The Corps and ROTC

10,457 Views | 81 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by 2004FIGHTINTXAG
Mark85
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Class of 1985 here, but was not in the Corps. I also apologize if this question has been covered, but I don't frequent this board.

I have a 16 year old son who's first choice is the Naval Academy, but second is TAMU and the Corps and he is insistent that he pay for his own education. I know the Naval Academy is free, but don't know how that would work if he attended TAMU and was in the Corps and committed to serve after graduation. Can someone explain what the options might be for the service to pay for some or all of his tuition and expenses in that situation? Is there a difference between being in the Corps and ROTC, or are they the same thing? Thanks in advance for replies.
Warrior 66
Mark - please send me an e-mail at jramirez@corps.tamu.edu and I'll put you in touch with the right folks to talk about scholarships and ROTC opportunities.
Mark85
Done, thank you for the help.
CT'97
AG
Can't do much better than starting at the top.
2004FIGHTINTXAG
To be in ROTC you have to be in the Corps of Cadets. Tell your son to go to TAMU. He will get the best of both worlds. The regimented military life as well as the normal college life. He will then commission as an Ensign into the Navy. If he goes to the Naval Academy he will basically be in prison for four years. Both roads lead to the same end point...Ensign.
AirborneAg04
2004FIGHTINTXAG said:

To be in ROTC you have to be in the Corps of Cadets. Tell your son to go to TAMU. He will get the best of both worlds. The regimented military life as well as the normal college life. He will then commission as an Ensign into the Navy. If he goes to the Naval Academy he will basically be in prison for four years. Both roads lead to the same end point...Ensign.

A&M is a good experience but this is simply ludicrous. The academies are highly selective and basically Ivy League institutions. They set you up for life in and out of the service, much more so than A&M. Go look at the bios for flag officers and tell me if you notice any trends.

The quoted argument is also a slippery slope. If all you want to do is make Ensign, go to a school on a beach somewhere that offers ROTC, enjoy life for four years and get a commission.
Ordhound04
AG
While not as eloquently put as it could have been, 2004FIGHTINTXAG, has a point. Aggies have flag officers in our ranks, and our cadets do get the best of both worlds.

Your son will have an opportunity to attend the best ROTC program in the nation, and he will get to attend literally one of the top universities in the world.

Yes Westpoint ranks high in ranking reports but they always put an asterisk by it. "At schools where doctorate not offered". That cuts out Ivy League schools, any flagship public university, and any quality STEM program. They are essentially as small liberal arts college with mandatory ROTC.

Meanwhile our undergraduates have opportunities to become published authors in scientific journals, get to take political science classes next to a presidential library, learn about agriculture engineering from people we worked with Norman Borlaug, participate in over 800 student organizations, and do this all while having a full-time corps of cadets experience.

In addition, if your son choosesTexas A&M, we have academic, corpse of cadets, ROTC, departmental, and need-based scholarships.
A2Aggie60
AG
"A&M is a good experience but this is simply ludicrous. The academies are highly selective and basically Ivy League institutions. They set you up for life in and out of the service, much more so than A&M. Go look at the bios for flag officers and tell me if you notice any trends."

If anyone thinks the academies are similar to Ivy League school they know not what they are talking about.

There are two major differences between any service academy and TAMU.
  • Service academies are fully funded for the student. At A&M not so.
  • The quality of education you received is much better at TAMU. Service academies provide a good but really not excellent degree far from being Ivy League.

Since service academies own their branch of service, they have first rights to appointing flag officers. I have seen an 06 go to 07 and still couldn't poor piss out of a boot. But they were West Pointers.

Out

The Main Thing is to keep The Main Thing The Main Thing
CanyonAg77
AG
I'll try to add more later, but a couple of points.

The Academies are extremely challenging academically. Practically everyone there is smart, committed, and a Type-A personality. In addition, barring extreme circumstances, you WILL finish in four years. That means you will be taking 21 hours a semester or more.

Second, you need to step back and realize that you are talking about two different things. One, your kid wants to serve in the Navy as an officer. Kudos to him. There are several paths to that goal, including the Academy, OCS, Guard/Reserve, ROTC at a military-type school like A&M, or ROTC at a school where the ROTC is a much smaller part of the college experience. All of them lead to the same thing, commissioning as an Ensign. He has decide which path to follow.

