Mayoral discussion

5,964 Views | 43 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by O'Doyle Rules
JR2007
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
With the upcoming election, I'm looking to become a more informed voter from those in the know. Even with the expectation that SA will vote democrat, Nirenberg looks to be toting the liberal party line akin to the big cities in blue states. I hear mixed reviews of Brockhouse, but is he the best option of anyone with a legitimate shot?
The Lurker
AG
Off topic but good time to reflect on Nirenbergs time as mayor:

Passed mandatory sick leave ordinance which obviously will negatively impact some small businesses.

Published open letter to Amazon that he won't be submitting RFP for their second headquarters. San Antonio had close to zero chance but Nirenberg didn't have to go out of his way to tell a prominent business they weren't welcome.

He said the RNC was not welcome to host convention here. Loss of tax revenue and revenue for local business. Several prominent business leaders asked him to reconsider. Missed an opportunity to showcase the city to people from outside the state to move their businesses and families here. Chairman of Trump campaign is well known San Antonian who was trying to help city.

A Fortune 100 corporation based in San Antonio, Andevor/formerly Tesoro, was purchased and hundreds of high paying jobs could get transferred or fired. Is City doing anything to offer incentives to keep these? City council was busy at the time telling RNC they were not welcome during this time.

Longtime city manager left.

Terrible airport for 6th largest city in the nation got unnecessary publicity with Chick-fil-a fiasco. Obviously politically motivated and not best decision was made. Another example of why this city leaders make political decisions instead of what's best for city and businesses.

Fortune 500 company CST brands (Valero gas stations) acquired by Circle K. Not sure of impact to San Antonio corporate HQ and if any were fired or transferred. Curious if City did anything to offer incentives to keep corporate jobs here.

Most importantly, Circle K gas stations no longer offer free coffee when Spurs win in playoffs!

Lastly, there is still no wall around 410 to keep inner-loopers from flooding across to pillage outer-loop.

Good things: I think some more call centers announced they were opening in San Antonio...

I'm sure I left things off. IMO, Nirenberg desperately wanted to become mayor at any cost. He needed support of Castro and others for final votes to win election and has been trying to please them since. I believe he was much more moderate when he was a councilman. He goes out of his way to harm local businesses to score political points.

It will be interesting to see what happens with USAA, Valero and Nustar and if they expand in San Antonio or other markets. Microsoft was awarded $10 billion contract by DOD. Hopefully San Antonio has a shot at their data center construction.
BlackLab
AG
Quote:

IMO, Nirenberg desperately wanted to become mayor at any cost. He needed support of Castro and others for final votes to win election and has been trying to please them since. I believe he was much more moderate when he was a councilman. He goes out of his way to harm local businesses to score political points.

I had this same thought recently. He was much more moderate as the district 8 councilman but of course he had to answer to shavano, dominion, etc.
NastyNate
Agree with everything you said.

I especially agree that once the Castro brothers got involved, he went hard left. The mayors in San Antonio are mostly just figureheads but at least I'd like one who doesn't do the stupid **** that Nirenberg has done so far.
BrazosBull
AG
Then there is the Chick Filet embarrassment
SanAntoneAg
AG
Brockhouse is about 2 minutes away from being a nut job, but he'll get my vote over the progressive body builder.
p_bubel
They both suck donkey balls.
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
Love Nimrodberg's commercial on the radio. More kids graduating from high school and college. I thought that was the natural progression as the population grows and he takes credit for it. Bonus is that more are staying local. That's not always a good thing you dingleberry.

Also, low unemployment rate. I would applaud that if it wasn't OVER THE ENTIRE FREAKING COUNTRY.

