Dealing with careless leaders

7,013 Views | 39 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Noblemen06
crunchyo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I am having quite the issues at work. I am a company commander of a Headquarters unit in the Army. We are Aviation, so naturally, we are a bit different in how we operate from the rest of the Army.

I did over a year of command and I did well. I never had any complaints. I got off work between 17-1800 everyday. Openly I admit we weren't going to the field much because we took the last year to field a new aircraft. Everything was well, and things were predictable.

Fast forward, with a new commander/CSM, over the last six months I have wanted to jump into the bus lane without looking both ways. Drink a bottle of Brass-O. Jump out of a plane without a parachute...

Things have been bad. My boss doesn't grasp how much logistics controls a headquarters unit. He doesn't grasp how slowly a unit like this moves. He doesn't grasp that we need recovery time from the field. He doesn't grasp that we need time to pack for a CTC rotation. To top it off, the CSM is definitely the Alpha in the relationship and constantly has my 1SG chasing his tail with crap that literally doesn't matter. Things like, having vehicles and drivers staged for movements to a field site that no one uses, having him facilitate the change out of M16s for M4s for his personal drivers, or constantly changing the TOC layout, forcing my 1SG to have to dig through containers or get equipment from other troops, etc.

The best part: last week we got back from 3 weeks in the field. Everything is muddy as all get out. We were supposed to recover this week, and then loadout our containers for a CTC rotation the next work week (first week back after the holidays). Anyway, I get an email from one of the S3 minions today at 1627 that says something to the affect of, "Appoint a POC for an M203 range and be ready to brief the colonel at 1000 tomorrow." WTF?! No...I will not be ready because I am about to leave for my daughter's recital in the next hour.

I feel like this is the worst unit ever, and it is MY unit. What am I doing wrong here??
HollywoodBQ
AG
crunchyo said:

I feel like this is the worst unit ever, and it is MY unit. What am I doing wrong here??
Can you get transferred to a line unit? Instead of HHC/HHT?
crunchyo
HollywoodBQ said:

crunchyo said:

Can you get transferred to a line unit? Instead of HHC/HHT?

Unfortunately no. I have 1.5 years of command and am supposed to switch out at the 2 year mark. I definitely don't want anymore time after this.
aggiejim70
AG
It's been so long, that I'm not in a position to give advice, but I can appreciate your situation as I commanded a headquarters battery where the CSM was always on my 1st Sergeant's butt 24/7. I also had a running battle with the battalion S-3, who's probably a retired two star general today.

Big difference is you're probably a career officer, trying to get his ticket punched as a CO and move one, I just did my two years and came home. I became battery CO when my captain got drunk, punched his wife out and she called the post commander at home. He ate the colonels ass out and that was that for the captain's career and commission.

Every morning for 18 months Top would stick his head in my office and by the numbers......."Lieutenant, I've been in the Army almost 30 years, I've fought three wars, been in *****houses on six continents, and I've never seen an outfit like this". To this day, I'm thankful for that man.
The person that is not willing to fight and die, if need be, for his country has no right to life.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
TangoMike
Here's the best advice I have, which probably is nothing useful:

Keep a log of what you're doing every day. Not a list of whines that make you angry, but a real list of the stuff you're doing. Post training schedules with infinitesimal details. [In theory] A signed training schedule can only be broken by the brigade commander (in most units), so if you've got your day wired tight, you can use the training schedule as a shield.

Post a running troops-to-task matrix (like on a whiteboard in the training room or something) that shows how many people you need to take vehicles to the washrack or whatever. Since you're the headquarters sure to include staff rats doing whatever it is the S3 captains do all day. Keep it updated as frequently as possible.

This will be very unpopular with your CSM and maybe even 1SG, but formally, out loud retain authority for some menial **** you don't even care about - like changing the weapons MAL, releasing vehicles from the motor pool, whatever. This will make your CSM angry when he has to ask you for M4s, but it will at least cause him the ass-pain of not being able to just use your 1SG as his personal errand boy.

Depending on what your career aspirations are, and how good your first command OER was, become a disgruntled *******. Say no, make people use official channels that nobody uses, make the S3 monkeys provide a real tasking order signed by the S3 when they want you to run a range instead of just a 1630 phone call.

Above all, don't miss your kid's recital. The Army will still be there tomorrow, but your kids won't be kids forever.
AGhistorian
I feel your pain, I was an HHC commander and the BC was equally irrational. However I was lucky and had a CSM that balanced him out a little bit.