The other thing you are discussing is paying for school. A scholarship through ROTC or an appointment at an Academy will help a lot. So would an academic scholarship, athletic scholarship, co-op program, working while at school, etc. etc.

People all the time like to say a full ROTC scholarship is worth, say, $50,000. Or an Academy appointment is worth $200,000 (or whatever). If you take either, you're asking an 18-year-old kid to give up five or more years of their life after college. You may be asking them to put their life on the line. You may be asking them to take someone else's life.

It doesn't really seem right to put a dollar amount on that commitment. And it doesn't seem right to "bribe" someone to make that commitment.
neutics
AG
This threat is somewhat comical, complete with uniformed opinions and not focused on the question at hand.

For full disclosure, I am a West Point grad, did my MBA at A&M and served on the faculty in Army ROTC in the Trigon.

First, in terms of cost an Academy wins hands down. Where else will a college student get free tuition, room & board, free laundry services, no car expenses for at least the first two years, and also get a monthly stipend? At least when I went there was an initial 'computer' fee of about $2,000, though that has probably come down. Also, the class ring is not free, and those are certainly more expensive today too.

ROTC offers the opportunity to compete for a scholarship. Some studs will receive a full 4-year scholarship, though those are much more competitive. Most will contract after their first or second year on a 3 or 2 year scholarship. From that point on they also will receive a stipend. Also important to note that the Academy commitment is 5 years, vs. 4 years for ROTC in case that factors in to the equation.

Here are my hopefully more informed opinions on the other considerations:

• The Academies offer a far superior alumni network, spread across the country and much more willing to lend a hand than the Aggie network. I have landed interviews, job offers, and helped other grads get jobs solely through USMA. My wife is A&M '03 and is always amazed at how other West Point grads, even those I have never met, are willing to go above and beyond to help me out when asked.
  • Academics may not be quite Ivy League, but are much stronger than A&M just on the basis of the quality of students you are surrounded by and how competitive the environment is by nature.
  • In terms of quality of the military education, my direct experience at both institutions again leads me to conclude that the academies are doing a better job here. As a military science instructor at A&M, 1/2 of the first and second year students had no desire to be there, and brought the class as a whole down. These were the Aggie Band types and others who had no real desire to serve, but rather wore the uniform to be part of the fraternity and were required to attend military science classes for 2 years.
  • A&M offers a real college experience, no doubt better than what any of the Academies can provide. I certainly enjoyed my time there during grad school. In that sense the Corps/ROTC does offer the best of both worlds. If his primary concern is selection of coeds, then by all means he should go to A&M.

That's enough for now. As much as they seem similar, these are two very distinct options. If he is dead set on being a career Naval officer then USNA is the better choice, hands down. If he is not sure, and probably wants to stay in Texas after his service, then he can't go wrong with A&M. Best of luck and Beat Navy!

TangoMike
While it will be an unpopular opinion here, I will second that the alumni networks are not even close. USMA's and USNA's networks are ridiculously strong both in and out of the military, all around the globe.

The academics are better at USMA/USNA, in part simply because of the very high potential of every student, but also due in part to every class being capped at 18 students. The faculty are also super motivated to participate in cadet/middie development outside the classroom, including mentoring sports teams, hand-crafted out of class academic trips, and a true 24/7 office hour policy.

The lifestyle is harder than A&M, because there are no off-post privileges for underclassmen and there is nowhere to hide from the system. However, the freshmen year at USMA/USNA are much less strict that the freshman year at A&M. The senior year is less relaxed, however, so the range of experiences by class is more narrow than at A&M.

For post-graduation job assignment, USMA and USNA get first pick of projected availability. For instance, at USMA, every cadet picks/is assigned his/her branch (Infantry, Aviation, etc) before the first ROTC cadet gets a chance to vote. So, if he's dying to be a pilot or a SEAL, USNA is the closest thing he will have to a guarantee.

A&M is great. I am glad I went there. But, the potential ceiling of USMA/USNA is much, much higher.
74OA
AG
nm
Noble07
AG
Quote:

• Academics may not be quite Ivy League, but are much stronger than A&M just on the basis of the quality of students you are surrounded by and how competitive the environment is by nature.

