2016 Aggie Band travel question

23,492 Views | 123 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by ABATTBQ87
allMondjoy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Saw that Alabama was a "fly in" game for the Band. Arkansas at Jerry's World bus trip. Will there be any other bus trip road game for the band this year such as Miss St.?
Wildman15
AG
Depends on where the other games are located. We aren't cheap
Warrior 66
The Aggie Band is going to Arkansas and Alabama this year, and of course, will perform at every home game this year, for a total of 9 games. They will NOT go to Mississippi State this year.
monarch
S
Any plans to go to Los Angeles next year when we play UCLA?
monarch
S
Again...

Any plans to go to Los Angeles next year for UCLA?
aggiejim70
AG
By the word "again" do you mean you're reposting your question, or are you asking if the FTAB is going to UCLA again? I was in grade school then but the FTAB did go to UCLA the last time we played them out there. Great picture of the FTAB marching through Disneyland. As always, I'm open for correction if we have played UCLA at their place since then, but I don't think that's the case.
The person that is not willing to fight and die, if need be, for his country has no right to life.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
Warrior 66
WAY too early to be discussing what games the Aggie Band will travel to next year.

We usually determine which games the Band will travel to once we have the football schedule finalized, once we have gotten approvals from other schools ADs for the Band to travel and march at halftime, and once we've had the chance to sit down and discuss the best options and opportunities for the cadets in the Band. That decision is usually made late in the Spring semester, once we have all the information we need to make an informed decision.

UCLA will certainly be a game we will consider sending the Aggie Band to next year, but again, that decision won't be made for a while yet.
AFDave13
AG
Why don't y'all go to every SEC game even if you don't March.

There is almost noting more empty and embarrassing than being in another SEC stadium without any FTAB presence there. At least a senior/upperclassmen band is better than nobody going.
Wildman15
AG
That costs an insane amount of money for the band to travel and not perform a halftime show. Even if it's just a "pep band" it's not worth it. The band is famous for their halftime performances.
aggiejim70
AG
15.........I take it from your name you're a former member of the FTAB. Correct me if I'm wrong. I am as well. What you say about the cost is damn near gospel, but, TAMU is spending insane amounts of money on everything else concerning football. On top of that, I'm about half smart on this, doesn't the SEC have a rule about how many times a school's band can perform on the road?

This idea that if we can't all go and march, we're not going, needs to be reviewed at the highest levels. It's been around a long time. In the spring of '69 it was used to con the FTAB out of going to West Point. The money had been raised and caused a lot of hard feeling with the AFS. With so many "other bands" these days, what happens when one of them wants to represent A&M at a road game? Let that happen once, and the nose of the camel is in the tent. That could very well be the start of a not so long, but very slippery slope. Example, the change from my day to this at the basketball games.
The person that is not willing to fight and die, if need be, for his country has no right to life.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
Wildman15
AG
As far as an SEC rule limiting on how many times a band an perform, I've never heard of that. As for why we won't send a pep band here are my thoughts (as well some thoughts expressed by leadership while I was in)
-Money. It takes at least 10 charter buses for the band to travel anywhere, and when you include hotel rooms, that cost skyrockets.
-time. Traveling to games takes its toll on you very fast, especially during midterms or finals. My fish year was our last year in the Big 12, and I remember loading on the buses at 0200 Saturday to travel to OU and Tech. Even in the SEC I still remember multiple load times of 03 or 04 to get anywhere.
-Halftime. We are famous for our halftime drills. If we can't perform a halftime drill, it is not viewed as a good use of money to send students to these games and not get to perform.
-Logistics. I still don't know how Mrs. Stanley handled all of our travel arrangements, short of her performing miracles. Scheduling buses, planes, hotel rooms, meals, spending money if catering was not available, the list goes on.

