Pizza in SA

6,076 Views | 50 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Obi Wan Ginobili
West Point Aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ok so when I first moved here I inquired about good BBQ / brisket places and got some great recs.

Now the question is pizza...having moved here from NY state, the choices seem very...well, weak.

I did find Big Lou's on WW White road which is actually quite good...any other recommendations?

I miss very little about NY...love it here...but the pizza...I miss good pizza...

Help!
Let’s Go Brandon!
PLUM LOCO
AG
Dough 410/Blanco
Goodnight Irene
AG
For the thin crust New York style, there is miss Ellie's at bitters/281 and rays on blanco north of 410.

No promises that they'll replace New York's though
aggie_fan13
AG
Not grimaldis
babie_kreauxda
AG
trilogy pizza
Zman91
AG
Florio's in Alamo Heights and 46th Street on Bulverde Road. For me that's the closest to NY/NJ pizza (not saying it's as good, but close as it gets here). Probably about as good as the best "Texas" bbq place you'd find up there
CoolaidWade
AG
Marios NY Pizza off Bulverde/281.

Amazing if you like thin crust NY style. They get the dough from NY.
SLF11
AG
Capos at 410 and Broadway has a pretty good NY style.
Obi Wan Ginobili
Another vote for Miss Ellie's at 281/Bitters

Headed there tomorrow because of this thread.
AggieRob93
AG
Another for Miss Ellie's.

Also Capo's, with locations at Broadway/410 and Blanco about a half-mile north of Bitters. Not strictly New York style, but dang good.
TomDoss91
AG
....and....another vote for Miss Ellie's. My boys will give up their phones for the evening just to get some of their garlic knots.
CE Lounge Lizzard
AG
I'm a fan of Big Lou's.
Burdizzo
AG
The folks that run Florio's are from New Jersey right down to the terse attitudes. My wife is from Jersey and loves that place.
poolct00
AG
Florios and Dough

Julians in Alamo heights also good
Canyon99
Burdizzo said:

The folks that run Florio's are from New Jersey right down to the terse attitudes. My wife is from Jersey and loves that place.

That makes sense now. I asked a question about an item on the menu my first time in there two years ago. Response was rather short and I could tell he didn't really care to explain. I thought he might be having a bad day but knowing they are from Jersey explains it better.

Regardless, I will continue to go back as it is close to my office.
Canyon99
poolct00 said:

Florios and Dough

Julians in Alamo heights also good

+1 for Julians. Great calzone.
LCE
AG
Freetails on 1604. Good beer as well.
Bluff Rat
AG
Pizza Classics on 281 and N. Saint Mary's
Whitetail
AG
South Flo Pizza in the big HEBs!
Obi Wan Ginobili
Went to miss Ellie's today, as promised. My lunch was definitely better than yours.
BurnetAggie99
Capparelli's On Main
caddy
Poppy's on Blanco and 410 has really good NY Style pizza. The family that owns it is from NYC.
Nick Papageorgio
AG
My favorites in town are Dough and Julian's
rwtxag83
AG
West Point Aggie said:

Ok so when I first moved here I inquired about good BBQ / brisket places and got some great recs.

Now the question is pizza...having moved here from NY state, the choices seem very...well, weak.

I did find Big Lou's on WW White road which is actually quite good...any other recommendations?

I miss very little about NY...love it here...but the pizza...I miss good pizza...

Help!
You'll find a few fan favorite places, but the reality is that there aren't many good places, just like there aren't many good italian places here. There's just not many italian people here. Chances are it'll always be lacking here. Just like there's not a bunch of great mexican places or great BBQ places in New York.
Greater love hath no man than this....
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
Capos is good, but sometimes their service is maddening, especially the Blanco store. Like Julians too.

Now I need pizza for lunch.
AgPediRPh
AG
Naples in the Alon area is my favorite. Dough and Fralo's are excellent too. For a fast pizza, MOD is very good.
Agzonfire
My favorite place is SoHill Cafe. Off of Blanco, downtown area. Close to Chris Madrids.
wadd96
AG
Check the Express-News... They are doing "52 Weeks of Pizza" right now with a new review every Friday. (They've also done 52 Weeks of Burgers and BBQ and 365 Days of Tacos in the past.)
All the God's, all the Heavens, all the Hells are within you.
nosoupforyou
AG
total thread derail but you have no stars so I can't PM direct

on the travel board, You posted on a Scotland thread back in 2010 and I'm opening up an older thread but not hte one you posted on- don't want to pull them both up and have 2 places to see ideas, but if you can reply back to this one with any thoughts on your knowledge of Aberdeen, I sure would appreciate the advice - you really know that area based on the other thread

https://texags.com/forums/54/topics/1123119/replies/55942187
cochrum
AG
Pizza Italia is my favorite. They have an awesome beer selection as well.
aggie_fan13
AG
Anybody been to 1000 degrees ?
Ragoo
AG
EZ's not a thing anymore?
Burdizzo
AG
Ragoo said:

EZ's not a thing anymore?

I think there are only two locations left.

We stopped going about 5 years ago because they totally revamped the menu, the service at the one by our house (Sunset Ridge) went in the tank, and one other lost their beer/wine license (281 & Bitters). The Quarry location is gone.

We revisited a couple of months ago, and the menu and service are back to the old way, but no one talks about EZs the way they used to. I think they have a long road to recovery.
aggie_fan13
AG
Pure nostalgia, would always get the kids menu chicken tenders or the pizza. Damn I'm getting old
Ragoo
AG
Bummer, used to go a lot as a kid. Drive in to go to the mall and stop by there for lunch.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.