Old MREs

3,252 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Trinity Ag
HustlerAggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Does anyone else watch this guy's channel on YouTube?

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2I6Et1JkidnnbWgJFiMeHA

He does a new video about every week or two opening up old (and new) military MREs. A lot of the time they are still edible and he will eat the contents if possible. He has done a lot from conflicts such as Vietnam and WWII. He also does a lot of international MREs as well.
Ag_of_08
AG
Didn't he have a north Korean one at one point?
HustlerAggie
Ag_of_08 said:

Didn't he have a north Korean one at one point?
Very possible. He has done tons of them, and looking at his videos, it looks like there are a lot from the Korean war as well as recent ones from South Korea. I went back and watched a bunch of them when I first subscribed to him, but I just usually watch the new ones as they come out now when he posts them.

The oldest one I saw him do was hardtack from an 1863 Civil war kit, which was interesting. (yes, he ate it) Lots of the older ones from Vietnam and stuff have cigarettes included and he will usually smoke those too.

The life raft survival MREs are some of the most interesting sometimes.
bigtruckguy3500
I think that was a joke. It included stuff like bullets in it and broken glass mixed in with the rice or something like that.
HustlerAggie
bigtruckguy3500 said:

I think that was a joke. It included stuff like bullets in it and broken glass mixed in with the rice or something like that.
Oh yeah, this guy linked above does legit ones; I don't think any are jokes. He is super-into collecting them. You can tell he knows like every detail. (He will say stuff like "That type-3 instant coffee used to be 1.7 ounces until 1984 when they changed it to 1.4 ounces.".....or something like that.)
Ag_of_08
AG
He may be right, I think he did do one as a spoof on the NK one, I just didn't watch all of it.
Colonel A. 1976
AG
Memories of eating those bad boys ....A LOT
Col. A 1976
Diyala Nick
AG
I bet he won't eat a circa-2003 meatloaf MRE. I just vomited a little typing this.
bigtruckguy3500
The veggie and cheese omelet still haunts me
HustlerAggie
He has eaten several omeletes. For instance this 1993 one:

Not sure about the meatloaf, but I wouldn't put it past him. He has eaten several meat products, such as these 1982 hot dogs:

HustlerAggie
This 70-year old WWII MRE that he just reviewed turned out surprisingly delicious:

Trinity Ag
S
HustlerAggie said:

He has eaten several omeletes. For instance this 1993 one:

Not sure about the meatloaf, but I wouldn't put it past him. He has eaten several meat products, such as these 1982 hot dogs:

There should be plenty of Omelette with Ham MREs available, since they were the least eaten meal of their era.

I still recall going through MRE cases at the end of a major field problem and finding nothing but Omelette MREs that people had left and consolidated as the others were eaten.

Cornbeef Hash was about the same in its day.

Hotdogs with bean component was a damn fine meal. Not for inflight use, though. Said so right on the package....
IDAGG
AG
There has always been decent rations and then rations that make you want to barf. I am old enough that we had C Rations when I was in the Army. On field exercises when they would issues C Rats, the NCOs would open the case upside down so that you couldn't see what the individual C Rats were. You went through the line, picked up a box out of the case and hoped you got one of the rations that were edible. Stomach Russian Roulette.
Ag_of_08
AG
I got tricked into eating an omelet mre once. Sitting on a deer stand with a friend( i use the term loosely.......damn ******* tricked me into eating that *****), he offered me one for breakfast.

Yeah....... damn marines.....
easttexasaggie04
AG
Am I the only one that kinda likes MRE's?
Trident15
AG
easttexasaggie04 said:

I'm okay with 90% of the menus. But pork sausage with cream gravy makes me want to vomit. Chili Mac is quite the delicacy though.
usmcbrooks
The old school omelet with ham was good in my opinion. If you were lucky enough to get a heater, heat that bad boy up add the Tabasco and a bit of salt. Now the new one.....terrible.
CharlieBrown17
AG
Trident15 said:

easttexasaggie04 said:

I'm okay with 90% of the menus. But pork sausage with cream gravy makes me want to vomit. Chili Mac is quite the delicacy though.
Beef taco is good too.

Along with almost all of the pasta ones and vegetarian ones.

The maple pork breakfast sausage is up there with pork sausage with cream gravy
CactusThomas
AG
easttexasaggie04 said:

I think most people like them at first but after months and months of mre and ugre...
clarythedrill
My two favorites are from circa 1990-1996, and it is the Pork with Rice in spicy tomato sauce, and Meatballs, beef and rice in BBQ sauce. I was also quite fond of the Chicken Ala King, which most people detested....meaning I was always able to trade for that one and enjoy a meal.
Trinity Ag
S
1. Beef Stew. The Methuselah of MREs -- the sole survivor of the early menus, and still making it. Old school cherry nutcake was the bomb.

2. Spaghetti with meat sauce -- the old #5. Great meal, and came with M&Ms.

Everything else is competing for Bronze.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.