Proposed Sick Pay Ordinance

3,337 Views | 29 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by ValleyRatAg
ValleyRatAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Curious as to what your opinions are of the San Antonio's proposed sick pay ordinance. How do you see it affecting your business if you already provide paid time off policy? Here is a link to the proposed ordinance.

Review the Proposed Ordinance

Roger That
BrazosBull
tx1c
AG
Yet another example of people who don't run a business, telling people how to run their business.
Whitetail
AG
tx1c said:

Yet another example of people who don't run a business, telling people how to run their business.
San Frantonio
ValleyRatAg
AG
My feelings as well, we provide full benefits including PTO. I contacted my councilman, for whatever that is worth.
UnderoosAg
AG
F that S!
UnderoosAg
AG
AG has already weighed in.

https://www.bizjournals.com/sanantonio/news/2018/07/09/texas-ags-office-to-sa-dont-approve-mandatory-sick.html

This is right up there with demanding Coke in the water fountains, two hour recess, and pizza for lunch every day.
aduey06
We are all going to be independent contractors sometime in the near future due to all of the regs for a full time employee.
04.arch.ag
AG
Our office is in Alamo Heights so I guess this won't affect me until our rents go up because employers moving to all the smaller municipalities within San Antonio.
SW AG80
AG
Cannot believe what city government in SA has become. All government entities should stay the hell out of private business. Glad we will be moving to the country in 2-3 years and getting out of SA.
Picard
AG
SW AG80 said:

Cannot believe what city government in SA has become. All government entities should stay the hell out of private business. Glad we will be moving to the country in 2-3 years and getting out of SA.

v
SW AG80
AG
It's not just this. The one that really sticks in my craw is Pre K for SA. Can't believe our tax dollars are going to baby sit kids not old enough to go to school. And there are others. The numbers are starting to mount.
O'Doyle Rules
AG
Businesses not only incur costs, but employees do too. Im against the city overregulating, but to set a standard for 1 maybe 2 sick days total per year per employee just isnt that much to ask for. The labor market has been in a race to the bottom for pay and benefits over the last several decades and enough is enough. Alot of businesses already do offer PTO, but its time the slackers catch up . One has to question the viability of a business if you cant even afford to pay an employee for 1-2 days / year due to sickness or death in the family, etc.
SW AG80
AG
I agree businesses should provide that. But Im 100% against government getting into the middle of private business. The slackers should be pushed to do it by not being able to hire quality employees.
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
SW AG80 said:

I agree businesses should provide that. But Im 100% against government getting into the middle of private business. The slackers should be pushed to do it by not being able to hire quality employees.
Exactly.
Emotional Support Cobra
AG
Does it stipulate that qualifying employees must work a certain minimum number of hour per week? I have fewer than 5 employees but even upon delayed implementation, if they are only working, for example, 15 hours per week then this BS.
Whitetail
AG
Apparently voting on it now:

Yes - District 4 - Rey Saldana
Yes - District 5 - Shirley Gonzales
Yes - District 1 - Roberto Trevino

Motion to delay final decision is defeated.

Yes - District 8 - Manny Pelaez
p_bubel
Think I read 80 hours a year qualifies you for paid time off. 2 weeks of work. Good grief.
p_bubel
Welp, it passed. What a shock.

Between this an that idiotic Fireman ballot this session has been a cluster ****.
Whitetail
AG
9-2 vote in favor. Nirenberg voted for it.
slappy
AG
The AG's office already said it was against state law. I smell an injunction coming.
SW AG80
AG
Whitetail said:

9-2 vote in favor. Nirenberg voted for it.
Who voted against it?
Burdizzo
AG
Courage and Perry, as expected.

Perry is an Aggie, btw.

This city council is a damn joke.
SW AG80
AG
This is the future of San Antonio.
FIDO95
AG
This is what we are being told:

If the city council passes the measure, it can be overturned by state legislative and legal action already going after Austin's similar policy.

If the resolution gets pushed to popular vote by labor activists, the legislature will have difficulty "repealing" the "will of the people".

Hence, the stance of several councilmen is that they voted "yes" to make it easier to get rid of later. I'm calling BS. How about just standing up to labor activists and defending small businesses. If our civic leaders don't have the balls to stand up to left leaning activists in Texas, we are doomed to repeat all the failures in California that have those residents flocking here.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
MookieBlaylock
AG
Wait so I have to work 80 hours get sick and get paid
Quit
Work 80 hours get sick get paid quit

Where do I sign up?

80 on 80 off its like being a city employee
O'Doyle Rules
AG
MookieBlaylock said:

Wait so I have to work 80 hours get sick and get paid
Quit
Work 80 hours get sick get paid quit

Where do I sign up?

80 on 80 off its like being a city employee

Quite the exaggeration. What if council passed an ordinance that said an employee that is full time is eligible for 16 hrs of sick pay after 6 months employment....and not payable if the employee quits or is fired. Would you be against that? Sure, sick time is abused by everyone. The time at work is abused by lots and lots of employees just browsing the web (lots and lots here on texags M-F 8 to 5!) Again, if your business margins are so thin that paying a productive employee to take off sick will kill your profit.....then one has to question the viability of your business model in the first place.
p_bubel
Quote:

...then one has to question the viability of your business model in the first place.
Good grief.
mccjames
AG
It is not about 1-2 days of sick leave it is about 2 weeks of sick leave that you have to accumulate. On top of the 2 weeks of regular vacation, the 7 holidays you are now paid to NOT work 27 days. The number of family owned small businesses keeps dwindling and these are the things that will eventually kill them off for good.
ValleyRatAg
AG
They need to stay out of private business. While I agree that a healthy business could support this, they shouldn't be regulated to do so. If a business can't afford it (say a startup) or the owner just doesn't want to they shouldn't have to. People don't have to work for them.

How about we get all of the illegals out of the workforce and see how benefits approve. If the city wants to meddle in something business related, get in the middle of that.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.