Long shot, but re: aggie ring antiquing in corps

2,997 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by HollywoodBQ
The_Waco_Kid
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Howdy! Class of '13 here.
When I got my ring, a buddy of mine picked it up for me and "corps antiqued" it (was originally a natural finish) before giving it to me when I came bank from a semester overseas. The look grew on me, and I have worn it daily for five years now. My girlfriend has made comments on how great the ring would look if it were bright and shiny, but I've always dismissed the idea. She took it into the jewellers' today while I was napping between shifts, and now it's back to the natural finish.
Anybody know what my buddy could have done to it to give it an "antique" finish? I've heard shoe polish and/or soot blackening, but I don't know the correct procedure.
Zip 88
"Ring Dunk" in Heel & Sole.
Noblemen06
AG
We used Heel & Sole edge dressing to antique our stuff (Corps stack, band lyres, etc.). Paint the piece up, let it dry, and then brasso the surfaces that come into contact with the polishing rag.

Never knew anyone that did it to their ring, though.
bigtruckguy3500
Do they even make heel and sole anymore? Fish were having a hard time finding it when I was a zip several years ago. I'd probably avoid brasso as it is a bit more harsh and abrasive and may take off more gold than you want to.

How did the ring office let someone else pick it up, and how did your buddy think it would be a good idea to do that to your ring without asking?
Noblemen06
AG
Agreed. I'd never do that to my ring!
TangoMike
I've never heard of "corps antique"
BQ78
AG
My dad for several years did his with India Ink
CT'97
AG
Wear your ring until it builds up on it's own.
HollywoodBQ
AG
So check this out... My major was Agricultural Engineering with the Forest Engineering Option (they don't offer it anymore). Basically, as an Ag Engineer, you have to take some Ag classes in addition to Engineering and I'm an Alaska guy so, I figured Forestry sounded good. Way better than Animal Science or Food Processing or whatever.

So... during my 12 hours of Forestry, we had to take some field trips out to East Texas to tour Sawmills, Papermills, etc. Anyway, this gal giving us a tour was an Aggie who had probably been working at the papermill in Evadale for maybe 2-5 years. I'm Class of '92, I think she was like Class of '88 or something.

Anyway, as I'm scoping out her A&M ring, it is totally blackened in. In our group of 15 students, there's me, 1 Corps Turd from E-1 and an old retired Vietnam Veteran Army Colonel who had gone to VMI but after he retired from the Army decided to get another undergrad degree from A&M.

So, I ask the gal giving the tour if she was in the Corps since her ring was "Antiqued". She told me, No. She wasn't in the Corps and her ring wasn't antiqued. She said her ring was the rose finish but, she had been working at the papermill for several years and her ring had darkened from being at the papermill everyday.

I don't know what your buddy might have done to your ring but, you could leave it at a papermill for a couple years and it will look antiqued.
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
HollywoodBQ said:

So check this out... My major was Agricultural Engineering with the Forest Engineering Option (they don't offer it anymore). Basically, as an Ag Engineer, you have to take some Ag classes in addition to Engineering and I'm an Alaska guy so, I figured Forestry sounded good. Way better than Animal Science or Food Processing or whatever.

So... during my 12 hours of Forestry, we had to take some field trips out to East Texas to tour Sawmills, Papermills, etc. Anyway, this gal giving us a tour was an Aggie who had probably been working at the papermill in Evadale for maybe 2-5 years. I'm Class of '92, I think she was like Class of '88 or something.

Anyway, as I'm scoping out her A&M ring, it is totally blackened in. In our group of 15 students, there's me, 1 Corps Turd from E-1 and an old retired Vietnam Veteran Army Colonel who had gone to VMI but after he retired from the Army decided to get another undergrad degree from A&M.

So, I ask the gal giving the tour if she was in the Corps since her ring was "Antiqued". She told me, No. She wasn't in the Corps and her ring wasn't antiqued. She said her ring was the rose finish but, she had been working at the papermill for several years and her ring had darkened from being at the papermill everyday.

I don't know what your buddy might have done to your ring but, you could leave it at a papermill for a couple years and it will look antiqued.
We got ours "antiqued" originally. Don't they still give you a choice? My wife did the same thing - when putting in a diamond - she had them "clean the ring up " ! Just left it that way but would rather have it blackened .
HollywoodBQ
AG
BigJim, they've got a few more choices today.
http://www.aggienetwork.com/ring/your-aggie-ring/ring-customizer.aspx
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.