I hope some of this helps and also gives people who weren't in the band a glimpse of some of the behind the scenes action that goes on in preparation for the Band to travel.
TejasAg
AG
Sounds like we might need a smaller second band to travel to games the FTAB doesn't. Next year we play ucla in the Rose Bowl and Florida in Gainesville, would be nice to see the band at both of those.
aggiejim70
AG
15, and I apologize for the 12 typo ........Excellent recap of the logistics involved in FTAB travel. Light years from the day trips to Rice or TCU in my time in the FTAB. In no way am I questioning your pride in and love for the FTAB, but, submitted for your approval, the reason for sending the Band to a road game is not to knock 'em dead at half time, it is to support the football team.

I call your attention to Tejas' post. That idea is gaining a lot of traction among the Former Students as we adjust to the realities of the SEC. As a Texas Aggie, the idea that we do it the way do because we always have, is something I understand. As I stated earlier, this needs to be addressed at the highest levels, not in a bull session with your classmates.

The day IS going to come when a smaller band will be sent to road games. The various Reveilles are not going to roll over in their graves, Sully is not going to face palm himself. The question is do you want it to be a contingent of the FTAB or members of some other band from TAMU. If the later happens, it's only a matter of time 'till they want to have a presence at Kyle Field and next comes a half time performance.

For the sake of argument, let's say we send a 100 piece band to the various road games, at which the FTAB does not perform. I can damn near guarantee you'll have no problem getting volunteers from the FTAB.

One other thing I see as a hard truth........So goes the FTAB, so goes the Corps of Cadets.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
Warrior 66
This is an old discussion - one I have responded to before.

First, Wildman 15 did a great job of laying out the many reasons why Aggie Band travel is not necessarily an easy thing to do any more. We aren't in the SWC any more, where virtually every team except Arkansas was in Texas, and travel was relatively easy, albeit long at times (I have made those trips to Lubbock and Fayetteville myself, and remember just how long they were!). Being in the SEC means trips are longer, more expensive, and yes, do have an impact on our cadets and their academics.

In addition, many SEC schools are adopting a policy of not allowing visiting bands to march at halftime, opting instead to do something else for entertainment after their own band marches. Its not across the board just yet, but each year we are being told by more schools that they will not allow our band to march if they attend. Its disappointing to say the least, as The Fightin' Texas Aggie Band is first and foremost the nation's largest military marching band. It is NOT a "pep band," and never will be.

On top of that, not every home stadium guarantees 100 or more tickets for a "pep band" to come and play. In some cases its as few as 40 tickets for a visiting pep band and no more.

This combination of factors has caused us to take a hard look at what games the Band will travel to and which ones they will not travel to. I know there are some who have commented that a "pep band" is critical and necessary at away games, and that if the Aggie Band doesn't go, some other "pep band" will.

First, as a former member of the Aggie Band, I disagree with the notion that the Aggie Band should spend the time and money to send a small number of cadets to play in the stands as a "pep band." NOT what the Aggie Band is about, and NOT what we ask cadets to join the Band to do. The Aggie Band is a military MARCHING Band, and if they can't march, then I do not believe its worth the money or time to send cadets to just sit in the stands and play. I know there are those who disagree, and I completely understand. But the Aggie Band is NOT a "pep band" and never will be. For now, if the band can't march at halftime of an away game, it will not go.

I can also assure you that NO ONE at Texas A&M has ever mentioned sending "another pep band" to play at away games. Not even a thought here. The Aggie Band does football, and the Hullaballoo Band does basketball. Period. Its been that way for years and there is no intent to change. There is NO intent to send another type of "pep band" to play at away games in which the Band doesn't attend. There are many who are concerned that that will happen, but it has never even been mentioned here at A&M.

Despite all of this discussion, the Aggie Band will still be at 9 of the 12 games the team will play in this year. In previous years we have been to 10 of 12. The Aggie Band is still a very visible part of Texas A&M football, and will continue to be, despite the fact that they don't go to all games.

