best driving range ?

1,717 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by jgh85Ag
azul_rain
How long do you want to ignore this user?
trying to get back into golf again, i used to go to mac wylie, and bushwood any others yall like ?
you may all go to hell and i will go to Texas
Obi Wan Ginobili
San Pedro would be unbeatable if they would put a few more targets out. There's 4-5 all within 80-120 yards, and then nothing until over 150 yards. Their par 3 course is really great. It's honestly probably the best way to practice short-mid irons. Drop a ball on the tee box, don't tee it up, and practice aiming at some small greens. If you can hit those, you can hit any regular size green.

Mac Wylie is nice, never any mats, although the ground can be choppy. Not much of a short game area. I believe he now has a second location, but I haven't been to it yet.

Rolling Oaks has some great targets, which matters most to me on a driving range. They also use to have cheap buckets of beer, but I haven't been since before Covid hit.

My suggestion would be Polo Field Golf Center. They have mats and grass, tons of space, and a long line of multi colored poles to aim at. Their range balls are a mix of every type of ball you have ever heard of since they are mostly donations. Tons of Pro V's, Chrome Softs, etc. Their putting green has never been great, but it's functional. They have a relatively small chipping area, but it's got two great bunkers to practice out of.
azul_rain
Do you know if alamo is open ?
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
Obi Wan Ginobili said:

Their putting green has never been great, but it's functional. They have a relatively small chipping area, but it's got two great bunkers to practice out of.
If already at the Polo field, pick up and go over to Brack to chip and putt for practice. Big green and good short game area out back.
LCE
AG
Alamo shut down a few years ago.

Mac Wylie took over driving range. Hitting off mats only. That was a few months ago.
azul_rain
nevermind.
The Lurker
AG
Top Golf!
azul_rain
Too expensive but not a bad idea
LCE
AG
Don't know where you live, but there is a driving range and par 3 course a few miles outside Helotes on 16

azul_rain
Shavano
phatbc
R II M Golf Academy & Driving Range
valtosca
AG
The following is a statement of fact so don't shoot the messenger because of the cost ... Oak Hills CC has an amazing practice facility and the course is in phenomenal shape. It's only about 10 minutes from Shavano.
azul_rain
did alamo open back up ? or is it sill perma closed ?
valtosca
AG
https://www.sanantonio.gov/gpa/News/ArtMID/24373/ArticleID/15921/Councilwoman-Sandoval-Celebrates-Return-of-Driving-Range-at-OP-Schnabel-Park

Found that but nothing else online
azul_rain
maybe ill drive by sometime this week
jgh85Ag
AG
valtosca said:

The following is a statement of fact so don't shoot the messenger because of the cost ... Oak Hills CC has an amazing practice facility and the course is in phenomenal shape. It's only about 10 minutes from Shavano.

I will check it out tomorrow.
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
They aren't going to let your type in, don't bother.
jgh85Ag
AG
Tony Franklins Other Shoe said:

They aren't going to let your type in, don't bother.
I have a plan. Phillip is going to put a lawn mower in the back of his truck and we will hit the maintenance gate.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.