If you haven't already I would feel out the XO and the S3, are they equally frustrated with this guy? I was able to get my BN XO to help me out a lot in avoiding/delaying the bull*****

I would also second the recommendation of tracking the things you are doing. This can also help you capture the things that he has already mandated and use those things as an excuse not to do other things that he just comes up with. Something like "sir I already have X planned for next week according to your intent, do you want me to cancel that to focus on this?" Or get things locked in that require his boss to change, I generally found that if it had to be reported to higher then my BC got less excited about the "good ideas" he had. It is a small comfort I know, command sucks and is great at the same time. I just always found that it sucked while I was a commander, and then was great once I was done.

Good luck with your CTC rotation, hopefully that will distract him for a while.
clarythedrill
crunchyo said:

I am having quite the issues at work. I am a company commander of a Headquarters unit in the Army. We are Aviation, so naturally, we are a bit different in how we operate from the rest of the Army.

I did over a year of command and I did well. I never had any complaints. I got off work between 17-1800 everyday. Openly I admit we weren't going to the field much because we took the last year to field a new aircraft. Everything was well, and things were predictable.

Is it possible that over that year of admittedly easy life you have forgotten how busy a unit in training for a CTC rotation can be?

Fast forward, with a new commander/CSM, over the last six months I have wanted to jump into the bus lane without looking both ways. Drink a bottle of Brass-O. Jump out of a plane without a parachute...

IF it is really that bad, seek help.

Things have been bad. My boss doesn't grasp how much logistics controls a headquarters unit.

So you are saying an O5 Battalion commander doesnt know what an HHC is supposed to be doing? Chances are he/she had a line company and an HHC to get a battalion command.

He doesn't grasp how slowly a unit like this moves. He doesn't grasp that we need recovery time from the field. He doesn't grasp that we need time to pack for a CTC rotation. To top it off, the CSM is definitely the Alpha in the relationship and constantly has my 1SG chasing his tail with crap that literally doesn't matter. Things like, having vehicles and drivers staged for movements to a field site that no one uses.

Good on your CSM, as that is a forcing function to ensure his battalion has properly licensed drivers and all the equipment is being maintained and dispatched properly. This is very common in a Combat Arms battalion.

having him facilitate the change out of M16s for M4s for his personal drivers,

Ya, I do not agree with this, unless the MTOE says that is what the command drivers get. If not, simply let him know that by MTOE they do not get one.

or constantly changing the TOC layout,

There are a lot of things the CSM does at the behest of the Commander, that people dont know about. Maybe this is one of those times? We have changed our TOC numerous times until we found out what really worked the best. Sometimes change, simply for the sake of change, is a good thing. And sometimes not. Seeing as how the TOC is controlled by the battalion XO, what does he have to say about these changes?

forcing my 1SG to have to dig through containers or get equipment from other troops, etc.

Again, this could be a forcing function to ensure all equipment is accounted for, serviceable, and people are trained to use it properly. I am digging it.

The best part: last week we got back from 3 weeks in the field. Everything is muddy as all get out. We were supposed to recover this week, and then loadout our containers for a CTC rotation the next work week (first week back after the holidays). Anyway, I get an email from one of the S3 minions today at 1627 that says something to the affect of, "Appoint a POC for an M203 range and be ready to brief the colonel at 1000 tomorrow." WTF?! No...I will not be ready because I am about to leave for my daughter's recital in the next hour.

You and your 1SG should have ensured you have plenty of NCOs who are Range Safety certified on all weapons in your Arms Rooms. Most posts only require a SSG to be the RSO/OIC of a small arms range. If you do, it is really easy to plug and play an NCO into running a range. I understand you are in an aviation unit and yall are different birds (no pun intended), but plan for and train for worst case scenarios, as they happen more so than you think.

Have a professional conversation with those who you are having friction with. Find out the reasons behind these decisions....you may find out that their hands are tied by those above them perhaps. Call and talk to an HHC commander in a Cav/Infantry/Armor battalion and see how they are living. I bet you will instantly feel MUCH better about your lot in life. This is coming from a Cav CSM who has also done years of Ops SGM time too.
crunchyo
clarythedrill said:

crunchyo said:

Is it possible that over that year of admittedly easy life you have forgotten how busy a unit in training for a CTC rotation can be?

---I understand this, but we are side tracked by stuff that doesn't pertain to the CTC. We lack focus.

IF it is really that bad, seek help.
--Neverrrrr

Things have been bad. My boss doesn't grasp how much logistics controls a headquarters unit.

