Inpatient Hospice Care Recommendations

1,460 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by kerrag06
The Dog Lord
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Looking for an inpatient hospice option for my father-in-law on the Northwest side (near Huebner and I-10). Is anyone familiar with hospice policies? I've read that it can be done within a hospital, but I wasn't sure if only certain hospitals participate. He is currently at St. Luke's Baptist in the Medical Center.

Not sure how much longer he has, but it likely won't be much longer. I'd honestly rather he stay at St. Luke's until the end if possible rather than put him through the ordeal of being transferred.
WillowCityTX_C5L1
AG
Vitas in patient on Fredericksburg Rd (between medical and wurzbach) was really terrific for my wife's dad and cousin in law when they passed. We couldn't care for her dad at home, they lifted that burden gracefully. Prayers with you and yours.
WillowCityTX_C5L1
AG
Additionally, at the time, Methodist Hospital made us leave (home or inpatient facility),, so transport was arranged by Vitas/ Methodist.
The Dog Lord
AG
WillowCityTX_C5L1 said:

Additionally, at the time, Methodist Hospital made us leave (home or inpatient facility),, so transport was arranged by Vitas/ Methodist.
Thank you. I was looking at this as an option in case they won't let us stay in the hospital (which seems to be the direction they're going currently). We also can't take him home because of the medical care he needs 24/7 or we would in a heartbeat.
OregonAggie
AG
The Dog Lord said:

WillowCityTX_C5L1 said:

Thank you. I was looking at this as an option in case they won't let us stay in the hospital (which seems to be the direction they're going currently). We also can't take him home because of the medical care he needs 24/7 or we would in a heartbeat.

Have the discharge planners at the hospital given options to you guys?

LifeCare Hospital, a Long Term Acute Carr Hospital (LTAC) off Floyd Curl, does have rooms that are used for hospice. Not sure what the requirements are for approval into the facility but the discharge planners should know. My wife works there and I could get you connected with her if you'd like.

If he requires 24 hour nursing care, I believe a LTAC could be appropriate.
The Dog Lord
AG
OregonAggie said:

Have the discharge planners at the hospital given options to you guys?

LifeCare Hospital, a Long Term Acute Carr Hospital (LTAC) off Floyd Curl, does have rooms that are used for hospice. Not sure what the requirements are for approval into the facility but the discharge planners should know. My wife works there and I could get you connected with her if you'd like.

If he requires 24 hour nursing care, I believe a LTAC could be appropriate.

We're going to talk to a case manager this morning so we should hopefully know more then. So far, we've just gotten general info from the doctors. They mentioned LTAC previously when we were still planning to continue treatment, but I'll definitely ask if that would still be an option.
OregonAggie
AG
Sounds like you're going to be getting the info you need today and that's great. I would suggest touring the facilities before you make a choice, as it's a pretty dang important decision. I believe there's 3 LTACs there so you will have options.

Good luck and I know you guys will find the right fit for your FIL.
88planoAg
AG
I can't help with local recs, but been there. FIL died from complications of bladder/kidney cancer. Treatment wasn't working so he decided to halt dialysis and go into hospice. He/family found an actual hospice facility in Tyler; his daughter lives there.

Good luck and may his passing be peaceful and without pain.
kerrag06
AG
Have been in the healthcare industry here in SA for around 10 years now and just sent you a PM.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.