I hope this clears things up. I know there are those who disagree, and I understand why. But there are also many who understand exactly why this decision has been made, and the validity behind that decision.

I am excited for this football season, and to seeing the Band perform at 9 of 12 games this season. BTHO UCLA!
aggiejim70
AG

General, count me among the many that are concerned this will happen. Just expressing that concern as a former student and former member of the FTAB. I am glad to see your concern as well. I don't think we even have to agree to disagree. Speaking only for myself, if or when a decision is made to send a smaller band to away games, I would rather see 30 or 40 uniformed volunteer members of the FTAB than have TAMU represented by some other band.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
Warrior 66
Thanks AggieJim. Always glad to hear from other former BQs. I understand your concerns and will do my best to ensure we address them appropriately if/when that time ever comes.

Thanks for your love and support of our Corps and our Band. Gig 'em!
ABATTBQ87
AG

quote:
First, as a former member of the Aggie Band, I disagree with the notion that the Aggie Band should spend the time and money to send a small number of cadets to play in the stands as a "pep band." NOT what the Aggie Band is about, and NOT what we ask cadets to join the Band to do. The Aggie Band is a military MARCHING Band, and if they can't march, then I do not believe its worth the money or time to send cadets to just sit in the stands and play. I know there are those who disagree, and I completely understand. But the Aggie Band is NOT a "pep band" and never will be. For now, if the band can't march at halftime of an away game, it will not go.

That is not 100% factual; back before the Hullabaloo Band there was the Aggie Band, which was defined as the official band of Texas A&M, as well as the official band of the Corps of Cadets. I attended every football game but one in my years at A&M (@ Alabama 1985), but I also attended basketball home games and SWC basketball tournament games in Dallas with 53 others to make up a Basketball Band. We certainly didn't march at those sporting events.

quote:
I can also assure you that NO ONE at Texas A&M has ever mentioned sending "another pep band" to play at away games. Not even a thought here. The Aggie Band does football, and the Hullaballoo Band does basketball. Period. Its been that way for years and there is no intent to change. There is NO intent to send another type of "pep band" to play at away games in which the Band doesn't attend. There are many who are concerned that that will happen, but it has never even been mentioned here at A&M.

Again not 100% factual. The Hullabaloo is the official Pep Band of Texas A&M University. That verbiage tells me that if the athletic department deems it in the best interest of the program to have a band at a game, with confirmation that the Aggie Band WILL NOT travel, then they have the group and means to make that happen, without the permission of the Commandant's office or Director of the Aggie Band.

Dr Jedd Green '55 has a $3 Million planned gift that will fund Aggie Bandsmen travels (A&M Foundation SPIRIT magazine, pg 11), so the lack of funds is being addressed through gifts and donations. And speaking of donations how much money has been collected, and is currently available, since RC Slocum started raising funds for the Band?
Warrior 66
Once again, ABATTBQ, you speak with out any knowledge of what is actually happening here on campus.You make things up from afar, and try to push them off on this forum as your "first hand knowledge" - something that could not be further from the truth. You know my number and my e-mail (I know who you are, and why you consistently choose to try and dispute the FACTS that I post), and if you really want to debate these issues that you know nothing about, feel free to call me. You and I have discussed matters like this before, and every time you've been proven wrong. Feel free to call me and I'll be happy to do so again.

I was in the Aggie Band long before you, and yes, we attended both football AND basketball back then. It was a time drain on all of us, and many of us never really liked going and playing at basketball games. And we played at ALL home games back then. Having another band do basketball, while I'm sure was a BIG issue back when it first started, has proven to be a great idea, and has given the Aggie Band the time to focus on other things - like academics. If you want to talk history of the Aggie Band I'd be happy to do so, but I have neither the time nor the desire to do so with someone as misinformed as you. And by the way, I know of NO band anywhere that marches at halftime of a basketball game. Nice try, but a ridiculous comparison.

