SR-71 Blackbird Communication to Tower.

4,263 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by EMY92
92Ag95
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
SR-71 Blackbird Communication to Tower
CanyonAg77
AG
Another great SR-71 story

http://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/the-sr-71-blackbirds-most-spectacular-flyover-was-also-1719654907
45-70Ag
AG
Thanks for sharing

My grandfather flew the SR-71 or the beast as he put it and was chief of combat operations for the sr71 program out of kadena/Naha Okinawa from I believe '63-'69

He had some interesting stories. He passed away a few years ago but the stuff he left behind about his time in the sr71 program is amazing.

Thanks again for sharing that.
MTAggie
AG
Thanks. That was a great read. I flew helicopters in the USAF - needless to say, our ground speed readouts were confusing only if we were in a hover.
Hey Nav
AG
Watching the whole ground activities and then a takeoff of one of those birds was such a moving sight. Saw it a few times at RAF Mildenhall. Watching it takeoff and then go vertical into the dark morning sky (with the rocket like afterburners) is something I'll never forget.

Shared lodging with some of those guys back in the day. They had rooms at the ends of the "Morgue" at Mildenhall. They had to cut holes in the doorways so they could fit their egos through and not get concussions

They did look fabulous at the OClub in their polyester party flight suits, though.
Spyderman
Msgt USAF Ret
That was classic. Thanks for sharing.
Dirk Diggler
AG
Fighting Texas Aggie General Storrie was part of the original SR 71 training cadre. I have had the privilege to drink a few beers with him and he has plenty of good bull stories.

http://www.af.mil/AboutUs/Biographies/Display/tabid/225/Article/105507/major-general-john-h-storrie.aspx
CanyonAg77
AG
Jock11 said:

Fighting Texas Aggie General Storrie was part of the original SR 71 training cadre. I have had the privilege to drink a few beers with him and he has plenty of good bull stories.

http://www.af.mil/AboutUs/Biographies/Display/tabid/225/Article/105507/major-general-john-h-storrie.aspx
Somewhere there's a photo of a bunch of SR-71 pilots, in space suits and helmets, standing in front of an SR-71. All have American Flag patches.....except the Aggie.
CanyonAg77
AG
Okay, so it appears my memory is faulty. Find the Aggie in front of the U-2

DadsanAG
Appears he opted for an A&M patch over the American flag like the rest of the crew.
Rabid Cougar
AG
Probably did a football fly over, but we didn't see him.

Sorry...... I had to steal that one from the Football board.
Rabid Cougar
AG
or you can be Mike Fossum '80 and rock Aggie gear while going 17,000 mph during a space walk.
EMY92
AG
He also posted on Aggies Only from the ISS.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.