So you are saying an O5 Battalion commander doesnt know what an HHC is supposed to be doing? Chances are he/she had a line company and an HHC to get a battalion command.

--He commanded a line Troop with 15 warrant officers and 15 top rated crew chiefs (the lesser ones go to the maintenance unit). He had two vehicles and most likely 3-4 tricons worth of equipment. He never commanded anything else. I stand by my statement.

He doesn't grasp how slowly a unit like this moves. He doesn't grasp that we need recovery time from the field. He doesn't grasp that we need time to pack for a CTC rotation. To top it off, the CSM is definitely the Alpha in the relationship and constantly has my 1SG chasing his tail with crap that literally doesn't matter. Things like, having vehicles and drivers staged for movements to a field site that no one uses.

Good on your CSM, as that is a forcing function to ensure his battalion has properly licensed drivers and all the equipment is being maintained and dispatched properly. This is very common in a Combat Arms battalion.

--But why? We have bigger fish to fry like actually getting ready for this CTC rotation? Everything he has my 1SG does is not important to being successful in that department.

Ya, I do not agree with this, unless the MTOE says that is what the command drivers get. If not, simply let him know that by MTOE they do not get one.

There are a lot of things the CSM does at the behest of the Commander, that people dont know about. Maybe this is one of those times? We have changed our TOC numerous times until we found out what really worked the best. Sometimes change, simply for the sake of change, is a good thing. And sometimes not. Seeing as how the TOC is controlled by the battalion XO, what does he have to say about these changes?
--the XO just goes along with it and doesn't get his way, because again, the CSM is the alpha

forcing my 1SG to have to dig through containers or get equipment from other troops, etc.

Again, this could be a forcing function to ensure all equipment is accounted for, serviceable, and people are trained to use it properly. I am digging it.

You and your 1SG should have ensured you have plenty of NCOs who are Range Safety certified on all weapons in your Arms Rooms. Most posts only require a SSG to be the RSO/OIC of a small arms range. If you do, it is really easy to plug and play an NCO into running a range. I understand you are in an aviation unit and yall are different birds (no pun intended), but plan for and train for worst case scenarios, as they happen more so than you think.

--But why am I getting a tasker 1.5 duty hours before execution? I got it, duty hours don't apply to commanders and 1SGs, but that is just piss poor planning. And again, when am I supposed to recover my equipment?

Have a professional conversation with those who you are having friction with. Find out the reasons behind these decisions....you may find out that their hands are tied by those above them perhaps. Call and talk to an HHC commander in a Cav/Infantry/Armor battalion and see how they are living. I bet you will instantly feel MUCH better about your lot in life. This is coming from a Cav CSM who has also done years of Ops SGM time too.

crunchyo
AGhistorian said:

I feel your pain, I was an HHC commander and the BC was equally irrational. However I was lucky and had a CSM that balanced him out a little bit.

If you haven't already I would feel out the XO and the S3, are they equally frustrated with this guy? I was able to get my BN XO to help me out a lot in avoiding/delaying the bull*****

I would also second the recommendation of tracking the things you are doing. This can also help you capture the things that he has already mandated and use those things as an excuse not to do other things that he just comes up with. Something like "sir I already have X planned for next week according to your intent, do you want me to cancel that to focus on this?" Or get things locked in that require his boss to change, I generally found that if it had to be reported to higher then my BC got less excited about the "good ideas" he had. It is a small comfort I know, command sucks and is great at the same time. I just always found that it sucked while I was a commander, and then was great once I was done.

Good luck with your CTC rotation, hopefully that will distract him for a while.

Yes, they are equally frustrated and constantly overriden. The XO is a good guy but a bit of a yes man, and the S3 is a good guy too with smart ideas, but constantly is pushed to accomplish tasks in the least realistic, most inefficient way possible.
TangoMike
clarythedrill said:

crunchyo said:

12 months of command is required to get promoted to MAJ. 18 months MAJ KD time is required for promotion to LTC. There is no requirement for a second command for anything.

Quote:

This is not common. The Master Driver is the forcing function to ensure drivers licenses. The BMO and Tech are the forcing functinos to ensure maintenance and dispatching. Staging vehicles does not accomplish either of the things you're insinuating; it's actually a disincentive since the commander clearly realizes it's a false deployment, so he doesn't need to actually allocate appropriate resources to the task.

Quote:

Sergeants Major are not MTOE'd drivers below the Corps command group level. Individual weapons are not MTOE'd to individual positions at any level. Stop promulgating this crap. It's baffling to me how people quote DA Pams without ever having opened them.