There is a current agreement between the Aggie Band and the Hullaballoo Band - both of whom fall directly under the Director of Bands, Dr Tim Rhea, that the Aggie Band does football, and the Hullaballoo Band does basketball. It has NOT been disputed, and there has never been any discussion by ANYONE - including the AD - of the Hullaballoo Band doing football since I've been here as Commandant. If you want to make up some "conspiracy theory" that there is gong to be a clandestine effort by the AD to commit the Hullaballoo Band to play at away football games, feel free to do so. There's NO truth to that whatsoever (again, I'm here 24/7 and happen to know just a little about what decisions made by the University affect the Corps and the Aggie Band), but feel free to believe what you want to believe.

I have NO idea where you got the impression that there is a "lack of funds," but I never said that was the case. Travel is expensive, but I never said travel was not doable due to "lack of funds." Once again, don't make this up as you go along. Try putting some facts in your posts if at all possible. Travel is expensive, but the Aggie Band has funds for travel, and we do our best to be good stewards of those funds and ensure that we are getting the "biggest bang for our buck" whenever we fund Aggie Band travel. For now, that includes being able to march at halftime of away games that we travel to.

And planned gifts mean nothing until they are executed - and that doesn't happen until the person leaving the planned gift dies. We have many planned gifts for the Corps and the Aggie Band, but are in no hurry to execute them. We like our former students, appreciate all that they do for our Corps, and are in no hurry for them to execute their planned gifts.

Once again, if you really want to discuss this matter - or any other matter as far as I'm concerned - feel free to contact me directly. You know my e-mail address and my phone number, and I am always ready to discuss and set you straight with facts - not rumor, second and third hand information, conjecture, or conspiracy theory.

I stand by last post to AggieJim - and every other post I've made on this thread. A valid concern, but one I will address personally if/when I ever have to do so.
ABATTBQ87
AG
quote:
Once again, ABATTBQ, you speak with out any knowledge of what is actually happening here on campus.You make things up from afar, and try to push them off on this forum as your "first hand knowledge" - something that could not be further from the truth. You know my number and my e-mail (I know who you are, and why you consistently choose to try and dispute the FACTS that I post), and if you really want to debate these issues that you know nothing about, feel free to call me. (FYI I have educational and practical experience in Forestry, soil science, turf management and watershed management, all topics that you confess you know nothing about, but that's another thread) You and I have discussed matters like this before, and every time you've been proven wrong. Feel free to call me and I'll be happy to do so again.

I was in the Aggie Band long before you, (1974-75 to 1978-79 , graduating a whole 4 years before I entered A&M) and yes, we attended both football AND basketball back then. It was a time drain on all of us, and many of us never really liked going and playing at basketball games. And we played at ALL home games back then. (So did every Aggie band in the past 50 years) Having another band do basketball, while I'm sure was a BIG issue back when it first started, has proven to be a great idea, and has given the Aggie Band the time to focus on other things - like academics. If you want to talk history of the Aggie Band I'd be happy to do so, but I have neither the time nor the desire to do so with someone as misinformed as you. (I've forgotten more about A&M history than you ever knew..have you found the Reveille Memorial yet?)

There is a current agreement between the Aggie Band and the Hullaballoo Band - both of whom fall directly under the Director of Bands, Dr Tim Rhea, that the Aggie Band does football, and the Hullaballoo Band does basketball. It has NOT been disputed, and there has never been any discussion by ANYONE - including the AD - of the Hullaballoo Band doing football since I've been here as Commandant. If you want to make up some "conspiracy theory" that there is gong to be a clandestine effort by the AD to commit the Hullaballoo Band to play at away football games, feel free to do so. There's NO truth to that whatsoever (again, I'm here 24/7 and happen to know just a little about what decisions affect the Corps and the Aggie Band), but feel free to believe what you want to believe.