How did you determine the quality of student? Quite a few of them get a "remedial year" or a 5th year of high school at Naval Station Newport at the Prep Academy.

Their SAT scores aren't elite.

http://www.collegedata.com/cs/data/college/college_pg02_tmpl.jhtml?schoolId=1560

Their acceptance rate is low, but it's not a normal college application process.

Some of the Academy grads I've served with are great. Some aren't. They're really no different than graduates of any other school. I think Aggies are more likely to leave the military as a junior officer. Our network includes many people in the private sector. I'm getting out myself.

Some of the Academy guys I serve with aren't thrilled with their jobs, but this is what they know. They don't know what else to do. I do think the Naval Academy network helps them in the military.
2004FIGHTINTXAG
Quote:

For post-graduation job assignment, USMA and USNA get first pick of projected availability. For instance, at USMA, every cadet picks/is assigned his/her branch (Infantry, Aviation, etc) before the first ROTC cadet gets a chance to vote. So, if he's dying to be a pilot or a SEAL, USNA is the closest thing he will have to a guarantee.

This isn't quite accurate. The USNA, ROTC, and OCS all receive an allocated number of BUD/S billets per year. Not sure what the number is these days, but the Academy does receive more billets. Believe it's something like 30 for USNA, 15 for ROTC, and 15 for OCS a year. The Academy does not take billets from ROTC or OCS. They all have their allocated BUD/S billets and that's all they get.

USNA students compete for their 30 slots internally. ROTC students from across the nation compete for their allocated billets and same for OCS.

Bottom line is that it is extremely difficult to receive a BUD/S contract no matter what your commissioning source and neither of them brings you closer to a guarantee.

CanyonAg77
AG
On a related note for slots, USAFA gets about half of each year's pilot slots, and about half the class gets pilot training.
AirborneAg04
A2Aggie60 said:

"A&M is a good experience but this is simply ludicrous. The academies are highly selective and basically Ivy League institutions. They set you up for life in and out of the service, much more so than A&M. Go look at the bios for flag officers and tell me if you notice any trends."

If anyone thinks the academies are similar to Ivy League school they know not what they are talking about.

There are two major differences between any service academy and TAMU.
  • Service academies are fully funded for the student. At A&M not so.
  • The quality of education you received is much better at TAMU. Service academies provide a good but really not excellent degree far from being Ivy League.

Since service academies own their branch of service, they have first rights to appointing flag officers. I have seen an 06 go to 07 and still couldn't poor piss out of a boot. But they were West Pointers.

Out

I couldn't help but notice you said I didn't know what I was talking about, then neglected to defend your claim with any evidence at all.

TAMU is an excellent state school, one of the best land grant institutions you will find. It's near the top of the best return on investment schools. But you'll get a better education at a service academy, and I'm not sure how that's even empirically up for debate.
2004FIGHTINTXAG
Quote:

I couldn't help but notice you said I didn't know what I was talking about, then neglected to defend your claim with any evidence at all.

TAMU is an excellent state school, one of the best land grant institutions you will find. It's near the top of the best return on investment schools. But you'll get a better education at a service academy, and I'm not sure how that's even empirically up for debate.
It is up for debate depending on what the kid wants to study. For example, Business School...the Academy doesn't have one, where as A&M has a top 25 Business School. Both have top 20 Engineering programs.
Rabid Cougar
AG
There is no comparison thus an easy decision. You have winning football, baseball and basketball programs at A&M.
redcrayon
AG
AirborneAg04 said:

2004FIGHTINTXAG said:

A&M is a good experience but this is simply ludicrous. The academies are highly selective and basically Ivy League institutions. They set you up for life in and out of the service, much more so than A&M. Go look at the bios for flag officers and tell me if you notice any trends.

The quoted argument is also a slippery slope. If all you want to do is make Ensign, go to a school on a beach somewhere that offers ROTC, enjoy life for four years and get a commission.

No. The academies offer a fine education but they are not Ivy League.

