Veteran Employment Opportunities in SA

918 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by J_K15
J_K15
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Howdy All,

My family and I are moving to San Antonio from Washington after transitioning from active duty Army service. The wife has a great opportunity already lined up so we are getting pretty set on heading to the area.

Just looking for some good insight on companies in the area that have a history of employing veterans. More specifically, companies that would benefit from the management/leadership experience of a military officer.

Any information is greatly appreciated,

Thanks and Gig'Em!

BT1395
AG
Thx for your service and (early) welcome to SA!

The obvious answers here are USAA, the defense contractors like Boeing, anywhere on one of the multiple bases around the city, etc. All of those are flush with vets and relatively easy to get in the door depending on what you're looking for.

If you care to share more info about what industry and/or type of job you're looking for, then I'm sure several folks on here can chime in with more thoughts.
J_K15
AG
Thank you BT1395! I appreciate the feedback.

I'm primarily looking for sales/consulting, product development/management, and leadership development opportunities in the tech/finance world.
adamsbq06
AG
USAA has a program called VETFit to her transitioning vets into IT jobs
USAFAg
AG
Search USAJOBs for GS opportunities in the area. There are usually quite a few. Don't know your background, so I can't be specific about what is available or how to approach it. However, after you have searched and want advice on how to apply, PM me and I'd be happy to help you. You can also PM me if you just want general information IN RE GS jobs and what to look for.

Things you will need up front for a GS job:

- Federal resume. Needs to go as far back as you need to to show you have the skills they are looking for. Mine went back about 7 years, but have another that covers my entire service career. You can mod it to meet the requirements.
- DD214
- VA letter of any disability rating
- Build a profile on USAJOBs
- Patience and perseverance

It's worth it if you want good pay, progression, stability and benefits. I served 28 years, retired, served 4 more as a GS, retired again and have been rehired...again. I did a year as a contractor prior to becoming a GS. It's not a bad way to build an "in" to start and usually pays more to start, but not as stable.

12thFan/Websider Since 2003
TxAggie99
AG
J_K15,

Welcome home, and thank you and your family for your service! Gig'em!
texan12
Toyota or CPS energy maybe?
ordord02
Rackspace has several sales position open in the for tech minded individuals
J_K15
AG
ordord02 said:

Rackspace has several sales position open in the for tech minded individuals
I have been looking into some opportunities at Rackspace. Nice to meet another Ord on here!

-I-1 '15
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.