Question regarding being eligible to join air force

2,666 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by AggieEP
JimbosHatBarelyFits
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Hi, I'm interested in joining the Air Force as an officer. I had a DWI in 2008, I also had a friend in the car that had marijuana and so I got possession. This was expunged. So, I was arrested but not charged/convicted. It's supposedly still on my FBI record? but not on my civilian? I think that's correct. Anyways, I'm just wondering if this would keep me from being eligible to join? Thanks so much.

Sorry that it's written poorly, the expunge, arrest, charged etc. is confusing to me. I just know that it was expunged and I was arrested and that's all that shows up on my record (FBI record).

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have nothing else on my record except minor traffic violations
74OA
AG
Typically the AF has plenty of clean-sheet officer applicants to choose from so, while it's doable, it'll be difficult.......
Noblemen06
AG
While that kind of behavior would surely get you kicked out as an officer, you may have some hope for getting in if it's far enough behind you (and a strict anomaly in your otherwise spotless record). Talk to an officer recruiter for the official answer.
Bryank89
Be honest on your applications and upfront about the circumstances and result of the arrest. If you are otherwise an upstanding citizen you should be fine. Seek official guidance at a local recruiting office.
JimbosHatBarelyFits
AG
Thank you for the replies. Man, I wish I could do that night over. I literally had two beers that night and had nothing to do with the marijuana, it was just in my vehicle at the wrong time.
Ulysses90
AG
Quote:

Be honest on your applications and upfront about the circumstances and result of the arrest.

I concur. Be absolutely up-front and do not down-play or soft-pedal the original charges. Expunged means nothing because that is just the disposition. The background investigation turns up the arrest and that is where the story begins as far as the DoD Central Adjudication Facility (DoDCAF) is concerned. I saw this burn people 20 years ago who were told by judges, their JPO, and everyone else that their records were sealed or expunged.

One particular case stands out in my memory because the recruit enlisted with a Type-1 program (no criminal involvement other than minor traffic violations) and shipped to boot camp just before the 1996 government shut-down. He was happily in third phase at recruit training when the backlog of background investigations was cleared and his record check showed an undisclosed arrest for possession of marijuana. Later in the day after I got the news at the recruiting station I got a call from the recruit's father who tells me, "It's my fault because I told my son not to disclose the arrest. The case was sealed as a juvenile record based on a plea of nolo contendre and the judge said the case was sealed."

The father then tells me that he's a retired USAF LtCol who had commanded a recruiting unit in the Air Force and he asked some friends in local law enforcement to run background checks which showed no arrests. I told him that his son was an adult who lied to me at pre-ship screening and that why he lied was not really relevant to the question of whether he would be discharged for fraudulent enlistment. I read to him on the phone the screening questions where it explicitly states that recruits must disclose all police involvement where they were arrested or detained regardless of initial or pleaded charges, sealed records, expungement, or not guilty pleas.

The recruit did stay and graduate because up to that point he was doing well enough that he was a platoon guide and his DI went to bat for him and the CG issued him a waiver after the fact. He did however lose his Type-1 program and got another MOS assignment that was probably far less desirable than the Comm-Data OccField guarantee with which he had shipped to boot camp.

There was also a recruiting scandal in 1989 when Recruiting Station Pittsburgh was found to have had lots of recruits enlisted with forged high school diplomas that were submitted with the knowledge (and probably assistance) of some recruiters. This went on for several years and when it was discovered and the guilty in uniform were prosecuted the Corps tracked down the Marines that had made it through boot camp but had no high school diploma and they discharged them for not having a high school diploma. This took about a year from the time the scandal broke till the court martials were over and they tracked down the non-grad Marines.
One of those Marines was a Sergeant in the platoon of a friend of mine who realized what was about to happen when the story broke. He immediately enrolled in community college and took classes in the evening until he got the 15 semester credit hours of college level course work that is treated as equivalent to a high school diploma. When NCIS finally verified that he was one of the non-grads that had enlisted and informed his command he was allowed to remain because he had gotten the Tier 1 equivalency.

Lies will catch up to you eventually so document it all now and spend the effort to get the necessary waiver.
CharlieBrown17
AG
I'm a senior, air force contract in an air force outfit right now.

I'd imagine you'll have a difficult path in front of you if allowed to join the program at all.

Over the last few years I've seen people dropped for prior marijuana use without a citation that was self reported during inprocessing. I realize you didn't use but the DUI is still there which will be a wavier process and I haven't seen any granted a wavier for a civil involvement in my almost four years.
AggieEP
I'll weigh in also since I've gone through the OTS application process and now am enlisted in the AF (I was an OTS non-selectee)

OTS is hard to get into right now from an AF perspective. Academy grads get the first slots and then guaranteed contract ROTC candidates get the next spots. Whatever is left over and not covered by those first two groups then is available for OTS candidates (to include enlisted personnel applying to become officers).

I found the process to be both highly competitive and run by morons. There were tons of qualified candidates applying that had great whole person backgrounds and in some cases strong references to include senators/generals/other fancy pants to vouch for them. In short, you better have more than a degree if you think the AF is going to pick you up (unless your degree is in something that they really need).

As for the moron part, you have to put a lot of trust in the OTS recruiter to properly fill out documents for you. I found out after the fact when I was in basic that my recruiter was a dumb dumb who clearly didn't spend a lot of time (or possess the competency) to correctly fill out my personnel file. I spent the good part of an afternoon correcting the file and rendering it legible. Based on that, I have a low degree of confidence that this individual spent the time necessary to put a good package together for me for the OTS board. Luckily this probably worked out for the best as I ended up with a great enlisted job that's opened tons of professional doors for me when I do decide to get out.

So in case this is TLDR, summary is as follows, if you are serious about joining as an officer (really a wrong term since it should be applying considering the selection rates) spend some time to present yourself as a compete person that brings something special to the AF. Volunteer, pursue extra education/certifications, hold positions of leadership in the community/your profession, score really high on the AFOQT and impress the **** out of the Lt Col that will interview you as part of the process. Also, shop around for a competent recruiter even if that means driving, it's worth it to ensure that your packet doesn't get put together by someone who doesn't give a crap if you are selected or not.

Oh, and the AF hates DUI's... with a passion so good luck.
Aggie@state.gov
AG
Neither AFA grads or ROTC grads go to OTS. so they are not 'taking up' any slots.

There may be a reduction of OTS slots overall, or a reduction of commissioned USAF officers in total, but to say that AFA grads and ROTC grads are taking up slots in OTS is not correct.
bufrilla
AG
AggieEP,
Just a Jarhead here, but your signature was on that package and if you didn't check it BEFORE it went to a selection board, then you are at fault. You should have ensured the info was correct, not after the fact, so don't
lay all the blame on the recruiter. You also have responsibilities here, as much or more, as anyone. So I would check the moron statement and look at your part in the package submitted.
AggieEP
By slots I meant overall officer billets, in recent years there just haven't been a lot of extra spots still waiting for OTS candidates. You can look at OTS selection rates for statistical proof of this statement.

And the parts I could check were checked on my app, there was info entered into air force personnel systems that was inaccurate and shoddy. I didn't have access to those systems until after I formally enlisted. It may be harsh to call them a moron, but the lesson stands, don't trust a recruiter, double check all your info and walk away from one he doesn't seem to care about doing their job right.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.