Ordhound04
AG
https://engineering.tamu.edu/news/2016/09/16/soaring-to-faster-production?_ga=1.245326021.154875978.1465315355&hootPostID=feabe865f4ce8d77683570e944a44e74

Says mountains on the difference in quality.
Aggie1
AG
ref neutics post above:
Quote:

As a military science instructor at A&M, 1/2 of the first and second year students had no desire to be there, and brought the class as a whole down. These were the Aggie Band types and others who had no real desire to serve, but rather wore the uniform to be part of the fraternity and were required to attend military science classes for 2 years.
This comment tells me that he was at A&M during the days of compulsory Corps attendance - prior to 1965 - a long time ago - and a lot of changes have occurred since the days of mandatory attendance (minus vets, disabled, upper class transfers, etc)..

Nowadays, it is completely volunteer - and thus ALL of the guys and gals in the Corps are motivated. Whether or not they intend to make the military a full time career is another subject, but may or may not be the reason they are in the Corps.

While I can be considered an "old", I too was on the Det 805 staff from 1970-73 and can attest to the complete change of attitude from the days of compulsory attendance as a cadet myself vs voluntary.
The advantage A&M has over the academies is NOT having to serve after completion of 4 years in the Corps assuming a scholarship and contract were not signed but still get the benefit of the leadership training - and certainly not least - the environment of a major coed university with all sorts of diversity and choices of academic major. And often as not, if "the needs of the military" are such that they do not require even scholarship and contract cadets to receive their commission and the end of their 4 years of Military Science classes, they too are looking for employment other than the military.

There is a lot of argument over whether or not the current "New Army" is better qualified academically than "Old Army" because of the top 10% rule and higher average SAT scores, etc...
In addition, now that the Corps is volunteer, they can set "entrance requirements" and standards higher nowadays as well since it is not a requirement to be in the Corps minimum 2 years as it was prior to 1965.
In addition, the emphasis on better grades, General Moore, etc., seems to me to be much higher now than in the past.

But, the challenges the Corps presents from a mental point of view to withstand seniority, standards of cleanliness, excellence as a "whole man" concept, leadership training, etc., hasn't changed a bit...
To me it's like asking which is the toughest Board for licensure... Medical Doctor, Lawyer, Architect, Engineer, CPA, etc., which is nonsense because the mental anguish to achieve Board Certification as a professional are tough and rigorous for a reason and to say that one is tougher than the other is hard to quantify - because the intern is doing what he wants as a career objective - and it's not easy... The same is true of becoming an Officer in the United States Military.

Certainly, there are guarantees if one is selected to a military Service Academy - including guaranteed employment, etc. But the fact is the academic choices are limited when compared to a major university like A&M. There is no question that the selection requirements to get into a service academy are very, very rigorous and similar to Ivy League levels. The selection rate is very, very competitive - and, often to receive not only a commission upon graduation (obligated payback) but to get their entire education paid in full.

There are pros and cons either way. But, having had a commission and career in the USAF, and after retirement from the military having a complete second and even third professional career I can unequivocally say the A&M as a University and that graduates of A&M are universally accepted and appreciated as leaders in industry as well as the military worldwide. To make that claim as exclusive to an academy grad is just pride.
AAAAAAAAAAg - Air Force Aggie Architect and Hospital Administrator fm Amarillo, Altus, Austin, Arabia, Arkansas, Africa, Seoul, Bahrain, Amman, Kuwait, Iraq, Iran, Saudi, DFW-Fairview, Ramstein, San Antonio, Pentagon, OKC, JCAHO/JCR - '65, '69, '73 - A&M Letterman (ret).
Winston Churchill: “If you’re not a socialist in your twenties, you have no heart. But if you’re not a capitalist in your thirties, you have no mind.”
neutics
AG
henry07 said:

Quote:

How did you determine the quality of student? Quite a few of them get a "remedial year" or a 5th year of high school at Naval Station Newport at the Prep Academy.

Their SAT scores aren't elite.

http://www.collegedata.com/cs/data/college/college_pg02_tmpl.jhtml?schoolId=1560

Their acceptance rate is low, but it's not a normal college application process.

Some of the Academy grads I've served with are great. Some aren't. They're really no different than graduates of any other school. I think Aggies are more likely to leave the military as a junior officer. Our network includes many people in the private sector. I'm getting out myself.

Some of the Academy guys I serve with aren't thrilled with their jobs, but this is what they know. They don't know what else to do. I do think the Naval Academy network helps them in the military.

ACT/SAT scores at the academies are at least a full standard deviation above A&M. That's significant.