Quote:

If the Commander or CSM are concerned about the TOC layout, they are focusing on the wrong issues, which only strengthen's the good captain's unit concerns. Nothing in the TOC is the CSM's lane. Changing things just for the sake of changing things is not a good thing. There is an SOP TOC layout for a reason, so that the S3 monkeys can quickly jump the TOC in a movement without having to stop and wonder where they should put the stupid plasma TV this time.

Quote:

Pillaging containers is a way to ensure property accountability, serviceability, and training? Odd methods, at best. I bet the PBO is excited for the backup...

Quote:

Having range NCOs, etc, has nothing to do with his complaint. He never said he couldn't meet the manning requirements, he said he was frustrated with the flash to bang time from the S3 shop. Plus, if you have any awareness of ammo accounts, you would realize it's probably impossible to get ammo allocated by 10 am anyway.

clarythedrill
Tribe2013 said:

clarythedrill said:

crunchyo said:

12 months of command is required to get promoted to MAJ. 18 months MAJ KD time is required for promotion to LTC. There is no requirement for a second command for anything.

The point is that if you make Battalion Commander, you are not a dumb person, and with the schooling that goes with gaining that position, he/she knows how to utilize his command better than a company grade.

Quote:

This is not common. The Master Driver is the forcing function to ensure drivers licenses. The BMO and Tech are the forcing functinos to ensure maintenance and dispatching. Staging vehicles does not accomplish either of the things you're insinuating; it's actually a disincentive since the commander clearly realizes it's a false deployment, so he doesn't need to actually allocate appropriate resources to the task.

BS. The Master Driver certifies the training, but has no say in forcing any company to have a certain number of drivers or users available for the vehicles in the motor pool. By forcing all vehicles to be dispatched, it forces maintenance to be performed on all vehicles and that they go through a QA/QC process to ensure they are mechanically correct and safe to leave the motor pool. If you think this is a bad thing, well, that just tells me you don't care too much about your OR rating.

Quote:

Sergeants Major are not MTOE'd drivers below the Corps command group level. Individual weapons are not MTOE'd to individual positions at any level. Stop promulgating this crap. It's baffling to me how people quote DA Pams without ever having opened them.

No kidding, but the CSMs driver comes from somewhere, and the position he came from is authorized a certain weapon by MTOE. The driver gets what ever weapon he would be authorized if he was in his actual position. Clear enough? If you are a rifleman, you are MTOEed an M4. If you are the SAW gunner, then by MTOE you are authorized the M249. Pretty simple.

Quote:

If the Commander or CSM are concerned about the TOC layout, they are focusing on the wrong issues, which only strengthen's the good captain's unit concerns. Nothing in the TOC is the CSM's lane. Changing things just for the sake of changing things is not a good thing. There is an SOP TOC layout for a reason, so that the S3 monkeys can quickly jump the TOC in a movement without having to stop and wonder where they should put the stupid plasma TV this time.

SOPs change over time, and each Battalion Commander likes to put his spin on the TOC. Are you saying that if the TOC is not functioning to his liking he will not say anything? A poorly functioning TOC will make the Commanders life more difficult as they will not be providing him with the info he needs when he needs it. Its called information management. In the last 18 months my battalion did two NTC with all train up and multiple gunneries, and a nine month deployment to Korea. Our TOC changed/streamlined several times due to lessons learned. I have never seen an SOP that never changed due to it being perfect the first time. I guess you have. Lucky you.

Quote:

Pillaging containers is a way to ensure property accountability, serviceability, and training? Odd methods, at best. I bet the PBO is excited for the backup...

Who said anything about pilfering containers? There are lots of types of equipment that does not get utilized because some are too lazy to learn to use it and maintain it. Nothing wrong with being forced to take equipment out and use it.

Quote:

Having range NCOs, etc, has nothing to do with his complaint. He never said he couldn't meet the manning requirements, he said he was frustrated with the flash to bang time from the S3 shop. Plus, if you have any awareness of ammo accounts, you would realize it's probably impossible to get ammo allocated by 10 am anyway.

Reread the OPs post. It said to be ready to BRIEF the commander by 1000 the next morning, not execute a range. If he had trained NCOs, its simple as hell to plug and name into a range briefing (that should already be built for all ranges anyway) and be ready to go. Running a small arms range is one of the easiest jobs to do in the Army. To not be ready to run one on short notice is a lack of having trained NCOs to run them. Companies do not allocate ammo, the battalion Lands and Ammo NCO does. And ranges are scheduled and planned at LEAST 6 weeks or longer in advance, as RUFMIS will not allow things to happen quicker in most cases.

