The Martini Club

2,014 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by hook60
DTP02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This used to be my wife's and my go-to place in SA about 12-15 years ago. It was a fun little lounge near North Star that got packed on the weekends because that was when the owner, who was a former Vegas lounge singer, would come on. He was great; really entertaining and downright uncanny with some of his covers.

He has since retired but my wife and I were thinking of visiting The Martini Club when we are back in town this weekend. The band this weekend is called Soul Grammar I think.

Anyone been there recently who can describe the vibe, crowd, or who knows the band?
SanAntoneAg
AG
Wayne Harper. Man, my wife and I and our friends used to love going to that place. Always had a good time there. Dude was talented!
LCE
AG
Good question. It's been 15 years are so since I've been there. Was a fun place
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
Yeah, been more than 15 years for us. No idea what shape it's in but that was always a great time. Wayne could belt it out with the best.
DTP02
AG
We tried to hire Wayne to play our wedding which was back during that same timeframe. We basically begged him and asked him to name his price. He thought about it but said he was "too old to be lugging around equipment and all that, wouldn't even know how to do it." Would have been awesome; he would have been the best wedding singer ever..
aggiejim70
AG
Prior to 2/26/91 I was getting my mail there, that is to say I was a regular. Managed by good friend and mentor who has gone to the big cocktail party in the sky JDS '49.
The person that is not willing to fight and die, if need be, for his country has no right to life.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
dg77ag
AG
Shady-one of a kind, miss that guy.
rwtxag83
AG
Many good times in that place with old friends. All good things come to an end. It was the guy that made the place.

I haven't been by there in years. Only time I'm even in the area is passing by these days.
Greater love hath no man than this....
bam02
AG
Yep he's a great entertainer and a pretty darn good musician.

I wanna say we were last there ~5 years ago and he was still performing.
Beckdiesel03
AG
Wow, I had not thought about that place in years. It was one of the first places I went to when I moved to New Braunfels in 2003. My roommate loved that place.
Return to Glory
AG
I think Wayne sold the place around 2-3 years ago. I haven't been there in awhile but I still hear good things about it.

Also, I think Wayne originally purchased the club from an Aggie, Shady Strickel.
hook60
Shady's bus for football games was classic- old Baptist school bus with beer taps on the sides. Always parked right by the stadium entrance.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.