Apartment Recs for a job at Fort Sam

2,355 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by f2foxes2001
Ranger1743
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I am relocating for a scientist position at Fort Sam Houston, looking for a safe area and to minimize my commute. Budget $1000-$1600ish, any recommendations? Married, 27, no kids (yet).
p_bubel
Anything around The Pearl or up in Alamo Heights would make for an easy commute.
azul_rain
the quarry
Ranger1743
AG
Looking at the Salado at Red Berry, it's near Skyline Park. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Salado at Red Berry
902 Gembler Rd, San Antonio, TX 78219
https://goo.gl/maps/d4Cz5fpvqEyTSKF18
Picard
AG
Nothing near Fort Sam

sklipes
There are some newer built homes on Burleson near Hackberry in Dignowity area.
Señor Chang
AG
That complex looks nice, but do you see the big neighborhood right next to it? You'd be living in the hood.

Plus two trailer parks to the north and west.

Ranger1743
AG
Yeah, that was my only concern. I think the complex is gated (following up now) which would make me feel better about it. Got a virtual tour today and the apartments and grounds are super nice.
Ranger1743
AG
Just confirmed that the whole complex is gated, with remote entry, officer on site and a big brick wall between it and the "hood".
Obi Wan Ginobili
Ranger1743 said:

Just confirmed that the whole complex is gated, with remote entry, officer on site and a big brick wall between it and the "hood".

My dude, that's not a great area. Gates and security officers won't mean much.
Sports-Ag
AG
Obi Wan Ginobili said:

Ranger1743 said:

My dude, that's not a great area. Gates and security officers won't mean much.

Agree with Obi Wan on this one. I wouldn't move to the east side. Not many friendly communities around there. Plus you may deal with traffic in the area with the AT&T center having events throughout the year when everything opens up.

Are you looking for a house or apartments?
Ranger1743
AG
Looking for an apartment for now.

I agree on the east side generally. I'm torn because everything else about this complex is ideal (reviews, commute, price, amenities). I did multiple crime searches on different sites and found no crimes have been reported on the complex property since it opened 7 months ago, which seems impressive comparing with other complexes in the vicinity which typically have several over the same period. All reviews are extremely positive (spotless, beautiful, professional staff, a hidden gem, quiet, safe, etc). There's a fire department right across from the only entrance, too. We would never walk outside of the property, and keep valuables out of our cars (which are older anyway). Plus, its on a major road, so you don't have to drive through neighborhoods to get there.

Maybe I'm just rationalizing... but it seems safer than the area suggests.
p_bubel
There's a ton a good options in great areas within a 10 minute commute at that price.
Sports-Ag
AG
That's good that it looks safe. There's no real good restaurants or supermarkets around there and the ones near there have some sketchy people.

My cousin girlfriend works at Fort Sam. Her coworker bought a house last summer in the east side and had other coworkers move in with her. None of them were from SA. My friend lived there for about 3-4 months and moved out. When I first met her she told me she moved to the east side and I was like why. She said she didn't know at the time what kind of area it was.

I don't mean to be a Debbie downer or anything it's just that side of town is rough and neglected.
Ranger1743
AG
That's very fair, thanks for the input and no apologies needed. I wouldn't buy a house in those neighborhoods and plan to steer clear of them. It's only a tough decision because this gated, yuppie-ish community seems like an awesome place and still safe despite the next neighborhood over being rough.
Señor Chang
AG
Does your wife work?
Ranger1743
AG
She is a teacher, planning on working but has not landed a position yet.
mccjames
AG
Ok so I own a business at the end of Gembler, that complex is very nice but I would not jog outside the gates at night, ever.

I would do all my shopping and restaurants eating in the Pearl/alomo heights rea which is not far.

There are lots of good BBQ and Mexican food places but nothing healthy anywhere near you.

Easy come, Easy go
mccjames
AG
I do not know about pricing but there are some nice places in monte vista also the apartments by sunset ridge in Alamo heights are nice.
Easy come, Easy go
Ranger1743
AG
Good to know, that falls in line with what we were expecting. Thanks!
toshiba
I created this username just to answer this question.

I worked at JBSA-FSH several years ago and recommend the apartments on Oakwell Farms Parkway off Harry Wurzbach. I specifically lived at the Oakhampton Place Apartments and highly recommend it if it hasn't changed much. Quiet area with a lot of professionals and military. I only moved because I took a job out of the area. Never had an issue while living here, and I loved not having to touch a highway to get to work!

The Oakwell Farms area was well-kept, felt safe, and the location could not be beat. It was a short drive away to work, Alamo Heights, Broadway St, the Quarry, Alamo Drafthouse, North Star Mall, and the airport. The Salado Creek Greenway trail is also nearby and you can walk to it using the sidewalk along Ira Lee Rd.

Most common problems I had were the small, always crowded HEB and gas pumps, and the Target on Austin Highway with Walmart-level customer service. There were some sketchy areas and old businesses, but the City has put a lot of effort into revitalizing Austin Hwy.
f2foxes2001
AG
Try sunset ridge on N New Braunfels. Easy , clean and safe.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.