Everything above is my opinion gained from over two decades of service, including a line and HHT 1SG, and several assignments as an OPS SGM and CSM in more than just combat arms units. Are units different in many aspects? Yep. But some things remain true regardless of what type of unit you are in.

Have a good day.

Outlaw0206
AG
Crunchyo, do you have an email? I'm also in aviation at Campbell
AGhistorian
Quote:

The point is that if you make Battalion Commander, you are not a dumb person, and with the schooling that goes with gaining that position, he/she knows how to utilize his command better than a company grade.
I would vigorously disagree with this statement. The Army does better than many organizations at promoting good people but at the same time it also is notorious for promoting those who are self-promoting, career obsessed, and selfish. I have served under enough battalion and brigade commanders who only care about advancing their own career to know that dumb people do in fact make it to battalion command and higher. One of the facilities of military thinking is that rank and position mean that a person also has good ideas, this is often untrue. Failing to realize that those below you might have better or more innovative ideas is a a leadership failure.

HHC command sucks, no matter how you slice it, having a terrible/toxic commander makes it horrible. Keep fighting the good fight and try to shield your soldiers from the stupid stuff as much as possible.
crunchyo
Imnew0206 said:

Crunchyo, do you have an email? I'm also in aviation at Campbell
Hey buddy, I do but it is my name, so I'd rather not give it out at this time. Hopefully you can understand!
crunchyo
clarythedrill said:

Tribe2013 said:

clarythedrill said:

crunchyo said:

Quote:

BS. The Master Driver certifies the training, but has no say in forcing any company to have a certain number of drivers or users available for the vehicles in the motor pool. By forcing all vehicles to be dispatched, it forces maintenance to be performed on all vehicles and that they go through a QA/QC process to ensure they are mechanically correct and safe to leave the motor pool. If you think this is a bad thing, well, that just tells me you don't care too much about your OR rating.

Quote:

No kidding, but the CSMs driver comes from somewhere, and the position he came from is authorized a certain weapon by MTOE. The driver gets what ever weapon he would be authorized if he was in his actual position. Clear enough? If you are a rifleman, you are MTOEed an M4. If you are the SAW gunner, then by MTOE you are authorized the M249. Pretty simple.

Quote:

SOPs change over time, and each Battalion Commander likes to put his spin on the TOC. Are you saying that if the TOC is not functioning to his liking he will not say anything? A poorly functioning TOC will make the Commanders life more difficult as they will not be providing him with the info he needs when he needs it. Its called information management. In the last 18 months my battalion did two NTC with all train up and multiple gunneries, and a nine month deployment to Korea. Our TOC changed/streamlined several times due to lessons learned. I have never seen an SOP that never changed due to it being perfect the first time. I guess you have. Lucky you.

Quote:

Who said anything about pilfering containers? There are lots of types of equipment that does not get utilized because some are too lazy to learn to use it and maintain it. Nothing wrong with being forced to take equipment out and use it.

Quote:

Reread the OPs post. It said to be ready to BRIEF the commander by 1000 the next morning, not execute a range. If he had trained NCOs, its simple as hell to plug and name into a range briefing (that should already be built for all ranges anyway) and be ready to go. Running a small arms range is one of the easiest jobs to do in the Army. To not be ready to run one on short notice is a lack of having trained NCOs to run them. Companies do not allocate ammo, the battalion Lands and Ammo NCO does. And ranges are scheduled and planned at LEAST 6 weeks or longer in advance, as RUFMIS will not allow things to happen quicker in most cases.

Everything above is my opinion gained from over two decades of service, including a line and HHT 1SG, and several assignments as an OPS SGM and CSM in more than just combat arms units. Are units different in many aspects? Yep. But some things remain true regardless of what type of unit you are in.

Have a good day.

CSM- I am sorry but you are missing what I am saying in nearly every statement. Tribe hit all of my points spot on. I feel that you have been taught over time that lack of training is a failure on leadership, but in reality, you can't be trained proficiently on everything. Putting subordinate leaders into crappy situations is the root of the problem here.

As far as forcing soldiers to use obsolete equipment in containers, just for the sake of using it, is unintelligent. If you have two tires in your garage, one that is brand new and one that is bald, which do you use? Of course you use the new one. The capabilities are far greater. It will last longer, give better traction, dissipate rain water better, etc. Using a bald tire just for the sake of using a bald tire doesn't make your car perform better.

TOC - it's not the LTC changing it. It's the CSM. End of story.