I have NO idea where you got the impression that there is a "lack of funds," but I never said that was the case. Travel is expensive, but I never said it was not doable due to "lack of funds." Once again, don't make this up as you go along. Try putting some facts in your posts if at all possible. And planned gifts mean nothing until they are executed - and that doesn't happen until the person leaving the planned gift dies. We have many planned gifts for the Corps and the Aggie Band, but are in no hurry to execute them. We like our former students, appreciate all that they do for our Corps, and are in no hurry for them to execute their planned gifts.

Once again, if you really want to discuss this matter - or any other matter as far as I'm concerned - feel free to contact me directly. You know my e-mail address and my phone number, and I am always ready to set you straight with facts - not rumor, second and third hand information, conjecture, or conspiracy theory.

I stand by last post to AggieJim - and every other post I've made on this thread. A valid concern, but one I will address personally if/when I ever have to do so.
Mr. Chris Hollar
Director of Jazz and Athletic Pep Bands
Texas A&M University Reed Arena 326M/ P.O. Box 30017
College Station, Texas 77842-3017

Why isn't his office in the Adams Band Room if he reports to Rhea?

I enjoyed attending basketball games, and I'm surprised a guy with a PE degree didn't enjoy it as well. Of course it could be that you are vertically challenged.

I didn't say there was a lack of funds, I asked how much is available to take the band to games.

I did visit face to face with the A&M AD at an event and specifically brought up the Hullabaloo band traveling to away games when the Aggie Band doesn't attend. I told him I was in the band and I felt it was an injustice to those attending the game to not be able to sing the War Hymn and the spirit of Aggieland without the music of the band

I have more fun "discussing" topics with you online so that everyone can see how you respond, because my opinions are those of a former student; your comments are those of a $200K employee of A&M and are sometimes seen as condescending and angry, because you don't handle conflict well when presented facts or opinions that differ from yours.
Warrior 66
Ah, once again, we hear from the "source" himself! Your persistence is truly amazing, even if you know nothing about what you are posting.

Chris Hollar is in Reed because there is no room in the Adams Band Bldg. The Singing Cadets also fall under Tim Rhea, and David Kipp and his offices are in the MSC. There is NO room in Adams. However, the new Music Activities Center will alleviate that, and ALL of them will have offices there. And btw, most of my staff have offices in other buildings, simply because there is no room n the Trigon for all of them. Doesn't mean they don't report to me. But if you want to believe that Chris Hollar is in Reed secretly plotting with the AD to get the Hullaballoo Band to play for away football games, again, please feel free to do so.

Check your last post, you specifically said "so the lack of funds is being addressed through gifts and donations." Just responding to your inaccurate statement (again).

Personally, I find it appalling that a former member of the Aggie Band is actually commenting to the AD that the Hullaballoo Band should attend away football games. I'm sure the AD took your words and immediately went back to Reed Arena to collaborate with Chris Hollar to take the Hullaballoo Band to the next away game. You have that effect on people...

The only person I have even remotely gotten this direct with on social media is you. I admit, sometimes your ignorance does bring me down to your level. I should know better. And for the record, I have seen more "conflict" than you can ever imagine, and have handled it quite well. You have gotten put in your place on social media by both me and members of my staff, and I know you have hard feelings over it. Get over it - there are bigger issues in life to worry about. And I may be a vertically challenged former PE major and employee of A&M, but I am also a former student who is HERE 24/7 and who knows first hand what is happening - especially wrt the Corps and the Band - something you are NOT.

I've said it a million times - if you want to discuss this or any other issue with me - like men, try calling me or e-mailing me. You have pointed out the obvious already - there is NO point in arguing your ignorance on social media, and I won't bother any more.
ABATTBQ87
AG
quote:
Ah, once again, we hear from the "source" himself! Your persistence is truly amazing, even if you know nothing about what you are posting.

