Divorce settlement question - w/ kids 18+

1,916 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by AggieArchitect04
TxAger
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I am about to talk to lawyer/mediator to discuss settlement and want to get an idea of what to expect.
Hopefully an uncontested divorce.

Married >20 years, two kids in college.
Plan on splitting my 401k 50/50
Splitting cash 50/50.
Already sold house, gave her the cash.

I make about 2x her salary.
How are the two young adult kids' expenses usually handled? (car insurance, food, etc)
How does this typically work? Is it usually split 50/50? Or do you pay spousal support to help cover kids' expenses?

If you have gone through this, please let me know...Any help is greatly appreciated.

If you prefer to email: txag1989@gmail.com

Thanks and Gig 'em
AccountantAg
AG
If the kids are 18+, I don't think there is any legal obligation to pay one spouse or the other for child support.

AgCWby90CS
AG
If the kids are over 18 and graduated from 12th grade, then no money goes to either spouse for child support.

Of course the two of you can agree to what ever you want
but at this point, I would think you wan't to take care of the kids and you can do that directly with them on your own. No need to be beholden to an agreement of any kind or go thru a 'middleman' and not all the money for the kids go to the kids.
CWby '90
mccjames
AG
The cleaner the break the better. IMHO

They are over 18, the only question is insurance, if you can afford it bite the bullet and pay it until they get jobs. The hassle of splitting bills will wear thin fast.
aggie_fan13
AG
Dad is that you ?
Obi Wan Ginobili
azulAg said:

Dad is that you ?

I don't think he came here for jokes
Seriously77
You better hold on to your money as you will need it on the road ahead.

AggieArchitect04
AG
I think that if they are in college and on one parent's health insurance plan, then the other could need to offer child support in the form of paying for half of the premiums. Every situation is different.

Not to diminish what you're going through but you are incredibly fortunate to be dealing with this with the kids being adults. Still not an easy process.

As far as settling, I suppose it depends on what the situation is and what led to the divorce (and I'm not asking - not my business); however, I would not fold over on things. Why should she get half of your retirement and you not get half of hers? Giving her all the proceeds from the sale of the house - why?

You don't know what lays ahead. Since there is such a disparity in income, she may demand spousal support as part of the terms of the settlement.

Everything from this point forward should be handled as a business decision.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.