FTAB drill Texas Bowl

2,460 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by CanyonAg77
aggiejim70
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I just watched it on yahoo. That looked like a first game of the season drill. Did the FTAB do like the football team and just mail it in?
The person that is not willing to fight and die, if need be, for his country has no right to life.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
ABATTBQ87
AG
Texas Bowl:

1987 Cotton Bowl:

BQ78
AG
The en echelon step off right after the initial step off is more than a first game drill but it is also where a couple of guys screwed up that night. Other than that, you are correct that it was little more than follow the leader. Probably didn't want to screw up the band's Christmas for a relatively minor bowl. So yeah they mailed it in.
ABATTBQ87
AG
Did you guys in the 70s mail in your performance as well, since you didn't march in the Cotton bowl?
Rabid Cougar
AG
Someone get the popcorn !!!!!!!!
Rock1982
AG
ABATTBQ87 said:

Did you guys in the 70s mail in your performance as well, since you didn't march in the Cotton bowl?

Awesome!
CanyonAg77
AG
ABATTBQ87 said:

Actually, we were appropriating hats from the USC Band at the Liberty, and kissing Miss USA at the Sun.
CanyonAg77
AG
ABATTBQ87 said:

So the Cotton Bowl would have been the only chance someone from the class of '70 had to go to a bowl game. Did the idiots at the Cotton Bowl not let them march? I know my high school band had gone and marched sometime in the early 60s, so maybe they didn't let the college bands on the field?

I know that all the bowl games we marched during my time, it was a constant fight with the bowl officials to do our half time, not whatever idiocy they wanted. They always seemed shocked that we didn't want to take the field with the other band, form an outline of Iowa, and high kick to Turkey in the Straw while Miss Poultry Queen and her Nuggets were crowned at midfield.
ABATTBQ87
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

ABATTBQ87 said:

Actually, we were appropriating hats from the USC Band at the Liberty, and kissing Miss USA at the Sun.
So your class marched in the Liberty and Sun bowls, but not the bluebonnet
HollywoodBQ
AG
The formation starting after the 5:30 mark in the video looks like a pretty high degree of difficulty.

If you ever find a video of the 1990 Holiday Bowl halftime, please let me know. While Bucky and our team blew out BYU 65-14, a few of the BQ Zips phoned in their drill performance which led to an almost Rice level of catastrophe.

So, while there was no 4-Way Cross Through or anything that exciting in the Texas Bowl, hey man, it could have been much worse.

If you really want to complain about the current band, I'd start with the Bugle Rank member make out session I watched when I went to the Halloween costumed Midnight Yell this year. Now get grody!
CanyonAg77
AG
ABATTBQ87 said:

CanyonAg77 said:

ABATTBQ87 said:

So your class marched in the Liberty and Sun bowls, but not the bluebonnet
Lots of us attended Bluebonnet, since it was close to CS and we were 5th year seniors. In addition, the father of a classmate and very good friend of ours, was chairman of the BB Bowl committee that year. So she got us a block of tickets from her dad. First and last time I went to the Astrodome.
ABATTBQ87
AG
What stadium did y'all play cougar high in if not the astrodome?
Hey Nav
AG
1976 vs Houston was at Rice Stadium, IIRC.
ABATTBQ87
AG
That is what we called the 4 winds drill, 16 out 16 back
aggiejim70
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

ABATTBQ87 said:

So the Cotton Bowl would have been the only chance someone from the class of '70 had to go to a bowl game. Did the idiots at the Cotton Bowl not let them march? I know my high school band had gone and marched sometime in the early 60s, so maybe they didn't let the college bands on the field?

I know that all the bowl games we marched during my time, it was a constant fight with the bowl officials to do our half time, not whatever idiocy they wanted. They always seemed shocked that we didn't want to take the field with the other band, form an outline of Iowa, and high kick to Turkey in the Sraw while Miss Poultry Queen and her Nuggets were crowned at midfield.
OK Canyon here we go again. Let's don't question each others ancestry and/or love for Texas A&M. Yes, I marched with the FTAB in the Cotton Bowl 3 times. Twice when we played SMU and of course Alabama. No, we didn't mail it in The Cotton Bowl drill. Remember at that at that time, being on TV was a big deal. I have a vivid memory of doing the drill one last practice at a high school parking lot with football grid on it, and people running out of there homes to watch. At the game we were the home team so we marched second. Afterwards we took our place with the massed bands, high school's juco's etc. for the "extravaganza" After we got in formation, the blowers assumed the position and didn't play a note. Col. Adams didn't want to waste time trying to introduce a new number we would only play once. One more thing after we left the high school parking lot, we went to the combined band practice. Damn it was cold, so cold the Bama band wouldn't get off the buses and participate.
The person that is not willing to fight and die, if need be, for his country has no right to life.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
CanyonAg77
AG
ABATTBQ87 said:

What stadium did y'all play cougar high in if not the astrodome?
We didn't. We played Rice in their stadium.

EDIT: Whoops, my memory sucks. We did play Cougar High, but only my zip year. I don't remember it much. I'll have to think about that one.

After thinking about it, I remember staying at a buddy's house in Houston, and a disaster date when the car I borrowed from a buddy broke down.
CanyonAg77
AG
Quote:

OK Canyon here we go again. Let's don't question each others ancestry and/or love for Texas A&M. Yes, I marched with the FTAB in the Cotton Bowl 3 times
I don't know why you're jumping on me, I didn't challenge you.

And I believe the guy who was joking with you was referring to the Cotton Bowl game, not the structure.
ABATTBQ87
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

Quote:

OK Canyon here we go again. Let's don't question each others ancestry and/or love for Texas A&M. Yes, I marched with the FTAB in the Cotton Bowl 3 times
I don't know why you're jumping on me, I didn't challenge you.

And I believe the guy who was joking with you was referring to the Cotton Bowl game, not the structure.

I was referencing the Cotton Bowl game, not the stadium.
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
Peace !
Wildman15
AG
This has been throughly entertaining
BQ78
AG
There were fewer bowl games in our days so I would say the Liberty, Sun and Bluebonnet Bowls of the 70s were bigger than the Texas Bowl today. Heck our fish year if we beat Texas, we are in the Cotton Bowl. We didn't and finished 8-3 and did not even go to a bowl. They need to kill about half of today's bowl games.

And I hope no one thought I was casting dispersions on the current band, the drill they did on what I am assuming was short preparation was pretty good. Most non-BQs would not notice the late step off of about two guys on the en echelon manuever. I think being home with the family on Christmas trumped a fancy drill that required a week of preparation for this particular bowl.
CanyonAg77
AG
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas said:

Peace !
I don't even know what I supposedly did to rile him up!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.