San Antonio bars to watch games

3,258 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by phatbc
GuitarAg08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Howdy,

My wife and I just moved to San Antonio from Houston and are currently living in a tiny 1br apartment until we can move into our new home.

I was hoping to get some recommendations on good places to watch college football tomorrow. A place that plays the sound would be preferred, but I'll be happy with anything that has decent tv's/screens to get me out of this tiny apartment at this point!

We are about a mile from the pearl brewery if that helps. We also have a 1 year old lab with us that we would like to bring, but it doesn't seem like there are too many dog friendly places from what we have found.

Thanks in advance!
Sports-Ag
AG
Welcome to San Antonio.

Try the friendly spot. It's in Southtown (just south of downtown). They have a projector outside and TVs inside. A nice patio spot that is dog friendly. Check the website below and search their social media. Go ahead and call to see if they will be showing the game.

https://thefriendlyspot.com/

GuitarAg08
AG
Thanks!!!
Sports-Ag
AG
It's a nice area and good environment if you haven't been to the Southtown area.

I have a few friends that live near the Pearl at the apartments around there and not many sports bars with many TVs. Your best bet if you're looking to get a drink around your area with a dog are the outdoor patio bars. Try these:

Elsewhere Garden bar, Social Spot, and Burleson Yard Beer Garden.

I'm not sure what's the capacity these bars can hold for people to enter but the outdoor patios have a higher chance of letting people in. Try the bars I listed and get a feel for them.

Oh how could I forget. There's also Tycoon Flats in you're area. I think it's still own by an Aggie. They had a Heisman watch party back in 2012 when Johnny won. They have an indoor and outdoor patio area.

BTHO Vandy
O'Doyle Rules
AG
Sports-Ag said:

Welcome to San Antonio.

Try the friendly spot. It's in Southtown (just south of downtown). They have a projector outside and TVs inside. A nice patio spot that is dog friendly. Check the website below and search their social media. Go ahead and call to see if they will be showing the game.

https://thefriendlyspot.com/

If you want slow service and the ability to sit in the sun, then go there. Night games would be better yes.
Sports-Ag
AG
Agree about night games. Luckily, it hasn't been too hot lately but that will always change. I don't think I have gotten food there, usually just drinks.
LCE
AG
with a dog? Not sure.

Freetail Brewing on 1604 would probably allow dogs and would have the game and great pizza. 15
Minutes

Cotulla - Ag
AG
Welcome to SA!

I live on Broadway down from the pearl, so I usually hit up Broadway 5050 or The Winchester for games, sometimes the Roo Pub but thats north and past 1604. Winchester is also good for soccer fyi. However I don't recall those being dog friendly.

Dog friendly nearby:
Burleson yard is a outdoor patio favorite of mine, better for nfl because they'll have audio for that, college is hit and miss. Food truck too.

The Cove is a cool family outdoor patio place. All beers on tap are Texas beers if i recall right. Kitchen, good food.

Tycoon flats is another neat place on the strip. Kitchen too.

Pigen is another patio place, but I haven't been there in over a year and don't recall if they have TVs.

You could go further out to the UTSA, The Block was a cool outdoor patio place too. That was a food truck spot.

SA A&M club used have watch parties at little Woodrows
OilFieldIRI
S
Elsewhere bar is nice but has long lines for food and drinks since there is not a wait staff. Plus, they only have 1 tv to watch games on...
They have also been cited twice for Covid-19 violations.
GuitarAg08
AG
Thank y'all for the recommendations!
BurnetAggie99
Be interested in finding a place hosting a SA Aggie Game Watching Party. In SA this weekend coaching Select baseball
SLF11
AG
Unfortunately, the midtown/Pearl has no good options for an outdoor "game day" option. I just moved out of Rivera, in small part due to this reason. I had heard that the Mosaic owner was negotiating a lease with Cover 3 at the bar spot under Mosaic (former Tacos n Tequila) but couldn't come to agreement on the parking - this would've done a booming business in this area. But, alas, we get Senor Fish in that location...

Yes, Elsewhere has the ability to be cool (terrible name btw), but they have only two beer lines, one TV and both food and beer are overpriced.

In summary, if I ever want to go to a bar with good outdoor seating, has numerous TVs and attracts a decent looking crowd I go to Little Woodrow's on 1604.

I'm on a soapbox now, but if San Antonio ever wants to attract young talent, it will need to get more spots that are fun for 'millennials with money'.
Hendrix
AG
Are bars without an outdoor presence even open? I'm not gathering around of bunch of strangers and getting tipsy right now.
Cotulla - Ag
AG
The Winchester and Broadway 5050. Food is "highly encouraged" to be purchased.

Other restaurants with bars are open too like Hofbrau at the quarry.

Drinking responsibly amigo.
phatbc
OilFieldIRI said:

Elsewhere bar is nice but has long lines for food and drinks since there is not a wait staff. Plus, they only have 1 tv to watch games on...
They have also been cited twice for Covid-19 violations.
was just eating across the river at Tre Trattoria the other day and was thinking there is no way they (elsewhere) were obeying covid regulations. Looked like a frat party
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.