CSM drivers - they are MTOEd whatever the hell I tell the armorer to put on the MAL. If I want to give them a boomerang and some ninja stars to throw at people, then that is what they are taking to combat. I need my M4s for my pilots because they physically cannot put M16s into their aircraft; it won't fit. We don't have riflemen, sawgunners, and crew served gunners in aviation. Sure, some people 'man' those systems part time, but don't forget, we are made up of aircraft mechanics, flight operations, pilots, etc. No one in aviation is kicking in doors or sticking M1 turrets in the enemy's backside.

Staging vehicles - there was no intent for my 1SG to stage vehicles other than to move people. CSM realized his errors of it sucking to take a 45 minute ride in the cold in the back of the LMTV, and they decided to take HMMWVs instead. The vehicles were already dispatched anyway. We just had to move the vehicles to the pickup location, and that is where they sat...while no one used them.
Outlaw0206
AG
absolutely, not a problem!
Eliminatus
AG
crunchyo said:

Things have been bad. My boss doesn't grasp how much logistics controls a headquarters unit. He doesn't grasp how slowly a unit like this moves. He doesn't grasp that we need recovery time from the field. He doesn't grasp that we need time to pack for a CTC rotation. To top it off, the CSM is definitely the Alpha in the relationship and constantly has my 1SG chasing his tail with crap that literally doesn't matter. Things like, having vehicles and drivers staged for movements to a field site that no one uses, having him facilitate the change out of M16s for M4s for his personal drivers, or constantly changing the TOC layout, forcing my 1SG to have to dig through containers or get equipment from other troops, etc.

I swear I do not mean anything negative by this, but this further demonstrates to me how much more different an individuals experiences and mentality may be in service.

champagnepapi
I seen Clary at my main body manifest as we were deploying back to Fort Hood from Korea. I wanted to go up and confirm that he was Clarythedrill but it would have BEEN really awkward if not.

Seems like the standard issue CSM. You need that though these days....you should see what basic training units are producing......
HollywoodBQ
AG
I wish I could give more than just one star to clarythedrill's first post in this thread.
HollywoodBQ
AG
Eliminatus said:

I swear I do not mean anything negative by this, but this further demonstrates to me how much more different an individuals experiences and mentality may be in service.
I didn't make a career out of the Army like many of you have but, it was always interesting how bad luck seemed to follow certain folks. I don't know if it was genuinely just terrible luck or if they did something to attract it or what.

Regardless of the hand dealt to them, some folks found a way to succeed and... some didn't. The same LT who got kicked off the gunnery range for safety violations would be the same LT who ripped the track skirts off the side of his Abrams Tank (I didn't even know that was possible until he did it) and would be the only platoon in the company to have a heat casualty, etc., etc., etc.
Presley OBannons Sword
Quote:

Anyway, I get an email from one of the S3 minions today at 1627 that says something to the affect of, "Appoint a POC for an M203 range and be ready to brief the colonel at 1000 tomorrow." WTF?! No...I will not be ready because I am about to leave for my daughter's recital in the next hour.
you should definitely complain to the BC that you cant get a live fire range ready because you have to go to a recital. you might want to go straight to the general actually.
Presley OBannons Sword
Quote:

What am I doing wrong here??
I'm not sure you really want the answer to this question.
crunchyo
HollywoodBQ said:

Eliminatus said:

I didn't make a career out of the Army like many of you have but, it was always interesting how bad luck seemed to follow certain folks. I don't know if it was genuinely just terrible luck or if they did something to attract it or what.

Regardless of the hand dealt to them, some folks found a way to succeed and... some didn't. The same LT who got kicked off the gunnery range for safety violations would be the same LT who ripped the track skirts off the side of his Abrams Tank (I didn't even know that was possible until he did it) and would be the only platoon in the company to have a heat casualty, etc., etc., etc.

For what it's worth, I have flown 100% without incident. I have always received top block OERs, and was put in command two years ahead of my peer group. You should probably stop assuming I'm a **** bag and try to offer actual insight other than "you should just suck it up; drive on."
crunchyo
Presley OBannons Sword said:

Quote:

Anyway, I get an email from one of the S3 minions today at 1627 that says something to the affect of, "Appoint a POC for an M203 range and be ready to brief the colonel at 1000 tomorrow." WTF?! No...I will not be ready because I am about to leave for my daughter's recital in the next hour.
you should definitely complain to the BC that you cant get a live fire range ready because you have to go to a recital. you might want to go straight to the general actually.

