The Luxury

3,799 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by p_bubel
Tobias Funke
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I moved to San Antonio about 3 months ago and found a spot near the Pearl on Broadway. Was excited to learn there were a few craft beer + grub spots around me, including The Roost and The Luxury. Unfortunately The Roost closed like 2 weeks later (looks like it might reopen under different management; fingers crossed), but my real question is about The Luxury.

When I first moved here, everyone I worked with raved about this place- The food is great, the atmosphere is so cool, etc.
I'm pretty sure their kitchen is completely shut down- the menu board has a confusing note that says "Kitchen closed" but doesnt specify if that's permanent or what. Also, I walk or run by there several times a week and have only once seen the place open at all. It's such a great spot and a really cool concept, but they don't have a website, clearly don't abide by their posted hours, and it seems like nobody is ever there working.

Anybody know what gives?
aggiejim70
AG
Get in your car and drive down Broadway to the 5050.
The person that is not willing to fight and die, if need be, for his country has no right to life.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
p_bubel
The Luxury has always struck me as a place where they don't give a damn about making money.

Which they could print themselves if they just put in a little effort and opened a stupid second window for drink orders.

Additionally, that someone could manage to be so incompetent as to run Tacoland into the ground is also amazing.
p_bubel
That section of river was a fun place to jog though. I miss it.
Tobias Funke
AG
aggiejim70 said:

Get in your car and drive down Broadway to the 5050.

Looks cool. Thanks for the heads up
BennyBlancoFromTheBright
AG
You've been in San Antonio for 3 months?
No wonder you've occasionally been so surly on the other boards. (j/k . . . ?)
You and your brother (?) still doing music/shows? Remembering seeing post years back about playing somewhere on St Mary's.

I don't make it down to Pearl/River very much but did make it a point to stop by Luxury last year before the Spurs game with a friend, and was really impressed -- albeit not many people but wonderful night to be out on the river and the food we selected was great. Some type of sauteed hot peppers I'd never heard of, and some fancied up french fries and burger. I would definitely go again - of course, nice weather and good group of friends is the key.

Been wanting to try Shuck Shack - anyone have reviews or opinions on it?
Tobias Funke
AG
Shuck Shack is closing this month. They've converted it to a "Christmas Tavern" or somesuch and I think they're done at the end of December.

Haven't done any shows in a while but it's in the works. I'll try to be less surly
Sniffing Accountant
AG
Went to shuck shack this weekend and wasn't a fan. Didn't try any of the food but the service was ass and drinks were just ok.
davetapia03
AG
Not sure what's happened to the Luxury, it's been a few months since I've been.

Weissman has had problems with this location keeping up with service and consistency as well. When they're strong they're freaking strong! Some reports have indicated some inconsistency with execution.

This location is money! Weissman's focus has been on Mr. Juicy (really good burgers!!) and his recent move to Costa Rica proves challenging for him to manage his various restaurants.

It's not unlike Andrew to close a restaurant that continues to misfire especially as it reflects on his reputation.

It just shows that this industry is hard and not for the faint of heart!
Discovery77
AG
Mr. Juicy was a great burger! I thought Dady was going to re-open Shuck Shack in another location TBD? Their Nashville chicken was on point.

I just hope SA continues to support our local chefs!
davetapia03
AG
Dady just pivots, if the restaurant/concept loses money, then they rethink and pivot.

His restaurant group has had various challenges in this market but has always come through. It's a tough market to survive in!
LawHall88
AG
Tobias Funke
AG
weird. Guess that somewhat explains it
SoTxAg
AG
For craft beer options, have you tried Roadmap brewing or Back Unturned brewing yet? Both just a couple blocks away from The Lux.
BEaggie08
AG
Also, try Blue Star.
LawHall88
AG
Quote:

Star San Antonio chef Andrew Weissman has closed his River Walk bar and grill The Luxury as he prepares to move the operation to the airport this summer.

He sold the warren of storage containers, shaded patios and riverside swings to entrepreneurs Terrin Fuhrmann and Nolan Ellis, who plan to rename the space Elsewhere Garden Bar & Kitchen, which they pledged on Facebook "to transform the space into a carefully curated, overly landscaped bar and kitchen experience."
https://www.mysanantonio.com/food/restaurants/article/San-Antonio-River-Walk-bar-and-restaurant-The-14992892.php?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=socialflow&utm_medium=referral
p_bubel
God, I hope they open up a second beer window.
AG
Damn, I used to live near there and loved going. Was disappointed when they stopped giving out the dinosaur figures as your order number.
O'Doyle Rules
AG
You'd have to try hard to NOT make money hand over fist at that location. Hot weather aside...throw 20 misters and umbrellas at the tables and people would still show up when it's 95. Think Katy trail ice house in uptown Dallas.

Another beer window was absolutely needed.
Tobias Funke
AG
Met one of the new Elsewhere owners last weekend during their "soft" opening. Seems like a good dude with some cool plans for the space.

He said they are currently hiring a chef and plan to be fully open in about a month.
p_bubel
They've torn down most of Tacoland.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.