2020 Vote City Propositions

2,291 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Tony Franklins Other Shoe
GCRanger
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
What is the boards opinion on the different propositions on the ballot. We are newly back to SA and not familiar with all the back story of these props.

My initial reaction is to vote no for anything the expands government control, or increases tax and/or spending.

My limited understanding of them:
Prop A - Pre-K 4 - won't somebody think of the children
Prop B - Diverting tax from aquifer and creeks to jobless
Advanced Transport Prop A - Diverting the diverted tax from prop B to Via starting in 2025
datwin9
AG
I am voting no on all three;

Prop A - bloated budget and duplication of services in the public school system

Prop B - the aquifer and trail system are a priority to me

Prop C - same as "B"
tx1c
AG
It looks like you understand them pretty well. Prop A is/was one of Castro's pet projects.
Let's hope the general population has a clue.

I'm opposed them as well.
Halconblack
AG
Some further due diligence is needed here.

Proposition A is an existing program and tax plan extension. The vote is whether or not to extend. I am for this program because early education shows strong correlations with improved health and welfare. In short, early government child care enables low income families to better escape poverty and government subsistence. I am for this.

Proposition B. I am on the fence for this one. I have a lack of faith in Governments being able to effectively interact and re-engage the post education population for new training. I am also skeptical of governments effectively selecting the correct training programs. I will most likely pass on this proposition.

Proposition C. I believe that one of the key tenets of government is to provide infrastructure. Transportation is a large portion of infrastructure. I have lived in large cities with effective public transport. While it is a dream for San Antonio to ever compete with Cities like New York, or even DC, I do believe that providing affordable transportation to the center is important for growth. I am for this. Especially since the City council has approved funding for the Aquifer and Wolff isn't going to let anything get off track with the Greenways.
v/r
MookieBlaylock
AG
Pre K pays 60k a year to help kids color

Load of cronie crap
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
MookieBlaylock said:

Load of cronie crap
I made sacrifices to make sure my pre-K kids were taken care of. I don't think that is asking too much and the govt can't do anything effectively or efficiently so I'll vote to end yet another give away program.
jgh85Ag
AG
Tony Franklins Other Shoe said:

MookieBlaylock said:

Load of cronie crap
I made sacrifices to make sure my pre-K kids were taken care of. I don't think that is asking too much and the govt can't do anything effectively or efficiently so I'll vote to end yet another give away program.

I am deeply hurt by that sentiment.
p_bubel
I'm voting no on all three because I'm pissed off they stripped funding for the trail way system for this nonsense rather than trying to get a new tax passed based on the merits of the new programs.

And now they're "worried" about how to fund the completion of the trails.

Which specific clown thought this was a good idea?
caddy
I will be voting NO for all three proposals as well.

mccjames
AG
I have done business with VIA for over 30 years and they do not run a very efficient business, the amount of waste, bureaucratic bloat, union ineptitude and crappy bus service is mind blowing. They only know how to do one thing very well and that is spend more than they take.
Easy come, Easy go
Burdizzo
AG
p_bubel said:

I'm voting no on all three because I'm pissed off they stripped funding for the trail way system for this nonsense rather than trying to get a new tax passed based on the merits of the new programs.

And now they're "worried" about how to fund the completion of the trails.

Which specific clown thought this was a good idea?

Probably Ron Nirenberg.

Even without his bad ideas, he is a horrible politician because he doesn't know how to build support for anything before he asks people to vote on it.
mccjames
AG
I just checked from my house to my office by different means

Car = 15 mins
Bike = 45 mins
Bus = 67 mins
Walk = 120 mins

I live downtown and work on WW White Rd.

Easy come, Easy go
valtosca
AG
The linear parks are very popular and at risk of being botched by not continuing the funding via the sales tax.
SW AG80
AG
I don't trust the City of San Antonio to do anything right, much less efficiently.
GCRanger
AG
Thanks y'all. Was going to vote Friday but lines were still long. Will try this coming week. No, on all three.
The Lurker
AG
I see so many empty VIA buses. I imagine for the few people who do ride them it still takes a long time to get to their destination along the route and they still have to walk to get to their work, house, grocery store from the bus stop.

Now that the technology exists, I'm curious what it would look like if VIA sold all assets and shifted budget to pay for ride sharing for low income population. It would be much more efficient and would be much more convenient for the user. Probably better for the environment also.

That would require the government to give up power and create a better experience for the consumer so probably means it would never happen.
MookieBlaylock
AG
mccjames said:

I just checked from my house to my office by different means

Car = 15 mins
Bike = 45 mins
Bus = 67 mins
Walk = 120 mins

I live downtown and work on WW White Rd.

Clearly not the demographic VIA wants to service

They want you to park at their new facility in stone oak and ride a bus downtown
alamogeorge
AG
If you live on the north side, your vote doesn't count. It has always been that way.
"You may all go to hell, and I will go to Aggieland!" -Davy Crockett
alamogeorge
AG
GCRanger said:

Thanks y'all. Was going to vote Friday but lines were still long. Will try this coming week. No, on all three.

Vote No on the rest of the ballot too.
"You may all go to hell, and I will go to Aggieland!" -Davy Crockett
The Lurker
AG
The Lurker said:

I see so many empty VIA buses. I imagine for the few people who do ride them it still takes a long time to get to their destination along the route and they still have to walk to get to their work, house, grocery store from the bus stop.

Now that the technology exists, I'm curious what it would look like if VIA sold all assets and shifted budget to pay for ride sharing for low income population. It would be much more efficient and would be much more convenient for the user. Probably better for the environment also.

That would require the government to give up power and create a better experience for the consumer so probably means it would never happen.
VIA operating budget for 2021 is $247.5 million!!!
jgh85Ag
AG
The Lurker said:

The Lurker said:

VIA operating budget for 2021 is $247.5 million!!!

What is sad is their operating revenues are less than 10% of their budget. Rider revenues are $20 million per year.

If SAWS and CPS had similar operating revenues, your water/electric bill would be $15/$25 per month.
Hendrix
AG
I voted no on all.
MookieBlaylock
AG
So VIA loses 220 million per year on purpose

Would be cheaper to buy every rider a 2k car and be done with it forever
Halconblack
AG
When parking goes to $20 a day downtown versus a $4 Bus ride you might change your mind. But, if everyone works remote it won't matter anyway. Everyone has this big stigma on buses and it is irrational. From a government stand point it is by far the most economic and flexible public transit option.
v/r
The Lurker
AG
Wasn't even close. Every proposition passed with 64-73% voting for.
GCRanger
AG
Ugh.
AggieRob93
AG
Voted no on all three as well, but like said a few posts above, north side votes don't count.
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
Sad, but typical.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.