Comal river full of grass?

4,135 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by mccjames
sprintermike
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Just took my family for a weekday float down the (usually) nice comal river.
The whole thing was filled with some type of plant clippings... Covering large swaths of the river, the water was much more murky than usual.
I was told that one day a week they clip the vegetation in Landa (pond/Lake) and "release" it into the river.
Anyway to know in advance when this happens?
austinrb10
AG
It just rained for two days straight.
PFG
AG
Not in NB around the Comal. I live a few blocks away from the tube shoot. We got less than a tenth. No run off rain.
dead zip 01
AG
The spring fed pool is closed on Tuesdays, I would assume that is when they cut the grass.
sprintermike
It was a massive amount, probably covering 30% of the water surface. When we finally arrived back home after a trip to the store, I checked webcams of the comal and saw no more of it. Looks like they release it in the morning and then by the afternoon it is gone? We hit the water around 11:30 or 12 and by 3 I couldn't see it on the webcams.
If anyone knows more for certain, I'd love to hear. It was not a fun experience and I love to float the comal, so I don't want to hit this again.
dead zip 01
AG
Was this on a Tuesday? If so that would make sense.
austinrb10
AG
Interesting. We live up the hill off Lakeview and saw a decent rain.
Scud Runner
Unfortunately this grass problem is bad and only going to get worse over the next decade or so. It has basically ruined the Comal River making any sort of recreation unbearable. The Frio River area is really the place you want to visit and/or move to for river activities. Spread the word.
Ragoo
AG
What you are doing here. Well done.
tclub
What's a good area on the frio that's family friendly? I'm lookong for an area that I can sit in or by the water and my small kids can play in it as well. Thx
Builder93
AG
tclub said:

What's a good area on the frio that's family friendly? I'm lookong for an area that I can sit in or by the water and my small kids can play in it as well. Thx
Beckdiesel03
AG
River Bluff cabins on frio. Playground and shallow water and not a lot of traffic. NB sucks
p_bubel
tclub said:

Neals Lodges, if they're old enough for the slide.

https://www.nealslodges.com/
Luke The Drifter
AG
Once every 10 days to two weeks, the grass/seaweed looking stuff has to be cut in Landa Lake (by the park, where the paddle boats are.) TCEQ mandates this...it has something to do with controlling an endangered species of plant. Anyway, they only place for the clippings to go is downstream. Unfortunately for mid-week tubers, the grass affects your float. Doing it on a weekend, when the river is wall-to-wall tubes, would be a nightmare.

But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:31 (NIV)
aglaohfour
AG
If you're keeping track, today was definitely a grass cutting day. We got in at texas tubes around 11am and were floating in grass almost the whole way. Went and had a late lunch and got back in for a second run at 4 and there was almost no grass left. I wish there was a way to know ahead of time.
SquirrellyDan
AG
Screws up my fishing on the Guadalupe, too!
PFG
AG
The city keeps an active presence on their City of NB Facebook page.

I think it would be worth messaging or posting there, and seeing if they can offer any information.
tmaggies
AG
Was told the City has the river grass situation completely resolved on the Comal. Thank goodness because our large group of vacationers just had medical situations from rashes we developed on the Frio.
mccjames
AG
And you believe the city of New Braunfels?

Good luck with that, they have been doing it for years and it floats all the way down stream in giant mats which the ants and spiders love.

Easy come, Easy go
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.