Chris Hollar is in Reed because there is no room in the Adams Band Bldg. The Singing Cadets also fall under Tim Rhea, and David Kipp and his offices are in the MSC. There is NO room in Adams. However, the new Music Activities Center will alleviate that, and ALL of them will have offices there. And btw, most of my staff have offices in other buildings, simply because there is no room n the Trigon for all of them. Doesn't mean they don't report to me. But if you want to believe that Chris Hollar is in Reed secretly plotting with the AD to get the Hullaballoo Band to play for away football games, again, please feel free to do so. (Never stated that, just the facts that the Hullabaloo is part of the athletic department, per their website)

Check your last post, you specifically said "so the lack of funds is being addressed through gifts and donations." Just responding to your inaccurate statement (again). (Correct, because an excuse to not travel is expenses, and that seems to be taken care of through donations and gifts)

Personally, I find it appalling that a former member of the Aggie Band is actually commenting to the AD that the Hullaballoo Band should attend away football games. I'm sure the AD took your words and immediately went back to Reed Arena to collaborate with Chris Hollar to take the Hullaballoo Band to the next away game. You have that effect on people... (I find it appalling that the Aggie Band is not at EVERY game representing A&M and supporting the team)

The only person I have even remotely gotten this direct with on social media is you. I admit, sometimes your ignorance does bring me down to your level. I should know better. And for the record, I have seen more "conflict" than you can ever imagine, and have handled it quite well. You have gotten put in your place on social media by both me and members of my staff, and I know you have hard feelings over it. Get over it - there are bigger issues in life to worry about. And I may be a vertically challenged former PE major and employee of A&M, but I am also a former student who is HERE 24/7 and who knows first hand what is happening - especially wrt the Corps and the Band - something you are NOT. (Thanks for confirming that you target me and my posts and you use direct negative comments directed specifically at me)

I've said it a million times - if you want to discuss this or any other issue with me - like men, try calling me or e-mailing me. You have pointed out the obvious already - there is NO point in arguing your ignorance on social media, and I won't bother any more.
Quad Dog
AG
I was in the FTAB when we made the transition from Basketball Band to Hullabaloo. We were all pretty happy to see it go. More and more teams were wanting us to play (Women's BBall and VBall), it was hard to get a big enough group out, it was a big hit to studies, and the FTAB style just didn't really fit into a Basket Ball game.

I do agree introducing a non-FTAB pep band into Football is a problem, the history of Virginia Tech's Highty-Tighties is a great example. But making up conspiracies about it isn't a helpful solution.

And Gen. Ramirez, I'm not trying to tell you your business, but don't feed the trolls.
74OA
AG
Don't feed the trolls, indeed.
Ark03
AG
quote:
I was in the FTAB when we made the transition from Basketball Band to Hullabaloo. We were all pretty happy to see it go. More and more teams were wanting us to play (Women's BBall and VBall), it was hard to get a big enough group out, it was a big hit to studies, and the FTAB style just didn't really fit into a Basket Ball game.

I do agree introducing a non-FTAB pep band into Football is a problem, the history of Virginia Tech's Highty-Tighties is a great example. But making up conspiracies about it isn't a helpful solution.

And Gen. Ramirez, I'm not trying to tell you your business, but don't feed the trolls.
^^ I came here to post something similar. When our ultimate goal as students was graduating, attrition rates due to grades was unacceptable, and we were asked to play at a couple dozen basketball games and a number of volleyball games a year, it was understandably time to make a change rather than send token representation from the FTAB that wouldn't look and sound good, and was probably made up of blackbelts who should be focusing on pulling up their grades that suffered during football season.

As well as I can remember, there was no outcry from cadets or FTAB members at the time, and if the previous generations ('87?) had something to say about it then it they weren't doing it on Facebook. We were happy to get back to acting like cadets every day rather than traipsing across campus for a basketball game several times a week.

