BBQ Dinner Caterer

3,070 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Sazerac
Sazerac
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm looking for someone to cater a casual dinner on a private ranch , 60-100 people.

Would like them to cook (or at least finish) on-site, sides, buffet service, provide paper/plasticware, and clean-up.

I'm not from the area, so looking for suggestions. Can be a professional or someone who does it regularly on the side.
Burdizzo
AG
You might check with Conger family that runs Smoke Shack on Broadway. They started as a food trailer that evolved into a restaurant. They still have a food trailer, and pretty sure they cater as well.

BBQ is some of the better BBQ in town
jgh85Ag
AG
I think smoke shack is under rated. Good stuff
Sazerac
AG
Thanks. Looks like the event is 60+ miles away so they have a $2k min order + mileage.

It's still not a terrible deal I guess, but I'll take any other recos that people have.

Doesn't have to be BBQ either...if there is a great food truck that you know caters let me know.
Whitetail
AG
What town is the ranch near? That's what you need to tell us.

Smoke shack has great meat, but meh sides in my opinion.

You're looking at ballpark of $10 a plate for a standard BBQ plate per person. $2k minimum...they better be cooking ribeyes.
Sazerac
AG
Between Bandera and Hondo
jgh85Ag
AG
I agree with that.
Whitetail
AG
cclearman said:

Between Bandera and Hondo
I don't know that area very well. Surely some good catering options in Bandera or Hondo. If you reach into San Antonio, I know B-Daddy's in Helotes has a food truck that they'll bring to your ranch and cook for you. Likely more expensive than an option in Bandera or Hondo. Their stuff is good.
BoozerRed78
AG
Try giving David Goerke a call, he's the one who caters the Monday lunch at Aggie Park. 830-708-1590
Burdizzo
AG
Goerkes are good people.
Sazerac
AG
Thanks, yall.

I've got emails in to
B Daddy's in Helotes
Smoke in the Hills in Boerne

Buzbee's in Bandera doesn't get very good reviews.
Will give Heavy's in Hondo a call - they don't even seem to have a legit website...but reviews seem positive.

If anyone is yeah/nay on any of these let me know...
LCE
AG
Mesquite Shack BBQ. They cater and their brisket is very good. Food truck up and down Bandera road usually.
wadd96
AG
cclearman said:

Thanks, yall.

I've got emails in to
B Daddy's in Helotes

Will give Heavy's in Hondo a call - they don't even seem to have a legit website...but reviews seem positive.

Avoid Heavy's. As an eater of lots of BBQ, they suck. And don't let that Top 50 thing fool you. (Also, this is not just my opinion... it has been validated by many in the BBQ industry...) We don't have any idea how they made the Top 50...
Sazerac
AG
appreciate that! it's too bad as they are so close...
wadd96
AG
Absolutely!

If y'all were closer, I'd have a recommendation or two, but my main guys are out of the Round Rock, Hutto and Killeen area...
Burdizzo
AG
wadd96 said:

cclearman said:

Thanks, yall.

I've got emails in to
B Daddy's in Helotes

Avoid Heavy's. As an eater of lots of BBQ, they suck. And don't let that Top 50 thing fool you. (Also, this is not just my opinion... it has been validated by many in the BBQ industry...) We don't have any idea how they made the Top 50...

I second this. I have been working in Medina county lately and thought Heavy's was pretty Meh. They do a pretty decent Frito Pie, though.
AG
I think Heavys is pretty damn good, I've heard they have pretty good prices in catering.
wadd96
AG
There's an old saying... You get what you pay for...
All the God's, all the Heavens, all the Hells are within you.
AAM02
AG
BoozerRed78 said:

Try giving David Goerke a call, he's the one who caters the Monday lunch at Aggie Park. 830-708-1590
This. Call Goerke.
Sazerac
AG
Can you guys comment on quality of Goerke's brisket? How good is it? Comparable to ______?

Pricing is really good, but he's a one man shop so having trouble coordinating a meeting for me to try it out (especially since I'm in Houston).
hillcountryag86
AG
Buzbee's sold a couple of weeks ago. No idea what new folks are like but don't think they are experienced being new.

I've had Kirby Jones cater some events at my store and he was great. Very good bbq and sides. He owns Meat Market in Bandera and he has a restaurant at The Farm which is only open on weekends. Very good food the times I've been. Super nice guy. Wife an Ag.

210 262-5225
Sazerac
AG
Thanks for that, i will give him a call and stop by next time I'm in town.
AgShaun00
AG
used bdaddy's twice. Good food and prices and minimums were fair. They had a $600 minimum I believe for us.

One guy is always in an aggie hat also.
BoozerRed78
AG
Quote:

Can you guys comment on quality of Goerke's brisket? How good is it? Comparable to ______?

"Very Good" Comparable to what you would find at a BBQ Cookoff, because he competes in them.
aggiebrad94
AG
And keep in mind that you're doing BBQ. It's nothing fancy so you really just need it to not suck for the night to be awesome.
Sazerac
AG
was able to have dinner at Kirby's place The Farm and check out his building in Bandera where he is opening his new place. Very good brisket, jalapeno mac, and sourdough rolls. Waiting on pricing.

Also went and tried Smoke in the Hills out of Boerne. Very good brisket, pulled pork, salad, deserts, and they did great appetizers as an add-on.

Will be choosing between one of them shortly.

Thanks for the help from everyone.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.