Tile/Shower repair tradesmen for west SA needed

1,919 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by HillCountryRetreatAg
BrazosDog02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Our new house is going to be a bit of a fix up job so I need to start here. It's an old house from the late 1860's that's been remodeled and some of it using sub par contractors.

I have a nice beautiful tile shower stall down less than 5 years ago by the previous owner. Water leaks out onto the antique hardwood floor around the stall. I've been told it leaked shortly after install. Apparently a rubber pan was installed and after the leak some tiles were removed to "add more waterproofing". It still leaks.

My opinion is that it needs tile removed down to the pan to verify that was even done, and preferably a Kerdi product or properly installed membrane installed on the walls. This may be quick and easy. Either way I need some recs on experienced tradesmen.

Does anyone have anyone they recommend to do this type of job? I'm in roofing and understand hack jobs...so said company should be able to provide references and insurance.
valtosca
AG
Vincent Stevenson (210) 290-2283

He's a handyman who helps my Real Estate clients.

- Patrick
p_bubel
Quote:

It's an old house from the late 1860's
I got nothing to add, but that's pretty cool.
JR2007
AG
Manny Ramirez is currently finishing up our second bathroom and recently redid a friends bathroom in their 90 year old house. He works with his brother and dad, who are all very friendly have great attention to detail. He was able to preserve some original mosaic tile in our 50 year old bathrooms and tie it into a more modern look. Highly recommend his work. https://manyshomeremodel.com/
AgCWby90CS
AG
p_bubel said:

Quote:

It's an old house from the late 1860's
I got nothing to add, but that's pretty cool.
no kidding, start of the civil war era.
CWby '90
p_bubel
I was going to guess it was one of the remaining farmhouses in town surrounded by newer neighborhoods. Something like this, but outside of King William, it's pretty rare to find stuff pre1870.
BrazosDog02
AG
If I have my timeline messed up or dates not working out, it's not intentional. So with that....here we go.

The dates are really spotty and I don't have my family history book handy. The issue is that the family was part of the founding members of the town of Castroville. However, while I have documented evidence of that, I don't have any evidence of the house being around prior to the 1860s, it may have been. We had a ton more land as did most of the settlers that were granted land from Sam Houston and then the empresario Henri Castro. The state of Texas doesn't have all of the records digitized so I only have access to what I have. The kicker is that there may have been a prior land owner who was the original grantee which would make us the second. Either way, the deed is from the republic of Texas and I'm pretty certain....not dead certain...the home is in the ballpark but obviously could be older.

The other catch is that this home has had generations of modifications. We still have and use the old old farm house which predates the one I'm talking about located a hundred feet away or so. It is limestone and roughly 900 square feet and it is the home that people lived...survived in until the means and ability to build the one I'm talking about here. So...this house might not be quite as old as I think but until I pin down more data it's what I have. We have a dining room that used to be a back porch and a front porch that has concrete poured in the 50's and it's been changed a little. It still has the original structure and wood floors inside which are quite literally scrubbed down and weathered. There are burn marks in the kitchen from where coals were loaded into whatever cooking apparatus was used. It's been urethaned but all character was preserved otherwise.

Now...the trick is to move yet another generation and family of four into a home built before hvac, electricity and running water. We of course have that, but I'm trying to spruce it up. Lol.

It's fun because the home is not and was not designed as anything more than a tool. It was not designed to be a status symbol as many are today. Rooms are small, space was not something that was necessity. It was built to keep you sort of warm, dry, and keep you safe from the elements, wild animals and all manner of bad guys. Family was farmer and ranchers...work was outside, not inside. It's a tool and while it has all of the charm (and some argument that a long passed member never really left the porch, if you know what I mean) of a current ranch/farm home, it's still doing its thing and we are looking forward to moving it forward and caring for what is left of the original granted land from Houston.

This is a labor of love and my in laws have taken great pains in restoring it to a nice and livable space as it was always intended.

Among fixing a leaking shower is finding a foundation guy that can help us level out the settling floor. We don't need perfection but I'd like level ish and also someone to make sure the structure is still sound.
p_bubel
Man that's awesome. I'd love to see picts if you find time.

If it's in the Bexar, you can search online for the original deeds. It's a bit clunky but it can work. It's how I found mine from 1893.

https://bexar.tx.publicsearch.us/

Bexar was a massive county, it included most of west Texas at one point so you might be able to search even if you are in Medina. (edit- nevermind, Medina was carved out of Bexar in 1848)
AgCWby90CS
AG
love the history and tracing all the way back. awesome. My family has traced roots all the way back from Fredericksburg to ship logs of arrival at Indianola Bay and original place in Germany which is still owned by relatives/descendants.

Put all that together in a notebook of some kind for posterity and passing down thru the generations.
CWby '90
BrazosDog02
AG
Thanks for the advice and comments! We are in Medina county. While there are so many people around us now, It is neat to think that when the place was built, it was quite a rough piece of country and hostile at times. It happened all over the state. Tough people.
HillCountryRetreatAg
S
If you want old school "plumb, straight, square" work call Adrian Salinas at Quality Bath & Floors. Adrian did our shower remodel, hardwood floors, crown molding, baseboards, interior painting, and deck replacement. Awesome to work with. Cell: 210-363-2424. Tell Adrian Chris & John recommended you call.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.