Moose Pots

3,368 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by JR69
aggiejim70
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
If you have to ask what they are, I'm not going to explain. I was just wondering in this modern, 21st century, PC world if they still do that. If we were in an all Aggie bull session, I'd tell you about the TCU weekend by butt year.
The person that is not willing to fight and die, if need be, for his country has no right to life.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
F4GIB71
A good friend of mine, '72, won a moose pot his fish or p-head year. Think he said it was $660 which he said paid his entire semester.
BQ78
AG
Any stories out there of anyone winning that wasn't trying? That would be brutal.
74OA
AG
There were a lot of honorary winners.
aggiejim70
AG
74OA said:

There were a lot of honorary winners.
YUP...............At the aforementioned TCU weekend one of my classmates was an iron lock to win. We had the fish as judges. In one of the great Aggie pullouts of all time they gave the pot to one of the seniors who was there with his fianc. Needless to say it hit the fan after that.
The person that is not willing to fight and die, if need be, for his country has no right to life.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
Stive
AG
Ok......I'll play naive. Since many/most of us are too young to know:

What was the moose pot?
Larry S Ross
AG
On the other side of the coin, they called the dance the goon grab.
AgLA06
AG
Stive said:

What was the moose pot?

I'm assuming something similar to modern slump buster territory except back then I believe it was usually whatever was left over after the most had paired up after the girls were bussed in dirty dozen style.
aggiejim70
AG
Larry S Ross said:

From my time you have your stories mixed up, the goon grab, AKA the pig push was the dance at TWU the Friday night before we played SMU or TCU on the road.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
aggiejim70
AG
Stive said:

What was the moose pot?
I'm pretty sure there have been many variations over the years. The classic would work something like this. Usually at a football weekend, or spring dance, everyone with a blind date would put so much money in a pot. Then the one with the "non-prettiest" date would win it. In the FTAB, the fish were the judges.

You have to realize that A&M in the 60's was not a place to acquire a 21st century attitude toward women. Hell's bells most of the dorm signs if up today would probably result in everybody from the school's president to the janitor getting fired. That was especially true when we played LSU or anybody else with a feline mascot.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
74OA
AG
aggiejim70 said:

Larry S Ross said:

From my time you have your stories mixed up, the goon grab, AKA the pig push was the dance at TWU the Friday night before we played SMU or TCU on the road.
That's right, but there was many a moose pot won at the TWU pig push/goon grab dance. I always wondered what the girls called their "pot"--you know they must have had an equivalent.
F4GIB71
aggiejim70 said:

You have to realize that A&M in the 60's was not a place to acquire a 21st century attitude toward women. Hell's bells most of the dorm signs if up today would probably result in everybody from the school's president to the janitor getting fired.
I still have vivid memories of a dorm sign prior to the 1968 Cotton Bowl against Alabama saying "Stop the Crimson Tide". Proper decorum (acquired after I graduated) prevents me from describing the accompanying picture.
JR69
AG
I remember that sign but don't remember which dorm it hung from
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.