Question about Disabled Veteran License Plates

18,753 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 12 yr ago by Lee72
Hincemm
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So, if you have a disabled veteran's license plate, is that synonymous with a handicapped plate/permit?

I think I know the answer, but want to be sure before I rant.
CT'97
AG
No it's not, in Texas I believe DV plates require a 50% disability from the VA. Handicapped plates require a prescription from a doctor. You can get Handicapped added to your DV plates if it's a permanent prescription.
CanyonAg77
AG
EDITED BELOW
quote:
An individual with Disabled Veteran License Plates may apply for parking placards without being required to submit an additional Application for Persons with Disabilities Parking Placard and/or License Plate (Form VTR-214) signed and notarized.

So a DV plate does not necessarily = handicapped plate, but if you have a DV plate, you don't have to have a doctor's note, by my reading. And looking at the requirements for DV
quote:
have a service-connected disability of at least 50 percent or at least 40 percent due to the amputation of a lower extremity;

I'm going to guess that if you have a DV plate, you're probably well "qualified" to have a handicapped plate.

EDIT: The above info was from a .pdf file that showed up in a Google search but was impossible to link due to a funky address. But looking at a DOT page, it appears that TXDOT says if you have a DV plate, you can park in a handicapped space, no problem.

http://www.txdmv.gov/vehicles/drivers/disabled.htm
quote:
Can I Park Anywhere Using my Placard?

Vehicles displaying disabled plates or placards are the only vehicles allowed to park in spaces clearly marked for the disabled. These vehicles may park in any space clearly marked for the disabled unless the space is marked “BLUE PLACARD PARKING ONLY” in which case a blue placard must be displayed for parking.

Blue placards designate a permanent disability.
Red placards designate a temporary disability.

Vehicles displaying Disabled Veteran license plates are not subject to the above restriction and may park in any disabled parking space.

[This message has been edited by CanyonAg77 (edited 8/1/2011 8:46a).]
Hincemm
AG
ironically, your link didn't work.

just pissed off that i've seen multiple "DVs" parked in handicapped spaces.

it epitomizes laziness and taking advantage of the system in my opinion.
Hincemm
AG
quote:
I'm going to guess that if you have a DV plate, you're probably well "qualified" to have a handicapped plate.

speaking from my experience only, i do not find this to be the case at all.

the two recent cases i've seen is one guy in a tricked out cadillac in front of a gym, and the other is someone who needed a close spot in front on a gas station.

again, this is just my perspective, but i've been wrong before...once.
CanyonAg77
AG
Try this link for the original pamphlet I was trying to link.

Google is NOT my friend
Hincemm
AG
thanks for the info...
CanyonAg77
AG
Sounds like the DV plates are your pet peeve like "Farm Truck" tags are my pet peeve.
Hincemm
AG
they are indeed.

kinda sad, too, because my wife's grandfather was a purple heart recip who lost his eye in normandy, and he has dv plates with a handicapped emblem, so i wrongly assumed that they were mutually exclusive.
Aggie 509th
AG
quote:
"Farm Truck" tags are my pet peeve

How come?
CanyonAg77
AG
Farm Truck tags are a special break given to farmers. It allows them to save about 90% on the cost of yearly registration of a pickup or large truck.

They are given with the understanding that Farm Trucks generally are not used on highways as often as commercial trucks. In the case of grain trucks or other harvest equipment, they may only be on the road one month out of the year.

Because of that, Farm Truck tags cannot be used on pleasure or commercial vehicles. If you have a pickup with FT tags, you agree that it will only be used for personal farm business. The only allowed exceptions are school, church, doctor or grocery store.

I tag my pickup commercial. Thus I am legal when I pull a boat, take the kids to soccer practice, go out to eat, etc. etc. I'm legal if I use it custom farming or other business.

My grain trucks that I only use for my own grain, I tag FT.

I really despise jerks that buy $50,000 Lincoln Navigator pickups, Suburbans, etc. that never see a dirt road, and stick FT tags on them to save $50 a year.

Bottom line, it's a perk that farmers have gotten. Jerks that abuse the tag steal money from taxpayers, and may lead to the FT tag exemption being withdrawn, hurting me personally.
Aggie 509th
AG
Canyon...very well said. I too have noticed plenty of FT tagged vehicles that never see dirt. Had never thought too much about it before. I will look at them in a different light from now on. Thanks.
CoastGuardAg00
^
you need to complain to the state about that! I know jerks that tag their vehicles and trailers FT and throw a small bale of hay on there and a Trooper or cop can't do a damn thing about it.
CanyonAg77
AG
As a side note, apparently there is an Urban Legend out there that claims that if you put FT tags on a vehicle, you can deduct it from your income tax.

Not true.

I deduct my pickup with commercial tags. Putting FT tags on a pickup when you don't have a farm business does not make them magically tax deductible.

The Federal IRS does not compare notes with Texas DOT, and they never ask on a tax return what kind of license plates you have.
Hincemm
AG
stop hijacking my thread!

take it to the farm truck board!

CanyonAg77
AG
Sorry!
CT'97
AG
The DV plates could have a handicapped placard hanging or resting in the front window, just playing devils advocate.
Hincemm
AG
i looked...
Lee72
AG
When I went in to renew my wife's disabled plaquard, I figured I'd get hard plates instead. The lady at the tax office told me to save my money as there was a recent change which made the plates insufficient for parking privileges... you would still have to display a plaquard. She showed me in writing...hmmmm, I wonder bow many police know that...I sure didn't.
Lee72
AG
I'm with CanyonAg about farm plate abuse...just saw one on the Eastex Freeway during rush hour and it had advertisement on back window for car repair... got to work and did a little research...the owner has some land but owns an Exxon station with car relate facilities. Looked more like he was going to work, not one of the approvex activities...reported him to DPS and DMV.
CanyonAg77
AG
Lee, that's weird on the handicapped plates. My mom just registered a car in May of this year...and got handicapped plates.
Lee72
AG
I thought it was too...I'm a poleece and no one ever told us about that.

One of my pet peeves is people driving around with those blue/red placards hanging from the mirror. It says in big letters, do not drive with this in place. That's why I was gonna get plates instead of the placard; I tend to forget to put it up on the mirror from time to time.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.