The fact that anyone would star this is laughable. Exactly the reason I am getting out. The Army doesn't give two craps about people. It's much easier to neglect *thinking* and *planning* and then have others cover up the lack of both of these. So many of these people would get fired in the "real world."
HollywoodBQ
AG
crunchyo said:

HollywoodBQ said:

Eliminatus said:

For what it's worth, I have flown 100% without incident. I have always received top block OERs, and was put in command two years ahead of my peer group. You should probably stop assuming I'm a **** bag and try to offer actual insight other than "you should just suck it up; drive on."
Bro, my post was about a 1LT guy named Gomez and others like him. I'm sure you're a superstar.

Back in my era, we had to seek out advice/guidance/mentoring from other Officers/NCOs in the Battalion. And/or, read back issues of Armor Magazine cover to cover.

You're looking for answers on an Internet message board whose primary function is Entertainment.

As far as your perfect record and top block OERs, congratulations. I managed to get top blocked with my mostly clean record. The major blemish being the time we were firing Tank Table VIII and my driver and I managed to destroy an 8x8 10-Ton Cargo HEMTT by running into it with the bustle rack of our Abrams tank (turns out breaking the A-pillar is really expensive to repair because it's part of the frame).
HollywoodBQ
AG
Quote:

Exactly the reason I am getting out. The Army doesn't give two craps about people.
You're right about the Army and its lack of care/concern for you personally. When I was a cadet at A&M, I remember one of the Army ROTC Cadre telling me how many birthdays, wedding anniversaries, holidays, etc. that he had missed because he was in the Army, in the field, etc. And he told me that's just the start of the inconvenience.

I didn't think too much about it since I wound up in the National Guard. But, as it would turn out, not only were both of my kids born on a drill weekend, I missed countless weddings, A&M Games (pre-Franchione era) and my grandmother's 80th birthday party. (Serving in a kinder, gentler National Guard, fortunately, I was able to be there for both childbirths including missing a MUTA-6 with a C-130 trip to Fort Knox to train in SIMNET),

A funny due to serving in the National Guard and when my birthday falls, I was (un)lucky enough to turn 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 and 29 in a Training Area at Fort Hood. Good thing I'm not a big birthday guy
HollywoodBQ
AG
crunchyo said:

So many of these people would get fired in the "real world."
As far as people who would "get fired" in the "real world', to use Lee Corso's catchphrase - "Not so fast my friend".

When I was in the National Guard in the 1990s, I can tell you that the most important metric for being successful was to have a full strength unit. As long as you had 100% of the bubbas you were authorized, you were golden. My first Company Commander was completely incompetent but... our unit was at like 105% strength so... he was good. One of our sister companies struggled with recruiting and therefore, their Company Commander who was much more competent than mine didn't get rewarded as much as my CO.

This concept prepared me for a career in computer systems hardware and software sales. In my business, they only give a damn about one thing - achieving 100% of quota. It doesn't matter how you get there. It doesn't matter if you are competent and knowledgeable about what you're selling or not. Over 100% of sales quota means you're a genius and 99% of quota means you're an abject failure (at least at the companies I've worked for during the past 15 years). The number of un-deserving / dip**** Sales Reps who have gone to Sales Quota Club is staggering. But... they usually don't qualify twice. Skills do matter in the long run.
crunchyo
HollywoodBQ said:

crunchyo said:

So many of these people would get fired in the "real world."
As far as people who would "get fired" in the "real world', to use Lee Corso's catchphrase - "Not so fast my friend".

When I was in the National Guard in the 1990s, I can tell you that the most important metric for being successful was to have a full strength unit. As long as you had 100% of the bubbas you were authorized, you were golden. My first Company Commander was completely incompetent but... our unit was at like 105% strength so... he was good. One of our sister companies struggled with recruiting and therefore, their Company Commander who was much more competent than mine didn't get rewarded as much as my CO.

This concept prepared me for a career in computer systems hardware and software sales. In my business, they only give a damn about one thing - achieving 100% of quota. It doesn't matter how you get there. It doesn't matter if you are competent and knowledgeable about what you're selling or not. Over 100% of sales quota means you're a genius and 99% of quota means you're an abject failure (at least at the companies I've worked for during the past 15 years). The number of un-deserving / dip**** Sales Reps who have gone to Sales Quota Club is staggering. But... they usually don't qualify twice. Skills do matter in the long run.

