New Baseball Stadium

5,214 Views | 30 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Redstone
not hedge
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://sanantonioreport.org/new-san-antonio-missions-baseball-ownership-stadium/?amp

Would definitely go to games if they put it downtown
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
Absolutely. And critical if we're ever going to get an MLB team.
bam02
AG
El Hombre Mas Guapo
AG
$240 Worth of Pudding said:

Absolutely. And critical if we're ever going to get an MLB team.

Lol we're about to lose the Spurs
not hedge
Says who?
Burdizzo
AG
not hedge said:

Says who?

Bad attendance

Can't get a sponsor for the stadium

No investment in the franchise.

They are ripe for a change in ownership
not hedge
People in general aren't going out to luxury events (recession/inflation), AT&T just renewed its naming rights, spurs are building a 500 million facility at la cantera. Michael Dell and other investors have put significant money up for ownership. They aren't moving to Austin or Vegas. If anything spurs are extending their grasp ok central and south Texas/ Mexico
MookieBlaylock
AG
Spurs are tanking and Pops bs did not sit well with season ticket holders
If they get the French kid the franchise is saved

MLB is a dying sport and a waste of money

Boban
MookieBlaylock said:

Spurs are tanking and Pops bs did not sit well with season ticket holders YOU

Give me a break. Pop is allowed to have an opinion just as you are, but to think the culture war youre still fighting has anything to do with declining season ticket sales than the lack of talent on the roster, you are misguided. I'm sure you're probably supporting Elon's free-speech crusade on twitter but admonishing a man who fought for our country for having an (in my opinion, wrong) opinion is childish.

You could have just said the second sentence and been true, but have to continue with feeling aggrieved at every little thing.
Boban
Burdizzo said:

not hedge said:

Says who?

Bad attendance

Can't get a sponsor for the stadium

No investment in the franchise.

They are ripe for a change in ownership
Yeah attendance is rough. I've got season tickets, can really just stroll in 5 minutes before the game bc the parking lot is empty. You're correct, there's no corporate investment besides H-E-B. They sponsored 3 of the in arena timeout giveaways during 1 game.

I'd imagine once the Suns sell for $4B+ the Holts will run for the exits. The only thing that will bring in new investment is lucking into the French kid. I'm imaging thats why they asked AT&T to re-up for a year, because if they can get him, the International eyeballs will draw more businesses their way.
not hedge
Austin money is coming over
Martin Cash
AG
Cuppa said:

MookieBlaylock said:

Give me a break. Pop is allowed to have an opinion just as you are, but to think the culture war youre still fighting has anything to do with declining season ticket sales than the lack of talent on the roster, you are misguided. I'm sure you're probably supporting Elon's free-speech crusade on twitter but admonishing a man who fought for our country for having an (in my opinion, wrong) opinion is childish.

You could have just said the second sentence and been true, but have to continue with feeling aggrieved at every little thing.
Really? He played basketball for the Air Force.
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left. Ecclesiastes 10:2
gwellis
AG
Cuppa said:

MookieBlaylock said:

Pops BS ran me off and pretty much everyone else I know. SO you can keep your head in the sand or not?
Gil '91
bam02
AG
Ditto
HowdyTexasAggies
AG
Pop 100% pissed off season ticket holders as well as corporate sponsors. That's a fact. I know for a fact one big company told the spurs/Pop to knock off bashing the US etc and subsequently pulled money.
not hedge
Who was it ?
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
It's incredible to me that people actually think that Pop's unhinged rants DIDN'T have a negative effect on the fan base.

He's a loon and I won't spend another dime on that organization until he's gone.
Hence my excitement about baseball.
Let the Spurs go to Austin.
not hedge
How would them going to austin make things better. I will always support the spurs, pops rants I just simply don't care.
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
not hedge said:

How would them going to austin make things better. I will always support the spurs, pops rants I just simply don't care.

My comment about them going to a Austin was to indicate my GAF and had nothing to do with "making things better"..
not hedge
K
HowdyTexasAggies
AG
Valero
AG
I WON'T STAND FOR THIS POP SLANDER!
jgh85Ag
AG
210 said:

I WON'T STAND FOR THIS POP SLANDER!

Now you sound like Greg Abbott.
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
We had a 10 game pack for business development activities that we didn't renew due to pricing and his stupid comments. Drop in the bucket to the spurs, but know several other people that dropped their season tickets for a variety of reasons and a lot of them mentioned him directly.

Guess Nelson wants a new legacy before he kicks the bucket?

Person Not Capable of Pregnancy
AG
Bruce Hill has personally told me that Pop has cost the Spurs millions in sponsorships and ticket sales due to his antics, and that was 4 or 5 years ago, no telling how much worse it is since then.

Also, the team sucks. The money will start flowing again if they get good again.
TXAggie4Christ
AG
I'm just a commoner but got tired of Pops interview attitude initially then went on the political campaign.
Haven't watched or attended a Spurs game since 2010. Love the free time!
ReelAg6
The Spurs haven't been above .600 in 6 years. Of coarse attendance and sponsorship has plummeted. I wonder if it is a Major League situation. Tank the team and find a way to move them to Austin. AT&T is terribly located. They should have built it on the Northside and moved the rodeo as well.
not hedge
If they build a new stadium it will be in new Braunfels or cibilo
Sher Thing
AG
The Spurs aren't moving to Austin. Makes zero sense. Vegas would even be more likely but that's not happening either. Smart move would be to put NFL, MLB, and the Spurs somewhere around NB/San Marcos but unfortunately that won't happen either.
rwtxag83
AG
Cuppa said:

MookieBlaylock said:

If you think declining support has nothing to do with Pop, you are highly mistaken. Every business person I know shared the opinion that his outspoken opinions are ridiculous. Multiple examples on this thread alone. Pop has a right to any opinion he wants. I carried a rifle to defend that right. Having an opinion is one thing; expressing it openly and repeatedly when you are in such a high profile position is a fool's errand and the Spurs have paid a price for it. Personally, I won't buy tickets anymore. I don't even watch their games on TV. I'm not alone.

Fought for our country? He played basketball for a touring armed forces basketball team. Sure, he served honorably, but let's not mischaracterize the nature of how he served.
Greater love hath no man than this....
Redstone
AG
The franchise is now a legacy one, a solid tier below Knicks and Lakers and Celtics but also not moveable.

This is not the Pelicans, in a football crazed area with very minimal corporate support (and even there, the Pelicans are staying)

If Holt sells, there will be a requirement to stay, possibly forced by the league.

Attendance matters in that it looks bad on tv, but anyone who thinks there is a money problem should pay attention to this, though still somewhat opaque:

-upcoming rights fees
- collective bargaining revenue sharing

There's good reason why, on occasion, owners cry poverty and no one believes them
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.