Navy ends ratings

4,554 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by BBRex
Pro Sandy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Effective immediately, the Navy has ended the use of Ratings (BM, FC, etc..) and will use NOS, Navy Occupational Code. So instead of referring the a Boatswain Mate Chief as BMC, they will now just be Chief Petty Office.

The goal is to allow Sailors to broaden their career by not being limited to just what their rating is allowed to do.

http://navylive.dodlive.mil/2016/09/29/enlisted-rating-modernization-plan-five-things-you-need-to-know/
2004FIGHTINTXAG
This makes no sense and seems like they didn't really think it through. It's going to be a work it out as we go along approach.
bigtruckguy3500
https://www.facebook.com/BigHeadDarryl/videos/806875246118801/
2004FIGHTINTXAG
So true.
clarythedrill
I am not Navy, but how is referring to someone by their actual rank going to be an issue as opposed to their job title? Yall do wear rank on you uniform, right? Seems like a simple change.

By the way, this is coming from a Soldier who has changed uniforms of various types over 7 times in my career (and looking at yet another one or two), so we are good at working through change.
zoneag
I'm not sure how giving someone a 4 digit number instead of a rating really changes anything. I think this was a solution in search of a problem. Sailors take a lot of pride in their ratings, and the reaction has been overwhelmingly negative, from what I've seen.
2004FIGHTINTXAG
To start, this is one of the last social experiments forced down the military's throat by this administration. They did this to make everything gender neutral. Yoeman, Enginman, Ordnanceman, Fireman, Aircrewman, Hospital Corpsman, Legalman, etc... doesn't fit their social justice agenda.

The Navy is very tradition oriented and a lot of sailors take pride in their rate. It's also very easy to distinguish someone's specialty by their rate and helps with task organization. If I hear someone say YN1 Joe then I automatically know that Joe is admin.
Rabid Cougar
AG
2004FIGHTINTXAG said:

To start, this is one of the last social experiments forced down the military's throat by this administration. They did this to make everything gender neutral. Yoeman, Enginman, Ordnanceman, Fireman, Aircrewman, Hospital Corpsman, Legalman, etc... doesn't fit their social justice agenda.

The Navy is very tradition oriented and a lot of sailors take pride in their rate. It's also very easy to distinguish someone's specialty by their rate and helps with task organization. If I hear someone say YN1 Joe then I automatically know that Joe is admin.
Has to from Cameron, Texas!
buzzardb267
AG
WOW....my Dad had his WW II Navy rating inscribed on his tombstone. He was so proud of that, and it was a motor mac.
zoneag
What's funny is going gender neutral, but now all E3 and below are Seaman. Makes no sense.
Lee72
AG
Typical establishment knee-jerk reaction. Agree it was not very well thought out.
As a Mustang, I'm still very proud to identify as a former RM1 (Radioman First Class).
Just my six cents worth,
Lee72
CAPT USN (Ret)
DogCo84
AG
I was just talking to my FC3 son yesterday and asked him how all of this was going down at his command (small ship). He laughed.

He described a situation where this all came out to the fleet as an email. No warning, no explanation and (apparently), the decision was made without input from sailors, chiefs, etc. Further, no thought had been paid to several real-world issues like: "Are we doing away with rating marks on dress-uniform rank insignia?"

The troops also thought that it would make stuff harder re communicating on board. 1MC announcements for "Petty Officer Johnson", or "PO3 Johnson" would likely result in multiple responses, vs "HC3 Johnson" or RM3 Johnson?

Finally, there are morale-related issues due to pride in rate? It is naval tradition...and some rates (Bosun's Mate, Gunner's Mate, etc.) have history going back at least 200 years.

He tells me that his ship is essentially pretending none of this happened...until someone forces them to change. Like the failed McPeak uniform changes with the USAF, sailors feel like this policy/action will probably reverse itself pretty quickly. Time will tell.
NormanAg
AG
I have several friends who are retired Navy folks and they are all up in arms about it. The most vocal is a retired gal who refers to it as PC BS.
zoneag
People are up in arms over it because of the way it was implemented. The brainchild of MCPON Mike Stevens, who was already pretty well disliked by senior enlisted due to his drastic changes to Chief's initiation/induction/transition/whatever we call it now. He basically did this on his way out the door, with input from a very small circle, and virtually no input from those who it would affect the most.

I recently retired, however my daughter is in "A" school right now, and was pretty disappointed to learn she won't be an MU (musician), but she'll be known as some 4 digit NOS code. It just seems so silly and over the top. Not to mention the administrative burden, which will be tremendous. All for the legacy of the uber PC SECNAV and MCPON.
2004FIGHTINTXAG
Quote:

I was just talking to my FC3 son yesterday and asked him how all of this was going down at his command (small ship). He laughed.

He described a situation where this all came out to the fleet as an email. No warning, no explanation and (apparently), the decision was made without input from sailors, chiefs, etc. Further, no thought had been paid to several real-world issues like: "Are we doing away with rating marks on dress-uniform rank insignia?"

The troops also thought that it would make stuff harder re communicating on board. 1MC announcements for "Petty Officer Johnson", or "PO3 Johnson" would likely result in multiple responses, vs "HC3 Johnson" or RM3 Johnson?

Finally, there are morale-related issues due to pride in rate? It is naval tradition...and some rates (Bosun's Mate, Gunner's Mate, etc.) have history going back at least 200 years.

He tells me that his ship is essentially pretending none of this happened...until someone forces them to change. Like the failed McPeak uniform changes with the USAF, sailors feel like this policy/action will probably reverse itself pretty quickly. Time will tell.
All true. The message came out one day in an email. No discussion, no forewarning, no input. Just a completely random email. All we are missing now is the circus music.
Pro Sandy
AG
Theyre back!

https://www.navytimes.com/articles/ratings-restored-effective-immediately-sailors-will-get-their-job-titles-back
CanyonAg77
AG
Trump making the Navy great again?

And regarding the term seaman, I'm pretty sure that everyone in the USAF is now called an airman.
CharlieBrown17
AG
Can confirm, airman is the standard term for all.

Doesn't really make sense to me considering airman is an enlisted rank but you'll hear enlisted above it and also officers referred to as airmen...
ccrouch001
AG
In my navy there was always clown music playing in the background.
Old Army Metal
AG
ccrouch001 said:

In my navy there was always clown music playing in the background.
Well now that we have rates back, someone get an MU2 and a calliope and we'll be back to optimal clown music levels.
NukeAg10
AG
I was always going to be an MMN, regardless of what the suits said. I didn't go through 2 years of nuke school for that bull*****
BBRex
AG
I was worried we were going to lose a proud and long-standing tradition of IC2 Balls jokes.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.