How does TXDOT decide to install a traffic light?

1,641 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Burdizzo
F4GIB71
How long do you want to ignore this user?
There are bound to be some on this forum who are knowledgeable of TXDOT's reasoning regarding installation of new traffic lights. I moved near Smithson Valley over 5 years ago. I was first amazed that the 7th largest city in the US had 13 traffic lights on 281 from 46 to 1604. We are in the process of solving that problem with the current construction. When completed, there would not be a light until you get to the Guadalupe River. Imagine my surprise when I saw a new light at the entrance to Johnson Ranch. What problem are they trying to correct? Outbound traffic will be required to turn north, then U-turn to go south. inbound traffic also has to make a U-turn to enter the neighborhood. The U-turn traffic flow makes good sense, but with adequate acceleration lanes, why do they have to stop all the north and south bound traffic on 281?

They also recently added a traffic light at the entrance to Vintage Oaks on 46. I have friends who live in Vintage Oaks who say there is minimal problem getting out of their neighborhood. Same question about stopping traffic on 46 for the two people who don't want to wait a minute to exit their neighborhood.

Two that they got right. They installed a light over a year ago at 46 and 3009, There were often long back-ups on 3000, primarily trying to turn north onto 46. Another was at 46 and 311. This was a dangerous intersection with several accidents. They added a turn off lane for northbound traffic and an acceleration lane for southbound traffic toward New Braunfels. Great solution without stopping traffic on 46. These were definitely safety issues rather than a convenience issue.

F4GIB71
LCE
AG
It's always been a cluster****.
Ginormus Ag
AG
It is about safety and trying to stay ahead of the growth with using limited money. The light at Johnson Ranch is to prevent an accident so that drivers don't have to cross 281 N to go south. Also, Johnson Ranch will be a huge development within a few years. They should build an overpass, but see the 281 debacle. Same thing with Hwy 46. There will be more developments along 46 in the coming years. Should build overpasses and expand to 4 lanes now, but no money for the projects is my guess.
Username checks out.
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
So you get a really large map of said area, place it on the ground, then you get a chicken. I'm hoping you know what happens from there.
F4GIB71
Ginormus Ag said:

It is about safety and trying to stay ahead of the growth with using limited money. The light at Johnson Ranch is to prevent an accident so that drivers don't have to cross 281 N to go south. Also, Johnson Ranch will be a huge development within a few years. They should build an overpass, but see the 281 debacle. Same thing with Hwy 46. There will be more developments along 46 in the coming years. Should build overpasses and expand to 4 lanes now, but no money for the projects is my guess.
I fully get the traffic flow pattern. Makes sense to use the U-turns with acceleration lanes rather than turning left across traffic. I just don't get the traffic lights stopping the 95% so the 5% doesn't have to wait a minute. Wish they'd looked at growth regarding 281 years ago. I realize this was delayed with the fight to prevent turning a road that the taxpayers had already paid for, into a toll road.
F4GIB71
Ulrich
So they are going to spend millions on a highway and then put a traffic light at the end so traffic gets backed up anyway?
Krazykat
AG
From what I had been told in the past... they either conduct a traffic study to see if it warrants a light or they analyze past fatality crash data.
SanAntoneAg
AG
There used to not be stoplights on 281 through San Antonio. In fact, going north, none until Marble Falls.

That all changed when people started moving into places like Smithson Valley about five years ago.
Gig 'em! '90
Picard
AG
SanAntoneAg said:

....That all changed when people started moving into places like Smithson Valley about five years ago.

People like.....the OP?

SanAntoneAg
AG
Alas, relief may be in sight.

HOV lanes on U.S. Highway 281 from Loop 1604 to north of Stone Oak Parkway are scheduled to open in 2021. They will be extended to Borgfeld Road in 2023.

https://www.mysanantonio.com/news/local/traffic/article/San-Antonio-s-first-HOV-lanes-are-set-to-open-15431497.php
Gig 'em! '90
Roger That
AG
HOV lanes are inefficient and nearly always cause more congestion than if they were traditional lanes. They have been proven to be underutilized and don't influence carpooling as they are theorized and sold.
Burdizzo
AG
I have done a few projects with TXDOT over the years. I don't know all the details of how it works, but this is the general idea.

First, you can't just connect a street or a driveway to a TXDOT road. Any connection has to go through a review and permitting process that normally involves traffic and drainage studies before they will issue a permit. This is also fine in coordination with other developments and local governments to attempt to make sure everything keeps moving .

Second, TXDOT doesn't like lights any more than most other motorists. They don't like complaints, bit they also can't do all projects at once. The traffic light in this situation was probably paid for by the developer knowing that the full build out would require a controlled intersection. Future development in the are will probably drive construction of an overpass or similar to address traffic volume. That will likely require partnering with the other local governments to get it built.

Some traffic planners and engineers may have more thoughts on this
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.