Best area for single 35 year old dude?

2,609 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by GreasenUSA
Tobias Funke
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I've been out of state for a few years but finally being called back to the mothership within the next few months. What's the best/coolest area for a guy my age these days?

Let's pretend I decide to rent instead of buy for a while: I would prob be renting in the $1500-2000 range (currently in Chicago so my rent budget may be way inflated).
Work will be based 281/Bitters area but I'll be flying in/out of SAT pretty frequently as well.

Thanks in advance!
p_bubel
The Pearl area.
Ragoo
AG
What do you enjoy doing in your free time now?
Tobias Funke
AG
Ragoo said:

What do you enjoy doing in your free time now?

Live music, running, traveling. I always tend to live where I can walk or ride to a decent number of restaurants/bars.
Ragoo
AG
The the pearl area would be really great. The 281 corridor up to 410 has pretty much every thing you need.
O'Doyle Rules
AG
Get your mind right...I'm betting the Chicago dating scene is about 100x better than SA's.
LCE
AG
Look at The Rim area also.
R E L
AG
Stone Oak is probably your best location for traffic. You can Uber to SAT from there for less than $15, and the drive can be as quick as 10-15 minutes if you catch an early morning or late evening flight. But the 9-5 traffic is a nightmare, and the culture of the area is changing. A lot of upper class (read snobby) Mexican nationals are moving into the area, coupled with a more "suburban" feel than you probably want.

The Pearl will give you what you are looking for in terms of age and activity. The rent is about the price you are used to and the walkability of the area is amazing. Lots of young professionals, but you have to be willing to do the commute. It's longer distance than Stone Oak, but you should be going opposite of most traffic so it might not be as bad.

The Rim is an ok alternative, but the traffic from there to Bitters/281 or SAT is the worst in the city. We moved from Stone Oak to a few acres north of Helotes because I was doing the 281 through I-10 route on 1604 three to four times a day for work. Wife now works from home and I have a nice hill country drive to work with little traffic. I wouldn't do that commute again. Hope that helps.
Tobias Funke
AG
Super helpful. Thanks everyone!

I have a meeting at Hotel Emma this week so I'll check out the area
Tobias Funke
AG
Boy, SA has really embraced this whole scooter thing huh?
bam02
AG
Definitely the Pearl.
AG
Pearl has banned scooters I believe, may not have gone into effect yet.
p_bubel
Tobias Funke said:

Boy, SA has really embraced this whole scooter thing huh?
Yeah, you would think it was the end of the world with the way some folks are reacting to it.
Burdizzo
AG
Sadly, Raffles has closed.
Sports-Ag
AG
Scooters all over the downtown area. A nice way to go day drinking.

Like everyone mentioned, the Pearl area. Area continues to get bigger as they keep building.

You could also do the Southtown/Blue Star area if you want live in apartments or townhomes. Nice restaurants and bars.
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
Burdizzo said:

Wrinkles?
borski99
AG
There's some very interesting places in San Antonio no one talks about. Southtown seems interesting and there's some places scattered through town where you can have horses inside 1604. Pearl is hip, gets all the pub, but i'd talk to realtors who have been around for 30+ years if you want to do something more off the beaten path
O'Doyle Rules
AG
borski99 said:

There's some very interesting places in San Antonio no one talks about. Southtown seems interesting and there's some places scattered through town where you can have horses inside 1604. Pearl is hip, gets all the pub, but i'd talk to realtors who have been around for 30+ years if you want to do something more off the beaten path

Well lets not keep it a secret anymore. Where are these "very interesting places no one talks about?"
Emotional Support Cobra
AG
Southtown is really going strong right now with the young professional/single crowd. St.Mary's, Blue Star, king William, all along s. Alamo there is a ton of food and activity and lots of rental scooters.
p_bubel
I have a shack in Southtown/King William and I'd trade it for a shack near the Pearl if I didn't have so much blood wrapped up into the place.

That said, it's still a good option.
babie_kreauxda
AG
Burdizzo said:

savage - is ur boy trying to go GILF huntin'?
babie_kreauxda
AG
if I was you, check out Big Tex or Southtown Flats.
Burdizzo
AG
Krobocop
GreasenUSA
AG
I meet your same requirements and have enjoyed living at the Quarry for a year and a half now. Up and down Broadway has some great hangouts, 3 miles down 281 to the Pearl, a mile to the airport, and 3 miles north to 281/Bitters. Everything is pretty easy to get to from here.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.