Question for the Present and Former Band Members..

1,868 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by DevilD77
TAMU74
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
One of the great Military March songs is "Garryowen: 7th Cavalry March"
I don't recall ever hearing the Aggie Band play that march at halftime.
Set me straight on this.
Thanks and Best Regards
CanyonAg77
AG
We played it for the Cav some in their early years, for reviews and March-in. They later decided that Yellow Rose of Texas was their theme. I think the whole Custer connection was a little uncomfortable.

I don't ever recall it as part of a halftime. Humming it in my head, it seems like if you played it the speed it needs to be played, it's way too fast for marching.
ABATTBQ87
AG
We played Garry Owen when the cav rode into Kyle for March in from 1983 thru 1986!; never played it during a drill but we did play a blue gray medley
aggiejim70
AG
Never played it as I recall. Try this....go give it a listen on you-tube and think how you would have loved to have marched past the reviewing stand to that. It's like a 3/4 cadence on steroids.
The person that is not willing to fight and die, if need be, for his country has no right to life.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
TXAGBQ76
AG
We played for the Cav and in the stands often when I was there
BQ_90
AG
ABATTBQ87 said:

We played Garry Owen when the cav rode into Kyle for March in from 1983 thru 1986!; never played it during a drill but we did play a blue gray medley
Pretty sure we played it thru '90.

If I remember it's in 6/8 and would be hard to march to I would think
TAMU74
AG
Thanks for the feedback...and so goes my recall and memory.
HollywoodBQ
AG
We definitely played it in the stands for March-Ins with the Cav under Haney.
Once Toler became band director, I don't think we played it more than a handful of times. We definitely never played it during a halftime as pointed out already, the cadence/tempo wouldn't work for a halftime show.

As far as Blue/Grey Medley, the last time we played the portion that contained Dixie was Fall '88. We also stopped playing Patton for a while after somebody wrote an article to the Batt complaining about both songs. They said that we were "Warmongers" for playing "Patton". So, after that, the passback yell for announcing that it was time to play "Patton" became "Warmonger, pass it back".
aggiejim70
AG
HollywoodBQ said:

We definitely played it in the stands for March-Ins with the Cav under Haney.
Once Toler became band director, I don't think we played it more than a handful of times. We definitely never played it during a halftime as pointed out already, the cadence/tempo wouldn't work for a halftime show.

As far as Blue/Grey Medley, the last time we played the portion that contained Dixie was Fall '88. We also stopped playing Patton for a while after somebody wrote an article to the Batt complaining about both songs. They said that we were "Warmongers" for playing "Patton". So, after that, the passback yell for announcing that it was time to play "Patton" became "Warmonger, pass it back".
I know we've had this discussion before, but I don't remember if it was on here or another chat board. Some 20 years earlier we played an arrangement of Elvis Presley's version of American Trilogy, which included Dixie. So the FTAB is getting ready to go to GRW for a basketball game and Col. Adams get's a phone call which he took in the drum room on the 1st floor of HHH. It was from someone high up in the administration, I've forgotten who, asking him not to play Dixie. That was that for Dixie for the rest of my time in the FTAB. I find it interesting it made a comeback. Yes, I know you young guys have hard time wrapping your mind around the fact there was ONE phone for all of HHH. On top of that, it spent most of my first two years being repaired, as a member of the class of '68, a karate freak, loved to get drunk and kick it through the wall.
The person that is not willing to fight and die, if need be, for his country has no right to life.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
CanyonAg77
AG
Regarding the phone, yes I believe it. And in my day, there were phones in every room. I wonder about the new dorm renovations....since everyone has cell phones, do they even put land line phones into dorm rooms anymore?

And we've talked about Dixie before. It was in a Blue/Grey Medley that we did for a couple of years, then someone complained about it. So Major (later COL) Haney rearranged it, slipping Bonnie Blue Flag into the tune.

Of course, anyone with an ounce of sense knows that Dixie is simply a southerner yearning for home, and Bonnie Blue Flag was a full-on states rights anthem. But the historically ignorant SJWs of the day didn't know that, and that's what we played.
TAMU74
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

Regarding the phone, yes I believe it. And in my day, there were phones in every room. I wonder about the new dorm renovations....since everyone has cell phones, do they even put land line phones into dorm rooms anymore?

And we've talked about Dixie before. It was in a Blue/Grey Medley that we did for a couple of years, then someone complained about it. So Major (later COL) Haney rearranged it, slipping Bonnie Blue Flag into the tune.

Of course, anyone with an ounce of sense knows that Dixie is simply a southerner yearning for home, and Bonnie Blue Flag was a full-on states rights anthem. But the historically ignorant SJWs of the day didn't know that, and that's what we played.
Great point
DevilD77
AG
Always loved hearing Garryowen play while riding into Kyle Field. It even seemed like my horse would get "in step" with the song.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.