Need to get a feel for South 410 area for a potential commercial property invesment

1,547 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Burdizzo
CheladaAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm wondering if anyone has any insight or input to the area around south SA near 410, particularly near the A&M campus. Does this area have any potential with growth industrial or commercial wise? Any insight appreciated.
Burdizzo
AG
I expect it to be a growth area, but I also expect it to be slow. Remember UTSA campus at 1604 and I10 was put out there in 1968, and look how long it took for the city to move out there
lotsofhp
AG
Not a lot going on out there currently. Toyota is out there and now A&M. But still seems like a pretty sleepy part of town... But that's how every part of town is before it blows up!
CheladaAg
AG
Thanks all. I would expect there to be some potential, but with all things investment-wise, it's all about timing. I'd hate to see growth take anything more than a few years. Adding more years really changes that rate on return.
Halconblack
AG
I would doubt it takes less than a few years. There is still a lot of space to be had on the south side of town. Most of the businesses right now are focused on getting into buildings in and around downtown. We are a fairly small San Antonio footprint (15 employees) but we just started here two years ago. I have moved us to three different locations and I am about to sign a longer term lease in downtown. I would have never considered even looking out that way. I consider that part of the Loop more Lytle than I do San Antonio. But those are just my two cents.
lotsofhp
AG
I will say that would probably be a good location for people looking to service the Eagle Ford.
Burdizzo
AG
Lots of Eagleford stuff at I 37 and 1604. 410 and Zarzamora, not so much.
lotsofhp
AG
Burdizzo said:

Lots of Eagleford stuff at I 37 and 1604. 410 and Zarzamora, not so much.

I was thinking how it's kind of half way between 35 and 37 which might be good depending on where you're headed that day.
rwtxag83
AG
It depends on what kind of business plans to operate there. As others have said, if you're oil field related stuff, sure. Retail that relies on consumer spending, no way. Low wage demographics and sub par schools in that area.
Greater love hath no man than this....
lotsofhp
AG
rwtxag83 said:

It depends on what kind of business plans to operate there. As others have said, if you're oil field related stuff, sure. Retail that relies on consumer spending, no way. Low wage demographics and sub par schools in that area.
This is definitely true. If the business is depending on the local populations disposable income it might have a tough time.

Industrial would seem to be more fitting for the area.
Beckdiesel03
AG
It's slow. We have a friend that has quite a bit of land. Some went to the school some went to Toyota. The rest has been through several owners and then the banks after the bubble crashed and defaults. It's kinda wierd down there and until they can clean up the ISD () I think it will be slowish. They could have done a lot better IMO during the oil boom if they would have just had some better schools. Instead, a ton of us live north and the dads work south and commute. That's just what we've seen down there-not a professional.
AggieDarlin
AG
It's a great area if you're a fan of meth
aggiejim70
AG
Its kinda been this way since Santa Anna left town.........If sells put it on the north side, if it smells, put it on the south side.
The person that is not willing to fight and die, if need be, for his country has no right to life.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
AG
Beckdiesel03 said:

It's slow. We have a friend that has quite a bit of land. Some went to the school some went to Toyota. The rest has been through several owners and then the banks after the bubble crashed and defaults. It's kinda wierd down there and until they can clean up the ISD () I think it will be slowish. They could have done a lot better IMO during the oil boom if they would have just had some better schools. Instead, a ton of us live north and the dads work south and commute. That's just what we've seen down there-not a professional.
They can't just get better schools down there, the south side of SA has been very poor and very Hispanic for a long time.
Burdizzo
AG
1939 said:

Beckdiesel03 said:

They can't just get better schools down there, the south side of SA has been very poor and very Hispanic for a long time.

The way you get better schools down there is to get a critical mass of people who aren't connected to the old families who have run things (poorly) for generations. But that won't happen because no one wants to move down there because everything bis run poorly. Catch 22
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.