Gen. Ramirez, thank you for keeping the lines of communication open on these issues. I would have given up long ago.
aggiejim70
AG
Gentlemen and/or ladies of course. We're having a discussion across a couple or three generations of members of the FTAB. Men and women of good will, working toward a common goal can disagree without being disagreeable. There is no necessity for personal attacks on another former Bandsman with a different point of view or input. Let's all relax, chill and take a pill.

Hell's bell's I was a fish in the FTAB 50 years ago this fall. The sergebutts were the last to wear AMC brass and rings. You could have got some pretty good odds at the time, that there wasn't going to be a FTAB 50 years later. The fact that there is, is due to the efforts of men and women like General Ramirez and people like him over the last half century.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
74OA
AG
"Nothing is impossible for those who don't have to do anything." It's easy to snipe from the sidelines when someone has no skin in the game. Balancing all the political, logistical, financial, academic and, particularly as regards to A&M, the tradition-bound factors affecting the Corps is a major juggling chore for any Commandant. So, I appreciate this one's willingness to come online and share his perspective with us. After all, he doesn't owe this blog one second of his time, so it is irritating when someone with an obvious personal axe to grind uses the Commandant's participation to deliberately push his buttons and provoke an overreaction for "fun". How about no more vendettas and a return to the civility that usually characterizes this forum even when we (frequently) disagree?
HollywoodBQ
AG
My fish Class was the last one to travel to every home and away game in Fall '88 under COL Haney and Jackie Sherrill. It used to bother me that the Aggie Band wasn't attending as many away games as I did because I thought it was a money issue that could be solved.

But, now that we're in the SEC, it's become a seating issue (like we saw with LSU last year) which we can't solve unless we want to move to some little conference where we play nobody schools in empty stadiums for 4-5 road games a year.

So, if we're going to be in the same conference with Alabama, Auburn, LSU, etc, this is how it's going to be. Otherwise we would have to join some conference out west where we could play schools like UNLV, Nevada, Utah, Boise State, etc.
BQ_90
AG
quote:
My fish Class was the last one to travel to every home and away game in Fall '88 under COL Haney and Jackie Sherrill. It used to bother me that the Aggie Band wasn't attending as many away games as I did because I thought it was a money issue that could be solved.

But, now that we're in the SEC, it's become a seating issue (like we saw with LSU last year) which we can't solve unless we want to move to some little conference where we play nobody schools in empty stadiums for 4-5 road games a year.

So, if we're going to be in the same conference with Alabama, Auburn, LSU, etc, this is how it's going to be. Otherwise we would have to join some conference out west where we could play schools like UNLV, Nevada, Utah, Boise State, etc.
I may be wrong, but I've never heard anything about it being a seat issue, it's if we can't march we don't go.
HollywoodBQ
AG
quote:
I may be wrong, but I've never heard anything about it being a seat issue, it's if we can't march we don't go.
Seating, Marching... whatever. The point is, that our ability to execute is out of our hands and we're at the mercy of other schools who can draw a large crowd from a rabid alumni base.

We never had any trouble when we were going to places like Rice, the Astrodome and BayLOL @ Floyd Casey Stadium.
BQ_90
AG
Well that's not the same. I've never heard we don't have enough seats in the stands, it's that we can't March we don't go. That's an important difference. The policy is we don't go if we don't perform on the field. For some that's the policy they would like changed.
HollywoodBQ
AG
I'm not going to Internet argue with a guy who dogged me and my buddies out during a Combined Band uniform inspection while he had a dollop of shaving cream behind his ear. fish aren't allowed to scope out upper-classmen and they certainly shouldn't try to correct them.

Seating was one of the various excuses over the years. Doesn't matter, if it's seating, marching, academics, I'm confident that Commandant79 and company will do their best and that's about all the time I have available to worry about it.
BQ_90
BQ_90
AG
well not sure what happened with that post so let me try again.

