Moving to SA

1,447 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BrazosBull
MexAg05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Need some suggestions or tips if you have any. I accepted new job in northwest San Antonio and I'll be working around hwy 151 and Potranco rd. We currently live in round rock and will be selling house. We are going back and forth between renting for a year or purchasing a house once current house is sold.I have been looking around the Helotes area since it seems to be a good area. I'm open to other neighborhoods nearby. We have a three year old and another on the way so good schools are important (I'm ok w public but private is an option too). I really would like at least a 1/2+ acre lot and want to keep commute less than 30 min if possible. I appreciate any input. Thanks.
Humorous Username
AG
I can't offer much in the way of individual school knowledge, but, depending on how much you like commuting, getting to 151 and Potranco may be a challenge.

I live near Helotes, and work downtown. I gave up on taking 151 to get anywhere, unless it was a necessity, years ago. You essentially have the population of a Corpus Christi all within a mile or two of either side of 151 for its entire length, with most trying to use it during rush hour.

When I moved here 12 years ago, you could fly down the left lane of 151 on any Friday morning with almost no interruption. Around 8 years ago, it was a parking lot every day except some Fridays, where you might be able to go 65 in the left lane during the summer.

There is usually one wreck a month that ties up eastbound 151 for a while, and will make you late if you're driving during rush hour.

Helotes area is very nice. Most neighborhoods off of Bandera are gated. El Chapparal is always busy, but worth the wait. And if you're a gun person, the guys at Helotes Tactical Firearms are outstanding. You'll also be near what is probably the largest H-E-B in Texas at the corner of Bandera and 1604.

I'll probably think of more later.
Humorous Username
AG
I didn't really answer your time question in regard to a commute. Depending on where you live in Helotes, you can probably make it to 151/Potranco in approximately 30 minutes. One other thing about Helotes. If you do move to the area, be absolutely sure you get a thorough inspection of the roof of the house you might buy. We had a horrendous hail storm in April of 2016 that affected thousands of houses. We had confirmed baseball-sized hail at our house, and had to get a whole new roof. Be careful what you buy, as more than one of my friends bought houses recently that ended up having workmanship issues with roofs put on in 2016/2017.

The next major intersection closer to your work is 1604 and Shaenfield. Mostly apartments and more affordable housing, and equidistant between the larger shopping areas at 1604/Bandera and 1604/Culebra.

Our son was in The Mustard Seed, a great daycare, several years ago. I'd highly recommend it if the owner is still the same. She's a former school administrator from Northside ISD.

The area has really exploded with new homes in the last decade, and once you get to know the backroads, you can mostly avoid 1604 depending on where you're wanting to go.

The next area down is Alamo Ranch (1604 and Culebra). I've spent enough time in the shopping center there (thank you, Freebirds), that I can tell you that to this day the area still needs better road infrastructure. You'll spend a lot of time in traffic on the weekends. The Alamo Ranch neighborhood farther back behind the shopping center is very nice, and just far enough away from 1604 that the neighborhood subdivisions are reportedly quiet (hoping someone that lives there can chime in). We were this close to purchasing a home there a few years ago. There's a newer movie theater (Casa Blanca), and newer H-E-B, along with a super Target and Lowe's. You can venture just inside 1604 for another H-E-B, a Home Depot, and more fast food.

As far as renting or owning, that's up to you. We rented for a year before buying. I wasn't really familiar with San Antonio when I moved here. I can tell you that there are enough neighborhoods around here that you'll probably end up finding that you want to move from wherever you initially settle.
Señor Chang
AG
I used to work in the 151/Potranco area. I'm guessing you're DoD or a contractor? I lived in rental homes near Potranco/1604 and in Alamo Ranch. My commute was usually 30+ minutes due to the crazy traffic. This was 2012-2014, so I don't know if it has improved or not. I then bought a house near Stone Oak and my commute was actually quicker taking 281 to 410 to Culebra.
MexAg05
AG
Thank you both for that reply. I'll keep that day care in mind. I think we have decided to rent for the year to allow ourselves to pay off some other debts and improve our debt-to-income ratio. I know it's a bit of a gamble with interest rates low but I don't want to settle for something just cause I'm pressed to buy something after our current house (hopefully) sells. I realize the desire to have some acreage while being within 30 min will be difficult. I'm hoping something will pop up in the next year or so.

It's crazy to ask these questions cause I grew up in San Antonio from mid 80s through high school and during summers while at Texas A&M. I lived in a neighborhood right by 151 and Potranco. My family moved to Austin in around 2006 so that was the last time I officially lived there. To say the are has changed is an understatement. I know traffic will be much worse so I do want to take that into consideration in finding the area to live.

Thanks again for your input.

@seor Chang: I'm actually a veterinarian
SoTxAg
AG
Welcome back! I'll chime in to say that dont sacrifice where you want to be for a couple minutes shorter commute. We moved here from Corpus Christi where there is comparatively little traffic congestion, so when we got to SA i was concerned about the commute time. Long story short- we went with a house we love in far north SA which made my downtown commute about 30 minutes. But these days with podcasts, audible books, etc... the commute is not "wasted time". The occasional accident on i-10 or 281 is usually the only source of frustration now. Also helps if you can adjust your work hours to avoid the rush, even 30 minutes makes a difference.
BrazosBull
AG
Mortgage rates are probably as low as you will ever see them again. Just saying......
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.