PCS'ing to Ramstein info.

2,613 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by FHUAggie
ZachNSouthKorea
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Howdy everyone. We are an AF family and just found out we are PCS'ing to Ramstein in June. Any insight or advice on the area would be much appreciated by anyone who has been there or is there. Onbase or of base housing, schools, just any info you can provide would be greatly appreciated as this will be our first assignment over seas.
AEK
AG
Not too much to add other than it is an awesome area. My step mom commanded Landsthul which is just down the road. She loved it and our vacations there to visit were always incredible. Congrats, and enjoy the tour. See as much and do as much as you can!
ZachNSouthKorea
AEK said:

Not too much to add other than it is an awesome area. My step mom commanded Landsthul which is just down the road. She loved it and our vacations there to visit were always incredible. Congrats, and enjoy the tour. See as much and do as much as you can!
Thanks AEK. We are really excited as we didn't think there was any way in hell we would get Ramstein as everyone we know wants to PCS to there.
Zip 88
Spent 3 years there and loved it. Live off-base if you can. Look into Erzenhausen; beautiful little village not far from base.
ZachNSouthKorea
Zip 88 said:

Spent 3 years there and loved it. Live off-base if you can. Look into Erzenhausen; beautiful little village not far from base.

Thanks Zip. Appreciate the info.
74OA
AG
Housing, particularly if you end up in on-base apartments, tends to be small. So you may want to be conservative with the furniture and other household items you initially ship. Unless the rules have changed since my day, you are allowed to subsequently call for anything that you've left in storage in the US up to your total HHG weight allowance--and you can do so multiple times. So once you get there and see what you really need and what will fit, you can order specific items and boxes you left behind to be shipped from your storage inventory. I did exactly that on my last overseas long tour.
Zip 88
If you ever play golf on base, remember, everything breaks towards Machenbach Road.

Defies all laws of physics, really.
Aggie12B
AG
I was stationed about 40 minutes away from Ramstein, in Baumholder, for six-and-a-half years. Ramstein is in a very pretty part of Germany, in my opinion. There are a lot of American amenities in and around Ramstein. My advice is to travel as much as you can, both in and outside Germany. Ryan Air and Wings Over Germany both offer really economical flights to many locations; also, take advantage of MWR and USO trips. My wife really took advantage of those travel opportunities while we were in Germany, especially during my 4 deployments.
Noblemen06
AG
Ramstein area is Little America - get out and away to see the "real Germany" as much as you can. The location is amazing as it relates to getting out to see the rest of the country and Europe further afield.

Highly recommend the chateaubriand at the Alt Landstuhl restaurant down the road.
Zip 88
Noblemen06 said:

Highly recommend the chateaubriand at the Alt Landstuhl restaurant down the road.

That stuff was fantastic!

What was that grease-like stuff with crunchy bits in it that they gave you to spread on your bread?
74OA
AG
Schmalz
ZachNSouthKorea
Thanks everyone. Really appreciate all the advice and info.
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
Living there is great but it is pretty isolated. 40-50 miles from Heidelberg, Frankfurt, Weisbaden but 2-300 from Munich or Berlin. Plan carefully to go to Paris, Switzerland, Italy, London. Your time will go quicker than you think
Say Chowdah
AG
Quote:

Your time will go quicker than you think
THIS!

I was in Germany for two years. Granted I was a lowly E2 upon arrival and was stationed in an armpit (Vilseck), however, I traveled as much as I could and the experience was amazing! The post community center may have bus tours that you can take (they did back in the day).

A beach trip to Costa Brava, Spain is a must as are Venice, Paris, London and Brussels.

Have a great time!
jwyatt22
Definitely recommend off base. I had a great place in Landstuhl. Plenty of options. Also use the MWR program. When I was there we had a great program.
americanaggie
AG
We were at Spangdahlem (about an hour away from Ramstein) for 2 years, and loved every minute of it. If you are on Facebook there are a lot of Ramstein-based groups that can provide great advice and answer a ton of questions. I'd recommend you prepare before your PCS by taking the online driver's license tutorials. Once you arrive in-country you'll want to start house-hunting immediately and it sure does help to be able to drive right away! Also- double check on the above-mentioned advice re: storage of HHG. I know we were able to put whatever we wanted into Stateside storage, but were not able to retrieve anything until we PCSd back to the States. Best of luck and enjoy Germany- it's a great assignment!
americanaggie
AG
Also- don't miss out on the Bazaars! Great shopping!
McInnis80
Hope you get to see the basketball game this November with the family. That should be cool.
FHUAggie
6 years as an AF brat at Ramstein and hands-down some of the best years of my life.

Definitely use the MWR, especially in Garmisch. If I remember correctly, it's a super nice joint at the base of the Alps with a nearby PX and super friendly locals.

If you like soccer, check FCK, or Futbol Club Kaiserslautern. They suck now, but were good when I was younger and have great apparel and following.

The Netherlands also has (had?) great MWR bungalows where Schusteburg (sp?) used to be, and my family would go there every year. Really beautiful area not far from Amsterdam I believe.

Castles are abundant, and always worth the trip.

Also, train down to Freiburg and enjoy the greater area. The best theme park as far as roller coasters I've ever been to is in the area as well as Colmar, FR, Dachau, and the town itself has an authentic Medieval gate at the heart of its main district...great food, shopping, and unique water 'troths' running through the streets carrying spring water. They even have what's considered the most beautiful gothic church spire in the world. Stay at Hotel Oberkirch, eat at their restraunt, and enjoy the market in the cathedral square in the AM.

If you have kids that like baseball, get them into Ramsteins Little League. Chances are, if they make the All-Star team, you'll get an awesome chance to head back to the states and watch your kids play in Williamsport.

I'll shut up now! Thank you very much for your service and enjoy a truly wonderful part of the world!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.