Is The Pearl area struggling?

4,378 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Tobias Funke
jschroeder
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Forgive my ignorance if it's booming but every other time I hear about it, it's in reference to another place closing.
Halconblack
AG
No, the Pearl area itself is not struggling. The closing for many of the places you are reading about lately are either Chef preference, competition or lack of business planning. For example, Jason Dady (shuck Shack) likes to reinvent his restaurants. He moved his old Tre from Broadway Down into the Museum Reach and his doing the same thing with Shuck Shack. There have been several closures over the years there since competition is tough such as Tacos and Tequila, the Arcade (a personal favorite) and NAO. The Granary was brought down by the lack of success of Fontaine's, which is kind of in an isolated spot currently. Finally, they just keep building up and down that strip bringing more people in.
v/r
davetapia03
AG
The Pearl isn't struggling to attract tourists or locals on the weekends and towards the end of the week.

But restaurants have been struggling with the Mon-Thurs business along with the high rent + % of sales that they pay to stick around. It's a bit of an expensive location for a small-mid sized operation (restaurant or retail) unless you have the cash flow to make it through to the holiday season.

Also to the point that Dady likes to reinvent his restaurants...I'd reframe this view. He knows how to cut his losses, this market is very cut throat and he doesn't hesitate to close a concept and reinvent. I wish The Bin made it but they struggle with service, food costs and consistency.
Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag
In the last month The Granary has closed as well as, shuck shack, with Still Golden soon to follow. Just kinda strange for 3 popular places right next to each other to close down suddenly within a month or two of each other.

Also, Fontaine's is in a terrible location. I have never seen a single person there the hundreds of times I have passed it. I can't imagine it stays open much longer.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
p_bubel
Still Golden is being shut down due outside forces. He'll get a nice payday and open at a new spot.
PFG
AG
Isn't this x2 of that storyline for Golden?
p_bubel
Yeah. It's going to be the third location in so many years for that place.

Fortunately, he can rethink his bar layout this time. It's a mess when it gets crowded. (Which he even seemed surprised by its success in his last interview)
Halconblack
AG
Yeah, the 90 degree Interior angle bar setup is not a great choice. I do think it is amazing that there are really only two bars on that Josephine to Newell Broadway stretch (other being Sams). I wonder if the failure of tacos and tequila and the pizza place fooled them? Those two places failed because they had to run those kitchen staffs 7 days a week and traffic could get really light during the weekdays.
v/r
f2foxes2001
AG
Pearl is good and we will continue to grow. As others have said, these guys reinvent themselves periodically. Something better will go into the mosaic soon. It's a great time to be in SA.
AAM02
AG
davetapia03 said:

The Pearl isn't struggling to attract tourists or locals on the weekends and towards the end of the week.

But restaurants have been struggling with the Mon-Thurs business along with the high rent + % of sales that they pay to stick around. It's a bit of an expensive location for a small-mid sized operation (restaurant or retail) unless you have the cash flow to make it through to the holiday season.

Also to the point that Dady likes to reinvent his restaurants...I'd reframe this view. He knows how to cut his losses, this market is very cut throat and he doesn't hesitate to close a concept and reinvent. I wish The Bin made it but they struggle with service, food costs and consistency.
I'm not sure this guy knows anything about restaurants.
agforlife97
AG
Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag said:

In the last month The Granary has closed as well as, shuck shack, with Still Golden soon to follow. Just kinda strange for 3 popular places right next to each other to close down suddenly within a month or two of each other.

Also, Fontaine's is in a terrible location. I have never seen a single person there the hundreds of times I have passed it. I can't imagine it stays open much longer.
I just don't think the Granary was all that good, personally. Makes room for something better.
End Of Message
AG
Still Golden will be in the new Jefferson Bank building which will be built on that property.

Jefferson is dedicating space to Still Golden on the first floor. It's going to be awesome.
Resistance to tyranny is obedience to God.
Tobias Funke
AG
Pinche Abogado said:

Still Golden will be in the new Jefferson Bank building which will be built on that property.

Jefferson is dedicating space to Still Golden on the first floor. It's going to be awesome.

Yep, they told me last night they plan to be operational in the new space by May
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.