Joining the military to let them foot the bill for Dental School?

3,325 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by bigtruckguy3500
FCBlitz
How long do you want to ignore this user?
So my son texted me and said he want to talk to a recruiter this summer about joining the military to get them to pay for dental school. Sounds like a good idea to me. Any of you done the same? If when did you actually enlist? I am thinking the sooner the better.
AEK
AG
If he is serious I recommend he talk to an AMEDD Recruiter. We have things called HPSP Scholarships that pay for Medical/Dental school. http://www.goarmy.com/amedd/education/hpsp.html

Pretty awesome deal. Plus upon completion he will be commissioned at the 03 rank and get a bonus every year. Not to mention that he will get a shot at a specialty school (endodontics, orthodontics, periodontist, etc) and board certification. All without going into debt and for the price of a few years of a service obligation.

It is the best thing going in my opinion.
bigtruckguy3500
He shouldn't do it just for the money, because there's a good chance he will not be happy. And, depending on where he wants to practice, in the end he'll come out financially ahead by taking out student loans. Usually he can also just join after school and they'll give him a signing bonus that should help pay back most loans.

That being said, it's a great program for peace of mind. And if you always intended on serving anyways, I think it's a good way to go.

The HPSP scholarship involves commissioning before the start of school and he'll get paid at 75% of O1 base pay for his stipend. They'll also pay all tuition/fees and reimburse for any required textbooks, healthinsurance, lab equipment, etc. So long as he commissions before the last day of a semester, they'll pay for the entire semester, but he won't get the stipend back pay. And with HPSP you won't start getting paid until school starts. Unless he can go to his officer training the summer before school starts, then he'll get a couple months of extra pay.
HollywoodBQ
AG
Just don't be like the Army Dentist from Fort Hood who refused to deploy.

I wish I could find a link to the story but, if you plug in Fort Hood and Doctor, Google just finds the shooter Nidal Hassan.
FCBlitz
All good advice and things to consider. The son did his Eagle Scout Project helping a wounded warrior suffering from PTSD out. They got on real well. Just days before the initial start of the project the soldier took his life.

I simply believe my son who would be an incredible soldier is just finally coming into his own on how to serve his country and prepare for his future at the same time.

We all love our boys and I am especially proud he is mine.
CactusThomas
AG
My experience was that the people who came into the army wanting to get something out of it were terrible soldiers. Miserable too.
clarythedrill
CactusThomas said:

My experience was that the people who came into the army wanting to get something out of it were terrible soldiers. Miserable too.
To a great extent I agree. Your number one desire should be to serve. What type of job should be way on down the line. That being said, the OPs son seems to have a strong desire for service, so his chances of a fulfilling career are off to a good start.
tgray99
AG
FCBlitz, I have the name & contact info of a dentist in San Antonio who did just that. Fantastic guy. Let me know if you'd like it.
FCBlitz
That would be great. I would forward it to my son. Much appreciated. swalker65 at icloud dot com
Endo Ag
AG
I did HPSP. It worked out very well for me. My data and opinions are getting a little bit dated.

Most important question, Is your son already accepted to school and looking at an HPSP scholarship, or is he starting college and talking to a recruiter about long term options?
Aggie1
AG
All branches of the military offer similar programs.
Diyala Nick
AG
If a desire to serve is part of the equation for him, it's a great plan. Putting on the uniform in any role will make him far better at most things he does for the rest of his life.
bigtruckguy3500
Aggie1 said:

All branches of the military offer similar programs.
True. All branches offer HPSP. The Navy, however, also offers HSCP. It is a far better deal if you go to school where tuition is dirt cheap (like Texas), because you are considered active duty while in school and acquire time in service, and when you graduate you commission as an O3E, instead of just O3.

In HSCP you are paid as an active duty E6 (or E7 if you meet certain requirements). Which is great because you get BAH and BAS and tricare for you and dependents. The catch is that the Navy doesn't pay for school, they pay you your salary and you pay for school and books and required fees (board exam fees, etc). I don't think there is any signing bonus here. If he plans on staying in for any more than 4 years, this will definitely pay off in the long run (assuming he has a desire to be in the Navy). HSCP spots are far more limited than HPSP, if he wants HSCP he needs to start the paperwork in the summer before he graduates from college.

With HPSP, the military pays your tuition (no matter how much it is), they reimburse you for the cost of any required books, fees, equipment (dental kits are expensive), school required health insurance, etc. They also pay you a stipend equivalent of 75% of O1 pay, but no BAH or BAS. You do get 1.5 months out of each year where you're paid at full O1 active duty pay with benefits (BAH & BAS). I think HPSP also has a signing bonus. If he wants to do 4 and get out, or goes to an expensive/private school, or doesn't want to be in the Navy, HPSP is the way to go.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.