House Hunting in SA

2,870 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by mwp02ag
romanagg11
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Howdy Ags,

I recently relocated to SA for work and been looking at homes to buy, my questions for y'all SA locals are:

for a new home, should I avoid Lennar homes?

we liked the KB homes in the hidden canyon area off of Potranco and 211, your thoughts on that area and future growth/commute?

we have also looked at new/pre-owned homes in alamo ranch area but not happy about the culebra/1604 congestion, is that temporary?
Also, pre-owned homes looked at in the (281/1604) thousand oaks area just north of mcalister park but prices of homes are a little high and most require upgrading so that's why we are thinking to build a new home.

Not sure if it exist, however, is there a community/area with alot of other Aggies?

About us: family of 2, young mid-30's professionals looking to buy a 3 to 4 BR home. Budget is around 265K.
Weekday activities:
Commuting to/from the Lackland AFB area (non-military) for work.

*Any advice is appreciated. Gig'em
pgag04
AG
You may want to look out off glam rd. There are several subdivisions that are new and are still being built.
datwin9
AG
I have worked Kelly/Lackland for almost thirty years nows. Where you are looking is fine as long as you continue to work in the Kel/Lac area. If you decide to take a job any where else accross the northside of town, the commute will be awful.

We live off I10 & De Zavala. It is an easy commute to Lackland and we are mostly centrally located.
azcast
AG
Howdy romanagg11!

I was born and raised in San Antonio (but have been in Ohio for the past four years for grad school) so hopefully I can provide some help.

In my opinion, you cannot go to wrong with any of the options that you listed. I personally like Potranco road due to the location (my family lives nearby) and convenience of everything around e.g. H-E-B, restaurants, etc.

As far as growth is concerned, I will say that San Antonio is one of the fastest growing cities in Texas. I go down to San Antonio about twice a year to visit family and there is always something being built e.g. homes, apartment complexes, highways, schools etc. In particular, there has been a good amount of growth in the areas that you listed in the past few years (especially on Potranco and Alamo Ranch). Consequently, you will often feel the effects of traffic and construction in those areas.

All in all though, the locations you listed are great places for families and would recommend them.

Lastly, I am honestly not to sure about communities of Aggies unfortunately, so hopefully somebody else can chime in there.

Hope this provided some insight!

Gig'em!
TXAggie4Christ
AG
Howdy OP,

I just helped an active duty Navy buyer close 7/2 at Texas Research Park off Hwy211/Lambda. 2nd buyer ive helped in that subdivision one working at Ft Sam & the other at Lackland.

They both went with Rausch Coleman.........construction manager in that subdivision is an Aggie. Strong early equity on lender appraisal, Microsoft in the area, pool & amenities almost done. Nice spot.
p_bubel
There's stuff within your budget in Terrell Heights, but you have to move quick.

Also:

E Nottingham

If you're patient larger homes in good condition can be bought just north of 410 in Forest Oaks.

Oak Ledge Dr

I do this for a living and frankly, I always caution friends from going new build. There's sometimes depreciation for several years because buyers are just looking for new builds and will avoid the 4 year old house down the street.

It's a solid budget, but there's a lot of buyers in that price range too. Take a little more time and don't dick around if you find something you like.
agforlife97
AG
romanagg11 said:

Howdy Ags,

I recently relocated to SA for work and been looking at homes to buy, my questions for y'all SA locals are:

we liked the KB homes in the hidden canyon area off of Potranco and 211, your thoughts on that area and future growth/commute?

we have also looked at new/pre-owned homes in alamo ranch area but not happy about the culebra/1604 congestion, is that temporary?
Also, pre-owned homes looked at in the (281/1604) thousand oaks area just north of mcalister park but prices of homes are a little high and most require upgrading so that's why we are thinking to build a new home.

Not sure if it exist, however, is there a community/area with alot of other Aggies?

About us: family of 2, young mid-30's professionals looking to buy a 3 to 4 BR home. Budget is around 265K.
Weekday activities:

If you're looking for an agent, I'd recommend Liz Zepeda 210-712-4841. She has a lot of experience in the areas you mentioned.
valtosca
AG
I'm a local agent and have had the pleasure of helping several folks via TexAgs. Would love to be of service!