No one is arguing 'elite', just better than A&M in many dimensions. Based on my firsthand experience as a student and an instructor at both institutions (A&M & USMA) the Academy offers a better overall experience.

To put it in terms you can understand, the ratio of studs to duds at an Academy is perhaps 80/20, whereas the Corps of Cadets is a mixed bag. Not including the BQ's, I'd say it's 50/50 at best. Again, I was an ROTC instructor and observed/mentored/taught these Cadets on a weekly basis. Your anecdotes are limited in their usefulness.
neutics
AG
Aggie1 said:

ref neutics post above:
Quote:

As a military science instructor at A&M, 1/2 of the first and second year students had no desire to be there, and brought the class as a whole down. These were the Aggie Band types and others who had no real desire to serve, but rather wore the uniform to be part of the fraternity and were required to attend military science classes for 2 years.
This comment tells me that he was at A&M during the days of compulsory Corps attendance - prior to 1965 - a long time ago - and a lot of changes have occurred since the days of mandatory attendance (minus vets, disabled, upper class transfers, etc)..
Too long, didn't read. But my experience at A&M was in fact within the last 5 years. You are out of touch, Sir.
neutics
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

On a related note for slots, USAFA gets about half of each year's pilot slots, and about half the class gets pilot training.

Good info. USMA gets a disproportionate number of the coveted combat arms slots as well, ROTC gets the leftovers. During my 4+ years as an ROTC instructor I saw some of my best Cadets disappointed time and time again when they didn't get Infantry, Aviation, etc. At USMA if you want Infantry, they will find you a slot.
neutics
AG
Ordhound04 said:

https://engineering.tamu.edu/news/2016/09/16/soaring-to-faster-production?_ga=1.245326021.154875978.1465315355&hootPostID=feabe865f4ce8d77683570e944a44e74

Says mountains on the difference in quality.
Says nothing. Good for A&M, and hope it helps more A&M engineering grads land jobs in the defense industry.
redcrayon
AG
Yep, neutics definitely went to a service academy. They apparently issue "the attitude" there.
neutics
AG
2004FIGHTINTXAG said:

Quote:

It is up for debate depending on what the kid wants to study. For example, Business School...the Academy doesn't have one, where as A&M has a top 25 Business School. Both have top 20 Engineering programs.

The Academy has an excellent Economics department and routinely sends grads to the top MBA programs.

Agree that if you want to study poetry or social work or some other useless degree than don't go to an academy.
neutics
AG
redcrayon said:

Yep, neutics definitely went to a service academy. They apparently issue "the attitude" there.
you don't know me. I'm the first to admit (and told many of my Cadets) that they had the 'best of both worlds' i.e. a great education, solid military training, and a real college experience. So in a way I wish I had done ROTC. You and I both know that the most respected and often best officers when through OCS.
CanyonAg77
AG
redcrayon said:

I definitely heard a ring knocking....
neutics
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

redcrayon said:

Have rings from both fine institutions, wear neither
CanyonAg77
AG
Quote:

Agree that if you want to study poetry or social work or some other useless degree than don't go to an academy.

Academic majors available at West Point:

American Politics
Art, Philosophy and Literature
Environmental Engineering
Environmental Geography
Environmental Science
Foreign Area Studies
Geospatial Information Science
History
Human Geography
Kinesiology
Leader Development Science
Legal Studies
Life Sciences
Psychology
Sociology
redcrayon
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

redcrayon said:

How's your daughter? Been wondering about her recovery.
CanyonAg77
AG
It's been 5 months since the wreck, and just this past week, shegot to get off crutches and out of the boot. So slow, but still progress, thanks for asking. Has been at work, too, just doing paperwork. I think her squadron mates enjoy having someone to slough the paper to.
CanyonAg77
AG
neutics said:

Have rings from both fine institutions, wear neither
The whooshing sound you heard was the point going over your head.

Back to the OP, I think I have some insight as the parent of an Aggie cadet and of an Academy grad. I will try to sit and type a long response in the morning.
redcrayon
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

It's been 5 months since the wreck, and just this past week, shegot to get off crutches and out of the boot. So slow, but still progress, thanks for asking. Has been at work, too, just doing paperwork. I think her squadron mates enjoy having someone to slough the paper to.
Good to hear. Hope she's back to flying soon.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.