Weekend visit?

1,579 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by OilFieldIRI
Naveronski
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Hey y'all, my wife and I are headed down this weekend to visit my brother at Lackland.

He's changing his MOS (not initial/AIT) so has the weekend off and no school games.

Looking for good craft beer, gastropubs, and food.
Kinda burned out on the river walk from my time at BAMC. The Pearl area was under construction when I was there, but I've heard it's nice now?
Walkable is a plus, proximity to Lackland would be convenient.

Also, what area would you stay in? Most likely will be getting an AirBnB for Friday/Saturday nights.
p_bubel
I think the Pearl is always worth a visit.

There's Alamo, Freetail, Kuenstler and Roadmap just off the top of my head within an easy drive if you're set on a brewery.
Naveronski
AG
What about getting an AirBnB in that area?

"Diverse" neighborhoods are usually fine, but don't want to stay in the actual ghetto.
p_bubel
There's no point getting a place near Lackland if you're not going to spend anytime out there. Look around downtown. King William, "Southtown", Lavaca, Tobin Hill, Mahnke Park and see what you find.

It would be a 10 to 15 minute drive to Lackland.
Jason C.
AG
Lackland is where all the COVID-19 folks are quarantined. You may know this but if not you'll probably want to.
OilFieldIRI
S
Our son is at BMT at Lackland and they notified us that the public is not going to be allowed on base for graduation ceremonies. Day passes are also in question due to the virus...
Naveronski
AG
That's unfortunate. Are they still letting the kids out with y'all for family day?
Naveronski
AG
Jason C. said:

Lackland is where all the COVID-19 folks are quarantined. You may know this but if not you'll probably want to.

Yeah, but they aren't letting you feed them. Worst zoo ever.
Naveronski
AG
p_bubel said:

There's no point getting a place near Lackland if you're not going to spend anytime out there. Look around downtown. King William, "Southtown", Lavaca, Tobin Hill, Mahnke Park and see what you find.

It would be a 10 to 15 minute drive to Lackland.

Southtown caught my eye yesterday, so good to see it listed here.

I don't have a need to go on base. We have a class 6 at the JRB up here.
p_bubel
"Southtown" is a term that is highly abused when selling/renting crap, so keep an eye out on where you're located.

In general stay east/or along Flores St, west of I-37 and north of the rail lines along Lachepelle and you'll be in a decent area.

Not that anything in the area is dangerous, but there's no point in being south of the rail line.
OilFieldIRI
S
Naveronski said:

That's unfortunate. Are they still letting the kids out with y'all for family day?
As of this morning they will not be allowed off base either. JBSA is going to stream a town hall meeting tonight on fb at 6pm to shed some light on these decisions.

I get it but lots of people are out of flight and hotel money. Business related, American Airlines refunded me for a flight I had scheduled last week but United did not. United cited the fact that they do not have an official Coronavirus policy so I get to keep the good old credit on the books.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.