Castro endorses him. Would rather vote for Puffy Taco, Donkey Lady, Lila Cockrell, or a bag of hammers.
Burdizzo
AG
p_bubel said:

Ditto
superunknown
AG
I wish there was a legit discussion about SAT. For what it is, its a great airport. But it's never going to be more than what it is...a mid-market large spoke to huge nearby hubs. With United hubbed at IAH and American hubbed at DFW and Southwest with 2 of their largest stations at DAL and HOU, what else can San Antonio expect? I think the time for an Austin/SA regional airport went by when Bergstrom became the new Austin airport.
JR2007
AG
p_bubel said:

Kinda my opinion so far. Any Brockhouse opinions from those more familiar with his record?
Burdizzo
AG
JR2007 said:

p_bubel said:

Kinda my opinion so far. Any Brockhouse opinions from those more familiar with his record?

Brockhouse leans conservative when it suits him (Chick-fil-A) and is in bed with the SAFD union that wants to bilk the city through collective bargaining. The only reason Nirenberg is taking a hard stance against the union is because the Chamber of Commerce wants him to do so. Without their support he would be Castro II. Brockhouse is no friend to the city.
AgPediRPh
AG
The Lurker said:

Longtime city manager left.
That's on Brockhouse
p_bubel
Serious question, are you allowed to write in a candidate on the electronic ballot?

I don't recall.
diablo loco
Both are terrible as stated. One is an actor playing the part of a politician with a weak spine and the other is a cherry picked union thug and straw man. Hard to believe those are the choices.
BennyBlancoFromTheBright
AG
el diablos y muchas lunas said:

Hard to believe those are the choices.
Really. REALLY?

Look at the spectacle of importance going on right now in this supposed 'major urban city.'

Aged adolescents and ignorant voters have and will control the fate of this city forever.
CoolaidWade
AG
superunknown said:

I wish there was a legit discussion about SAT. For what it is, its a great airport. But it's never going to be more than what it is...a mid-market large spoke to huge nearby hubs. With United hubbed at IAH and American hubbed at DFW and Southwest with 2 of their largest stations at DAL and HOU, what else can San Antonio expect? I think the time for an Austin/SA regional airport went by when Bergstrom became the new Austin airport.
Now count Delta designating Austin as a Mainline Hub for them as of November of last year. That will open up a crapton of flights to non-Delta Hubs. Direct to Amsterdam could be as quick as this summer. They already flew some trial flights direct AUS-AMS last SXSW.

That may take away from the few Delta flights out of SAT. Look for them to cut least one SAT-ATL out of SAT
superunknown
AG
I'm curious to see how that works for Delta when all the current expansion at AUS is done. Imagine they'll start with 60-100 flights?
CoolaidWade
AG
superunknown said:

I'm curious to see how that works for Delta when all the current expansion at AUS is done. Imagine they'll start with 60-100 flights?
Word is they are going pretty big with Austin. At least 60 flights by the end of the year and to non-hub cities. They aren't making it a mainline hub just for more flights to ATL, LAX, MSP, or DTW. That is a pretty big deal and they already layed off and rehired all the Ramp agents and switched them from DGS (Their third party contractor they use for smaller airports) to mainline Delta employees.

Expect much more Domestic Non-Hub Cities and international to at least AMS right now and others down the road.

So now Austin is a mainline hub with a Delta Skylounge.

That isn't good for SAT. I don't think we will lose many flights other then ATL (just because SAT is already running 7-8 flights a day there) but Austin will really kill any shot of Delta really expanding their footprint in SAT. They only have 3 gates which they use right now.
superunknown
AG
It'll be interesting to see how it goes....the Austin thread on the forums on airliners.net are foaming at the mouth for it. Apparently all the gates will be done around June or so? That's very interesting that they brought ground crew under mainline. I hate that AUS growth seems to come at SAT's expense but even if it didn't, there's not a whole lot that can be done with SAT hemmed in where it is and i don't even know if the demand is there for more.

FWIW i love SAT and think it's a pretty good airport for a non-hub midsize airport, favorable to any of the smaller hubs than have been downsized (PIT, CVG, MKE, etc)
Cee gee
How does SA not have better candidates than this... I can't find myself voting for Nuremberg... don't like the other guy either
BlackLab
AG
From Nextdoor (not my take):

- City Counsel approved for CPS and SAWS to increase your rate by 30% over 5 years

- The Mayor has delayed a vote on the Climate Action and Adaption Plan until May 16 (after the election - typical politician). This plan is to make San Antonio carbon free emissions by the year 2050 and it has a projected price tag of up to $1 BILLION dollars through 2030. Don't you love how city counsel loves to spend our money. Read about this yourself. The media is not covering this topic.

