Oil Pipeline Route Crosses Edwards Aquifer Recharge Zone

2,043 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Tony Franklins Other Shoe
chimmy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://therivardreport.com/map-shows-proposed-oil-pipelines-route-across-hill-country-west-of-san-antonio/
Quote:

A planned crude oil and condensate pipeline across the Texas Hill Country would cross over the Edwards Aquifer Recharge Zone on its route from West Texas to south of San Antonio, according to a map obtained by the Rivard Report.

A set of slides from Houston-based pipeline company Enterprise Products Partners dated September 2019 includes a route map that shows the pipeline extending from Midland County to Wilson County, crossing Upton, Reagan, Crockett, Schleicher, Sutton, Edwards, Real, Kerr, Bandera, Uvalde, Medina, Frio, and Atascosa counties along the way. The route would put the pipeline over the area where water recharges the Edward Aquifer, the main drinking water supply for 2 million people in the San Antonio region.

Should residents of SA be concerned?
george1992
Looks like the red line ends very close to our family farm in WC. I imagine it is where the large terminal center is located on the Karnes/WC line. Doesnt bother me but I'm a selfish greedy mineral interest owner up in the Permian Basin.
mccjames
AG
So which is worse all the old, outdated, not monitored sewer lines all over the recharge zone. Or a modern, regulated, inspected and monitored pipeline? There is a ton of much more hazardous stuff over the recharge zone than an petroleum pipeline. Be more worried about chrome plating and dry cleaners. Some of the stuff they use can migrate through the soil for a long way!
valtosca
AG
I challenge everyone to educate themselves on pipelines. The most effective and efficient means of transporting crude and refined products.

> Average depth of pipelines is 3-5 feet.
> Saws has 12,000 miles of pipelines themselves
> All crude and refined products lines are well regulated.
> The lines are required to be hydro tested to MAX PRESSURE prior to being put in service. Pressures at which will never be seen on a regular basis in crude lines.
> Welds are X-rayed prior to being put in service

Is there a risk of leaks? Certainly, but what doesn't have risks? 3,800 people died in car crashes last year and yet I bet everyone reading this thread will drive to work tomorrow. Rest assured that there is an infinitely greater chance of you being in a car wreck than being affected by a pipeline accident.
valtosca
AG
There are active, naturally occurring oil seeps:

https://response.restoration.noaa.gov/oil-and-chemical-spills/oil-spills/resources/what-are-natural-oil-seeps.html
valtosca
AG
Should SA be concerned?
> Not at all. This is hardly the first pipeline over a water source.

Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
And those are a LOT older. No fear at all. Incidents do happen, but the percentage chance will be very, very low.

Much more concerned with run off from parking lots and old unregulated sites as mentioned before.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.