PSA - Construction Careers Academy - Northside ISD in San Antonio

845 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by bam02
HillCountryRetreatAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
If you are in any way connected to the construction industry you MUST investigate the educational programs offered at Constructions Careers Academy; a facility within the Northside Independent School District in San Antonio. I substitute teach at numerous levels of construction career programs at CCA and am impressed with not only the quality of facilities, administrators, and educators but especially the quality of students who have qualified for acceptance into the program. This is not a "basket weaving" curriculum. Each student must have high marks for attendance and behavior in other classes before being accepted into the programs.

I grew up in the "plumb, straight, square" era of construction which is a lost art today in most construction disciplines. Not so at CCA! I have witnessed students using levels and squares to achieve craftsmanship levels not normally seen in today's fast paced world of construction. The disciplines offered at CCA include HVAC, electrical, plumbing, carpentry, and metal work. The programs are designed to allow a student to begin as a sophomore and graduate with certifications based on skill levels attained.

Sophomores begin with the basics and gravitate as seniors working on Tiny Homes built and sold by the students to provide additional funds for the program. Not only is extensive classroom work required along with "hands on" application of the classroom material allowing a student to gain confidence and appreciation of a job well done. I have monitored daily classroom work which encompassed the study and testing of national, state, and city codes, architectural and structural design, proper use of hand operated and power tools in the extensive shop facility. Eventually senior level students participate in the design, rough-in, and finish out of the Tiny Homes built by students and sold to provide additional funds to support the program.

I am passionate about the opportunity available to students to learn the correct methods of construction at CCA. Having been in the HVAC industry from 1967-1985 I am envious of the advantage a student has being part of this program. Just last month several large to medium size construction companies including general contractors Turner Construction Company and Skanska USA Building, Inc., sub-contractors representing HVAC, security systems, and engineering firms presented their company's vision, summer internship opportunities, employment opportunities, and training programs to the students. Many of those representatives were actively seeking interns for paid summer programs. I'll make this Aggie related to mention one general contractor's presenter was a past graduate of CCA and Texas A & M. She is now a construction engineer on one of the larger San Antonio medical facilities. She has applied what she learned at CAA combined with a degree in Construction Management from Texas A & M into a lifetime career.

On May 19, 2018 beginning at 9:00 AM on the Constructions Careers Academy campus at 9411 Military Drive West, San Antonio , TX the students at CCA will be presenting the 2018 Showcase of Tiny Homes. Investigate CCA on Facebook at Construction Careers Academy Parent Partnership CCAPP or on the website at https://nisd.net/cca/. If you are looking for educated and qualified employees, then you owe it to yourself to personally go to the facility and view the quality work the students have completed.
SA68AG
AG
Sounds like a great program and one that needs to be duplicated in other school districts around the country.
TxTarpon
This is a fun event! I go every year.
----------------------------------
Texans make the best songwriters because they are the best liars.-Rodney Crowell

We will never give up our guns Steve, we don't care if there is a mass shooting every day of the week.
-BarronVonAwesome

A man with experience is not at the mercy of another man with an opinion.
SanAntoneAg
AG
The NISD Communications Department couldn't have written a better PSA.
who?mikejones
AG
I got a tour of this place a few years ago and its legit.

Frankly, to add to OP, I could certainly use more people who could frame a wall correctly

Another great place to check out in SA for those interested in construction (or not) is blueprint ministries. They are doing great work in a high need areas of town and could also use a knowledgeable volunteer.
bam02
AG
Very cool. We definitely need to encourage more students to pursue vocations like this. Obviously you can still benefit from college but too many kids get pushed into college and would be much better off spending their time and money starting down a path like this.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.