Patrick Thompson
210-422-2074 call or text!

AggieDarlin
AG
Take p_bubel's advice.

Alamo Ranch has become a cluster and with that weirdass intersection at Hwy 151/Alamo Ranch Parkway, traffic will stay congested and even get worse with the continued growth in the near future. It's like a wannabe Stone Oak.

That little spot around 151/211 on Potranco seems to have some nice homes going up, but I personally would avoid the area. The newer neighborhoods close to 1604/Potranco are already in decline and it's creeping up Potranco. Who knows, maybe it'll hold in the area you're looking at.
romanagg11
Y'all are awesome! I really appreciate the input. I'm currently working with someone that was located through my company benefits program, however, if it does not work out I will definitely reach out.

This is not the first time buying a home, however, it is my first time buying in a seller's market.
Macarthur
romanagg11 said:

Y'all are awesome! I really appreciate the input. I'm currently working with someone that was located through my company benefits program, however, if it does not work out I will definitely reach out.

This is not the first time buying a home, however, it is my first time buying in a seller's market.
Have you given much thought of where you want your kids to go to school? That should be a sig factor in your thinking.
romanagg11
Not really.... what's your thoughts on Clarence galm elementary? If we end up buying there, We're not planning on living in the area but 5 years unless there are circumstances that keep us in this area.
Walter Kovacs
AG
romanagg11 said:

Howdy Ags,

Weekday activities:

A little late to the party, but I can answer any questions over the 211/potranco area. I live right there. There is nothing outstanding or terrible about Lennar. From what I've seen, the individual build crew, supervisor, and home inspector mean more than the actual company. Choosing a neighborhood means Nisd or Medina Valley. There are at least 4 Nisd elementaries and 2 middle schools in the area. Medina valley schools are just a bit further down Potranco. If you don't have kids, it doesn't matter.

Imho, now is an excellent time to buy near 211/potranco because a lot of construction just finished. Potranco is now 4 lanes from 211 to 1604. The projects at 1604/90, 410/90, 410/151, and 1604 from bandera to 90 are all wrapping up or have wrapped up. The shopping center at 1604/potranco near Walmart is now open.

Alamo ranch (1604/90) is a mess for traffic. Culebra sucks from talley to 1604. If it isnt construction, its concrete trucks and congestion. The closer you get to 1604 the worse it gets. Evenings and weekends are frustrating to say the least. The 151 entrance isnt much better. Better neighborhoods though. Ladera on 211 is closer to Alamo ranch, price and quality wise.

The 211 to 90 commute to Lackland is easy. Some traffic on 211 the closer you get to 7am but nothing like city traffic. 90 just got a lot easier once the 410 project finished and lanes opened back up. 15-20 minutes maybe. If it were me, I would buy new in the area. New home prices rose ~10% in the past 2 years. Used homes in my hood are selling for about the same as new and property taxes went up a fair bit too. 265k may not get you in to all the neighborhoods in the area, but it's more than enough to get in to most of them. I would shoot for a 3br single story.
Macarthur
romanagg11 said:

Not really.... what's your thoughts on Clarence galm elementary? If we end up buying there, We're not planning on living in the area but 5 years unless there are circumstances that keep us in this area.

I am in Rogers Ranch which means my kids went Vineyard Ranch Elem, Lopez Middle and Reagan High. We have been very pleased with the academic rigor. Reagan can be ridiculous competitive. I know it's hard to know what your kids will be involved in down the road, but Reagan also has top notch fine arts programs. One of the top band programs in the state and their choir just won an international competition in Italy.

Just like anywhere, there are some headaches and frustration, but overall, we could not have been more pleased with our choice.
romanagg11
Any home inspectors anyone can recommend that do a great work?
mwp02ag
AG
I am a TREC Real Estate Inspector! I built almost 250 homes, most with Perry Homes in NB and the most recent home I build was a $600k model for Princeton Classic Homes before I realized I was building other peoples dreams, not my own. October will be the end of my 4th year inspecting homes for Good Guys Home Inspections. My cell is 830-624-5991.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.