Transfer student into Corps

10,257 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by ABattJudd
Gator90
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
How does it work? Kid joins a transfer unit and does a semester as a fish? Then after one semester, leaves to join a real corps outfit? So, second semester they are a pisshead?

Will a transfer student have trouble being accepted into their new outfit?

I remember our Frogs having a difficult time, because they missed out on the bonding we shared as fish.

Thoughts by recent grads? Thanks!
Outlaw0206
AG
quote:
How does it work? Kid joins a transfer unit and does a semester as a fish? Then after one semester, leaves to join a real corps outfit? So, second semester they are a pisshead?

Will a transfer student have trouble being accepted into their new outfit?

I remember our Frogs having a difficult time, because they missed out on the bonding we shared as fish.

Thoughts by recent grads? Thanks!
I think recently it has worked out well for most. You are correct, first semester as a fish, but 2nd semester is determined by how many years they have left at A&M. Most will be pissheads, but some do jump to whitebelt. Personally not as big a fan of that, but that's how the apple falls from the tree. Additionally, some transfer will stay in the unit they were in (K-1, Sq 18) while others will be moved to outfits based on needs. The Corps has moved away from the stay loyal to one outfit your entire 4 years to moving to a unit where you have the opportunity to lead. Many have been upset about it, but I do know some people were moved to another outfit, accepted by that outfit, and developed themselves as a damn good leader when they may not have originally had the opportunity to lead in their original outfit. Way I see it is, yes I want to stay with the guys I put out with fish year, but you won't always be able to stay where you want in life and business. Your boss will move you to what will be best for the organization you belong to. A good chance to grow up as an individual and take on a role instead of going to a corner and crying. Some will not agree and that's okay.
bigplay
Gator 90. First thing is that the 3 transfer outfits we have are "real" outfits. All three are excellent outfits.

Transfer students joining late do their first semester as a fish in one of the 3 transfer outfits. At the end of their semester they can request to stay or can request to move to another outfit. There is a great process in place for them to pick the outfit they want and it helps them transition to be an upperclassman in their current transfer outfit or the new outfit if they choose to move. It has all worked extremely well over the last several years and many of the transfer students go on to be RVs and key leaders in the Corps. Our transfer student population has exploded in the last 5 years which required us to add a 2d and 3d transfer outfit. f you have a transfer prospect have them contact me at shawes@corps.tamu.edu and I'll help guide them thru the process of getting into A&M and into the Corps.

Colonel (Ret) Sam Hawes '81
Corps of Cadets Recruiting.
Gator90
AG
Thx Sam. Meant no disrespect regarding "real" outfits.

Gig 'em!
bigplay
Gator90, roger, just want to reinforce that these 3 outfits are really great and that we really want transfer students to join. Definitely get your prospect hooked up with me and I'll help all I can to get him/her here to A&M and into the Corps. Sam '81
74OA
AG
What's the rough annual number of new transfers (frogs) into the Corps?
Goodbull_19
AG
I was a fish this past year, and two of my seniors had been transfers (came in first semester sophomore year). I never would have known they were transfers, they were clearly not outsiders among their buddy class, and one of them was even CO of RVs this past year. IMO, being a transfer won't hold you down if you don't let it.

Another option, for people who are on a 5 year degree plan (engineers, change of major, etc), they just join the Corps as fish during their academic sophomore year and that way still get the full 4 year experience.
bigplay
We get over 100 transfer students each year
JABQ04
AG
quote:
I was a fish this past year, and two of my seniors had been transfers (came in first semester sophomore year). I never would have known they were transfers, they were clearly not outsiders among their buddy class, and one of them was even CO of RVs this past year. IMO, being a transfer won't hold you down if you don't let it.

Another option, for people who are on a 5 year degree plan (engineers, change of major, etc), they just join the Corps as fish during their academic sophomore year and that way still get the full 4 year experience.

Black belts can know about RVs now? That would have made for a rough afternoon back then.
Goodbull_19
AG
Damn. I'll smoke myself.
MoMo1324321
Did you actually smoke yourself? RV class of 98 here. Pretty sure it's not a blackbelt privilege knowing about that stuff still. No disrespect or anything, but you should check your privilege.
ABattJudd
AG
FightinGator19 said:

Winnebagoes. He was CO of the Winnebagoes.

"Well, if you can’t have a great season, at least ruin somebody else’s." - Olin Buchanan
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.