Proposal Ideas on Riverwalk

2,482 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Matsui
Nobody Knows My Name
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm getting ready to take the next step and propose to my girlfriend soon! I'm from Houston and not all that familiar with hotels, restaurants, etc. on the Riverwalk. I booked a room at Hotel Contessa. We would arrive on a Friday night around 8pm before Christmas so the planning should begin shortly thereafter. I would have preferred a Saturday arrival, but I started planning too late.

Any suggestions on a place (Marriage Island?) to pop the question and dining ideas for the night? Any recommendations for photographers as well?

I'm all ears with any and all suggestions (except for "don't do it!").
jgh85Ag
AG
There is marriage island. Try that for the proposal site.

I wont say dont do it but I will say, dont let her eat the cake!
p_bubel
I haven't eaten there in years, but The Fig Tree is a very small and intimate restaurant.
p_bubel
If either of you like jazz, Jazz, TX at the Pearl could be interesting. Plenty of quiet spots along the river up there to propose as well.
Nobody Knows My Name
AG
Thanks for the suggestions thus far! I should add she's not all that into fine dining (she doesn't eat seafood and prefers chicken over steak) so the restaurant choice doesn't have to be super fancy or romantic. She would be perfectly satisfied with grilled chicken, Italian or Mexican food.
Bluff Rat
AG
I proposed to my wife on the Riverwalk underneath the Lighted Fish which is about a 10 to 15 minute walk from the Pearl towards downtown. We then and had dinner the Tower of the Americas which has a cool aerial view of SA.

Good luck to you!
AgShaun00
AG
pearl has some unique restaurants that are fun.

Next day for lunch go to Dough. Great Italian pizzeria that has amazing burrata. My favorite restaurant.

The river walk restaurants aren't that good in my opinion. You could go up the tower for dinner. Great view.
Bockaneer
AG
if at Riverwalk proper, love Boudro's, otherwise have enjoyed some of the newer places at The Pearl - check out Cured, not too fancy but quite nice, tasty food and drinks

and good luck - spent my honeymoon in SA back in 93... stayed at the Emily Morgan overlooking the Alamo from the 12th floor San Jacinto room.
91G 'EM 94GGIES!
p_bubel
If she's not really into fine dining, maybe eat dinner at Mi Tierra (cool spot, just alright food) stroll over to San Fernando Cathedral for the light show, grab a drink at Esquire and then head on down to the Riverwalk.

Marriage Island is at Navarro St and the south section of the Riverwalk bend, IIRC.
A New Hope
Prenup. Best advice I can give you.
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
Fedup said:

Handle is appropriate.
Obi Wan Ginobili
Bockaneer said:

if at Riverwalk proper, love Boudro's, otherwise have enjoyed some of the newer places at The Pearl - check out Cured, not too fancy but quite nice, tasty food and drinks

and good luck - spent my honeymoon in SA back in 93... stayed at the Emily Morgan overlooking the Alamo from the 12th floor San Jacinto room.

The San Jacinto room, huh? Did you take care of business in 18 minutes?
Nobody Knows My Name
AG
Anyone know a photographer that I could have capture the moment Friday night?
Australia_Ag
Following up on this.

Is there to be a wedding?

Or did y'all just enjoy a night on the river walk, less the successful engagement?
Nobody Knows My Name
AG
So I've been meaning to post an update, but she did say yes! We arrived at Hotel Contessa around 7:30 pm that night and I proposed on Marriage Island about an hour later. Long story short, we ended up at Zinc Bistro & Bar right around the corner from the hotel shortly after that to "cool off" and take in the moment. It was perfect for doing just that. We spent the rest of the night doing the boat tour and walking along the Riverwalk popping into a couple bars and checking out all of the holiday lights. All in all, it was a success!
milner79
Tony Franklins Other Shoe said:

Fedup said:

Handle is appropriate.
Speaking of handles, I've always gotten a kick out of yours ... pun unintentional, but it works. Good to know the other shoe is alive and well.
Matsui
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.