Would something like this interest you?

2,485 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by BleacherRat
Demosthenes81
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I am considering supplementing my income by restarting my painted stained glass hobby from years ago. One of the niches I am exploring is something along the lines of military unit insignias with personal ribbons and rank insignia in the border. These could be used as retirement gifts, promotion gifts, etc. Size would be variable but in general I have done similar things in the 16"x24" range. Other areas I have done include zodiac symbols, Tarot cards, and coats of arms.

Since the military naturally has multiple forms I would need to fill out for the licensing I would like to get a feel if such things have a market or worse, some Chinese company is already doing it for $15.99 *frown*

Tango Mike
Those would make very nice going away gifts, I would think. If you could market it somehow near a military base, you could definitely sell some. People are always looking to give going away gifts that are not the same as everyone else's.
sek92
AG
We are stationed at ft bragg and there is a place on post that sells stuff like that from signs to cups etc. I would also look into craft shows around military towns to get your name out there. Military people eat that stuff up!
CGSC Lobotomy
quote:
We are stationed at ft bragg

Y'all don't live in Normandy Village by chance? We're in lower Normandy.
Demosthenes81
AG
Thanks for the feedback. I actually live about 45 minutes from Fort Hood so that will be my initial market, along with web presence.
Fly Army 97
I'll be one of your first buyers then...I'm 'at Hood' sort of now. I like that stuff. Great gifts.

I'll even give you my unit patch if you can give me a quote.
Tango Mike
I would stay away from ribbon racks and stuff like that. I would keep it simpler, like with unit patches or unit crests, and possibly some company guidons marketed towards platoon sergeants, etc.

I don't think there would be any licensing fees to pay, as nobody owns any of that stuff. I'm at Hood, and to the best of my knowledge there is nothing like that in this area.

Just a suggestion, if you're looking for a start-up, getting a kiosk in the foyer of the post exchange (Wal-Mart-type store on post) might be a good place to get some visual.
Postal
AG
post some pics of your work
Eliminatus
AG
Second the pics of work!

I myself would be interested in my old unit patch.
sek92
AG
CGSC no we lived in hammond hills last time we were here but live off post now and my high schoolers are not going to EE Smith HS ( i know it changed again but when we moved back that was the only choice)
Demosthenes81
AG
I am still several weeks out from start up. I need to buy new paints, glass, etc. Here is the lone piece I still have, a Capricorn zodiac piece. It is 18"w by 24"l

Thanks for the info 1stRanger. The kiosk sounds promising. And yes, there are licensing forms to fill out unless you want to run the risk of having your stuff confiscated. The Air Force is the most restrictive, the Marines the most accommodating. The Army is in between. I may even look into getting a hobbyist license for TAMU designs, I don't think they charge to much for handcrafted stuff as long as you don't sell over a certain amount.

[This message has been edited by jxs40 (edited 3/3/2012 4:29p).]
CGSC Lobotomy
sek, are y'all going to the Raleigh Muster or are we doing something at the Ft. Bragg Club? (I know there's more ags than just you, me, one other from 18th, and one from 50th)
sek92
AG
when we were stationed here last time we did ft bragg one and not many showed up, but i have been deployed every april since we have been back, if i were home, i would do the raleigh one; (side note, i know of four aggies here and they are all deployed)
CGSC Lobotomy
I and three others (that I know of) just returned from Iraq with XVIII. There's another in 50th Signal who just returned as well.
2ndBN AnimalHouse08
I'm also at Bragg. This would be an excellent time to stop lurking and ask about the area Muster(s).

Eliminatus
AG
OP, didja ever get this up and running?
BleacherRat
Gig 'em!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.