- I have read NuStar and Valero may pull out of San Antonio if this plan is passed. If you work here, you may want to go vote for Greg Brockhouse (Mayor) and Tony Valdivia (city counsel candidate)

- Other news: We know 12,000 immigrants were dropped off last month in San Antonio with another 50,000 expected within the next several months. This is not a 'racial' statement. It is just a fact. Interpret this as you will.

- Yes, San Antonio is still being sued for being a sanctuary city. We are being sued for $12 MILLION by the state of Texas. There is an 'investigation' of the police chief, the mayor and the city manager's actions. Read about this yourself. It is on the internet.

- San Antonio's local church ministers and concerned citizens appealed to the mayor and city counsel to reconsider the Chick-fil-A deal and the mayor flat out said NO... Many of the city's church ministers are now encouraging we vote our current city representatives out of office.
borski99
AG
I guess the city can't affiliate with David Robinson any longer. He is a proponent of Fellowship of Christian Athletes, the organization CFA got in trouble with over donating to them. If the city ever recognizes him in any way they are hypocrites. What about all the other businesses that donate to Salvation Army?
agforlife97
AG
BlackLab said:

- I have read NuStar and Valero may pull out of San Antonio if this plan is passed. If you work here, you may want to go vote for Greg Brockhouse (Mayor) and Tony Valdivia (city counsel candidate)

This is possible, but the scuttle is that they may move out of Bexar County (i.e. to Boerne) but not out of the SA area proper.
Burdizzo
AG
Looks like a runoff.

Every incumbent was re-elected except for the mayor who is in a runoff.
AggieMD95
AG
If you live in Alamo heights or hill country village can you vote in the San Antonio city elections. For mayor ?
Burdizzo
AG
Nope
SA68AG
AG
Mayor Ron has turned into a left wing radical and needs to go.
Burdizzo
AG
Tough choice

Left wing radical

Or

Weird guy who preaches conservatism and is in the pocket of the FD union that wants to bilk the city with the collective bargaining agreement.
SA68AG
AG
Burdizzo said:

Tough choice

Left wing radical

Or

Weird guy who preaches conservatism and is in the pocket of the FD union that wants to bilk the city with the collective bargaining agreement.
I'd rather spend taxes on cops and fireman than some crazy plan to totally eliminate carbon emissions in SA

Mayor Ron's plan to contain costs for the police force is to eliminate arrests for "small crimes' and not to enforce various trespassing and vagrancy ordinances. Less arrestable crime = less need for cops.

Mayor Ron would love for SA to become another progressive, enlightened city like Seattle or San Francisco.

You can count on Mayor Ron to continue to stick his nose into how businesses should spend their money and resources on his socially correct projects.

The Brockhouse may only be capable of fixing pot holes but at least people actually benefit from that. The lesser evil of two horrible candidates.

Burdizzo
AG
We had a mayor who just wanted keep the city in the black and provide basic services. Her name was Ivy Taylor (no pun intended). I was disappointed she didn't get re-elected.
aggiebrad94
AG
Burdizzo said:

Looks like a runoff.

Every incumbent was re-elected except for the mayor who is in a runoff.
Absolutely pitiful that the religious freedom having incumbents won so easily.
Emotional Support Cobra
AG
Early voting runs through Tuesday June 4, except Sunday, when you can neither vote nor eat tasty Hate Chicken!
p_bubel
God I still hate both of these candidates, what an effin joke.
Burdizzo
AG
p_bubel said:

God I still hate both of these candidates, what an effin joke.

I want to laugh. I want to laugh A LOT.

And then I realize one of these two idiots is going to be in charge of the city.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.