commute from stone oak

2,810 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by LCE
KnightlyGent
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Howdy ags,

I'm a recent grad considering moving to Stone oak. I work at Holt Cat off 410 and WW White. Everyone keeps telling me the traffic would be unbearable, is this true? Only reason i'm looking at Stone oak is because it's a pretty central location for my roomates and I, and Sonterra apartments look pretty damn nice. Thanks!
NastyNate
I lived in apartments off sonterra before I bought a house in north stone oak. You can get on 281 and 1604 pretty easy from there and depending on the way you go, it might take you 30 minutes to get to work. Maybe quicker when school is out during the summer and holidays. It sometimes takes me 30 minutes to get from where I am off 281 north down to Sonterra and 281 but from there it only takes me maybe 25 minutes to get to my office downtown. There is a lot of highway construction all over San Antonio so I'm not sure if you will be impacted on your commute but I think it's definitely worth it to live in a nice area and only have a 30 or so minute commute. Hope this helps.
MookieBlaylock
AG
Live downtown and have a good time

Stone oak is lame as hell for the youngsters
GCRanger
AG
Stone Oak to Holt office is 27 miles. Per Google it's a 27-31 minute commute at 8:20 on a Saturday. No way you are doing this in under 40 during rush hour. I'd live downtown area instead.
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
Yeah, way better off finding something on the north side of downtown. No reason at all for youngs to live in Stone Oak area and fight that traffic. Your roommates would be going counter to traffic then also.
Halconblack
AG
I would find different roommates If not, this is a 45 minute Trip one way at a minimum. I would look in South Town or Midtown.
v/r
CoolaidWade
AG
I live off 281/bulverde road and use to work off 281/hildebrant. Probably about 10 miles less of a commute.

I left home at 8am to be at work at 9am. That worked most of the time but if there is any wreck then you're toast. If I'm going southbound and traffic is backed up past marshal rd then it's a guarantee that I'm late.

That commute is ****ing horrible. It will kill your soul. I'm so glad I don't have to do it anymore. Literally the worse part of my life when I had to do it. And that's not even calculating the highway expansion plans that will make it even worse over the next six years. Prayers for you.

So good luck!
PrestigeWorldwideAg12
I've been commuting from Canyon Springs to ww white for the last 4 years. Not unbearable. I'd leave at 6:00am and it would take me about 25 minutes in the morning and depending when I left to go home it could either be 45 minutes or around an hour.
f2foxes2001
AG
Come down inside 410. No need to waste your life in stone broke.
The Lurker
AG
I'm a big proponent of being outside the loop but even I would say pick something closer to your work. Alamo Heights, Pearl, Southtown. Plus if you need new roomies there are plenty of homeless down there that would appreciate living with you.
agforlife97
AG
Stone Oak also has sucky traffic on the weekend and pretty much anytime. It's definitely one area I'd avoid at all costs.
WorkerBee
hunterntexas
AG
Just the thought of that commute makes me angry.

Of course I live near the Brookhollow Library and work near 281/Nakoma (~3 miles).
Builder93
AG
Stone Oak is a soulless wasteland of tract homes and sameness. Save yourself and find a place in town and spend that extra commute time hanging out in interesting places.
Good Bull Jones 17
AG
Probably lots of hot rich young moms in Stone Oak. But yeah that would be a hell of a commute. I live at Bitters and Blanco, there are some really gold apartments in that area for good prices and it's still fairly central. Not as close to downtown as some of the other suggestions, but sounds like it might work better for the roomies
Picard
AG
WorkerBee said:

Have you considered apartments off I10 outside 1604? I live off I10 by Fair Oaks Ranch and I can make it to 410/87 in 30 minutes leaving no later than 6:45. Seems to be a lot of nice apartments going up in the Dominion/Leon Springs area. A good friend lived in the one in Cresta Bella between Camp Bullis and the Dominion while they were waiting for their house to be completed. The eye candy was amazing at the pool!

This is terrible advice. Even worse than what you're already considering.
aggieSO
Find apartments in the Alamo Heights school district or Monte Vista
Macarthur
I live in Rogers Ranch just outside of Stone Oak, but enjoy it due to where I am. I've got easy access to Bitters, Stone Oak, I10, etc.

However, being young, I would most likely agree with those that say you should get further into town. The Alamo Heights area or Pearl is a great area and would be great for a young adult.
lotsofhp
AG
Macarthur said:

I live in Rogers Ranch just outside of Stone Oak, but enjoy it due to where I am. I've got easy access to Bitters, Stone Oak, I10, etc.

However, being young, I would most likely agree with those that say you should get further into town. The Alamo Heights area or Pearl is a great area and would be great for a young adult.

I recently went into Rogers ranch for the first time. Really nice
LCE
AG
Alamo Height and Pearl area is the worst for young singles. 1604 from 281 to 10.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.