I don't object to anything you have said here, but the primary difference is that in the civilian world, if you hate your job/boss/get treated like crap you quit. In the army if you hate your job/boss/get treated like crap, you suck it up. The accountability of your next higher up does not have to be there.
Presley OBannons Sword
crunchyo said:

Quote:

The fact that anyone would star this is laughable. Exactly the reason I am getting out. The Army doesn't give two craps about people. It's much easier to neglect *thinking* and *planning* and then have others cover up the lack of both of these. So many of these people would get fired in the "real world."

Where in the wide world of sports did you get the notion that the military was there to give a crap about you? You need to quit whining and take some ownership.
Presley OBannons Sword
I don't think I've ever heard anyone that used the phrase "this is exactly why I'm getting out" who was worth a ****

Maybe you're the exception, but I doubt it.
HollywoodBQ
AG
crunchyo said:

I don't object to anything you have said here, but the primary difference is that in the civilian world, if you hate your job/boss/get treated like crap you quit. In the army if you hate your job/boss/get treated like crap, you suck it up. The accountability of your next higher up does not have to be there.
Most professional jobs aren't like being a construction hand where you can just "drag up" and go back to Texas when the weather turns cold.

The civilian job market is not as easy as it might appear. Wait until you wind up being the primary breadwinner and have a spouse who is a Stay At Home Mom, or... wait until you are older and have kids in college. You still need a steady income. I want to quit my job right now but, my youngest daughter just started mega-expensive college in August. I haven't had good leadership in over 6 years.

During the past 20 years, the number of times I've wanted to just quit my civilian job is in the hundreds or maybe even thousands. The number of times I've actually done it is less than a handful and I've never quit a job without already having the next gig lined up which can take a very long time. It's not as easy as you might think. Twice when I was actively looking for a new job, it took me 10 months to land a new gig. That's 20 months of treading water, waiting for greener pastures to materialize. Today in 2017, I've just been through a 3+ year long company sale - merger/acquisition process where we've been waiting 36+ months for the other shoe to drop. That's a long time to be in job limbo. At least in the Army, after 36 months, you'd probably be moved on to a new unit or at the minimum have a new chain of command in your current unit.

And if you want to talk about attrition rate and job dissatisfaction, I work in a field where our annual turnover rate is about 25% and we hardly hire anybody for less than $120K/yr. So, while the near term financial rewards might appear greater on the civilian side, I assure you, the job dissatisfaction rate can be every bit as high or higher than in the military. While yes, you could just "quit", the fact of the matter is that jobs paying north of $10K/month don't just fall out of the sky.
Say Chowdah
AG
Quote:

missing a MUTA-6 with a C-130 trip to Fort Knox to train in SIMNET
I was there for that. You didn't miss much. Except me and two other guys just friendly firing almost all of Charlie Company during our chow break. The instructor said "go play around with it. Get familiar." So we did. What he didn't say was "Don't shoot anything because it will require us to reset the entire system and that takes about an hour!"

We weren't popular that day.
HollywoodBQ
AG
Say Chowdah said:

Quote:

missing a MUTA-6 with a C-130 trip to Fort Knox to train in SIMNET
I was there for that. You didn't miss much. Except me and two other guys just friendly firing almost all of Charlie Company during our chow break. The instructor said "go play around with it. Get familiar." So we did. What he didn't say was "Don't shoot anything because it will require us to reset the entire system and that takes about an hour!"

We weren't popular that day.
Your SIMNET Fratricide incident reminds me about what I was saying earlier about how certain people are just completely FUBAR regardless of the situation you put them in. The SSG Tank Commander who blew the feed tray cover off his Tank Commander's .50 Cal on Tank Table VIII would be the same SSG who commits fratricide in SIMNET during the Battalion sized operation and then starts laughing about it during the AAR. "Hey man, we killed you, dude - blah ha ha"

One thing I really liked about SIMNET was the professional evaluators. After laughing about the SIMNET fratricide incident, the MSG and the Major running our group tore good old SSG Feed Tray Cover Exploder a new a-hole before I ever got the chance. Meanwhile, CPT 105% strength was nowhere to be found. No surprise there.
Say Chowdah
AG
Just for clarity, we didn't intentionally hurt the team. The instrutor's idea of "playing around" with it and ours just didn't align.

We didn't get into trouble because the 1SG couldn't keep a straight face when he asked us if we thought playing around meant blowing stuff up and we all answered "well, yeah!"
crunchyo

I don't think I've ever heard anyone that used the phrase "this is exactly why I'm getting out" who was worth a ****

Maybe you're the exception, but I doubt it.

83% of personnel who join don't reach retirement. I'm sure no one in there is worth a damn.

Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.