I think the problem on many of the boards is several different "reasons" have been floated around about travel. I think it's very important that the facts are laid out. I appreciate that the Commandant comes here to state the facts. The policy is if they don't march they don't go. Many disagree with that policy and I think it's fine to discuss that as long as we're all respectful. Sadly that's not the case on all the boards.

Not sure WTH the rest of your post is about

Quito
AG
I'll start these remarks with knowledge that I am former BQ '99. I was in the band both during the SWC and the transition to the Big 12. We went to every game except BYU (game @Provo the week before school started) and @ULALA (stadium was too small). That's right, we traveled to Colorado, Manhattan KS, Lawrence KS, Ames Iowa, NYC (Kickoff Classic against FSU), Norman OK, Stillwater OK, and obviously the Texas schools...even had multiple Thursday night games we traveled for.

I have recently attended South Carolina in '14 and Ole Miss in '15 and know first hand it's not the same without the band. While I'd LOVE to see the Aggie Band March, if given the choice I would LOVE to have a "Pep Band" made from White Belts to play in the stands, support the team, and bring a big part of "Aggieland" on the road...it's what makes College Football Great!

I agree with a lot of what the Commandant says and think we are in good hands. I disagree in that the band is here to support the football team first and foremost. How many folks would show up just to watch the band perform? College football is great because of the pageantry and tradition and we are robbing our own fans, team, and opposing fans of that experience.

Why not make it a white belt scholastic privilege to be in the White Belt Pep band for the venues where we aren't taking the whole band? Maybe any white belt over a 3.0, or any white belt on track to graduate in 4 years? Talk about a motivator to make good grades!

Most other teams that come into Kyle Field bring some sort of Pep Band...most of the time the television crews have a microphone nearby so that the folks at home hear it as well.

I sincerely think it's time that we consider a white belt Aggie Band "Pep Band" to attend these games. There will be no shortage of White Belts stepping up to volunteer and it will make us old Ags who spend big bucks to travel and support the team very proud. It's just not the same without the Aggie War Hymn, the Spirit, and Noble Men of Kyle playing at a game.
Warrior 66
Thanks Quito, for your very professional and respectful post. Greatly appreciate your comment and the mature manner in which you presented your disagreement.

There are several factors that go into deciding what games the Aggie Band goes to and what games they don't go to. When I became Commandant, the Aggie Band was marching at 10 of the 12 games the team played each year. We have pretty much maintained that same record in the almost 6 years that I have been here.

As I have already stated, a new factor that has arisen since we joined the SEC was that many SEC schools now do NOT allow visiting bands to march at halftime. Given who the Aggie Band is, and what they are known for at halftime, we have basically said that if we can't march at halftime, then we won't waste the cadets' time by making them travel to an away game only to sit in the stands without the opportunity to march at halftime.

In addition, we also have to keep in mind that our cadets in the Aggie Band need the opportunity to have some time off for academics, just like the other cadets in the Corps. I'm not saying that away games are the only opportunity, but it does provide some time for the Band cadets to take some time off, just like the other cadets do.

I know there are those that disagree with this policy, and want the Aggie Band to travel to every away game, even if they can't march at halftime. I respect the fact that they don't agree, and fully understand why they want the Band at every game. As a former BQ, I completely understand, believe me!

While I won't promise anything for next season, I WILL say that I really like your idea, and will discuss it with the leadership of the Aggie Band at the end of this season. We will look at all options for the Aggie Band next year, including maintaining the current policy, but I must admit, I do like your idea and appreciate you sharing it with me. I can promise you that we WILL look hard at what you recommended in your post for next season. I will let you know what we decide for next season once we have had the chance to sit down and discuss at the end of this season.

Thanks again for your post, Quito. I appreciate your candor, your professionalism, and your willingness to discuss with me. I can assure you that I will look at what you presented for the Aggie Band next season.

Thanks for your support of our Corps! Gig 'em! And Beat the Hell Outta Arkansas!

Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.