Tell me where to eat!

2,739 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by aggiebrad94
Bryan98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm visiting SA soon with some friends, and I'd love y'all's restaurant suggestions. We love Garcia's on Fredericksburg Road, a great dive where you can get legit brisket tacos. We used to go to Chris Madrid's, but heard a fire has closed it, at least for now. We usually hit The Original once per trip for some decent food but great location since we're staying on the Riverwalk.

We'll be based downtown, but are willing to drive a bit - so where is the best grub? Thanks!
GinaLinetti
AG
I love the burgers at Longhorn cafe. There is one of Boerne stage rd and another off Blanco.
Mash'd at the rim had good burgers as well.
For an excellent breakfast I like Taqueria Datapoint or Pancake Joes
Rosarios is good for dinner
Burleson beer yard always has a food truck
There's a few food threads on here if you want to see more
mike073
AG
Mexican Manhattan and take in the light show on the Cathedral across the plaza.
Gig 'em Aggies!

MookieBlaylock
AG
2M smoke house is where I would go
jgh85Ag
AG
Bucaneros off Bitters. Get a super mixto tostada or the mixto ceviche. Do not order their texmex.
On step 12 of 22 step BAS Anonymous program. Please donate, the struggle is real.
BoozerRed78
AG
Whataburger. There are several around town, I recommend the #1 combo.
Bryan98
AG
BoozerRed78 said:

I'm coming from Houston, not California.

Bryan98
AG
mike073 said:

Mexican Manhattan and take in the light show on the Cathedral across the plaza.
I've seen good and bad reviews of this place. How's the food?

Any suggestions on places to get Mexican breakfast within walking distance of the convention center?
mike073
AG
Mexican Manhattan in over on the West end of the river bend. We eat there probably twice a month. Pretty standard Tex-Mex fare, but portions are large and fresh. Bar area is outstanding. You can eat inside on on the patio overlooking the river.
Gig 'em Aggies!

TX AG 88
AG
La Fogata on Vance Jackson. great Mexican but not exactly your typical tex-mex. I like their Tacos Norteos. Their margaritas are STOUT and GOOD!!!!!! If it's warm enough, sit in one of the outdoor seating areas.
GinaLinetti
AG
Sangria on the burg is also fun
aggie_fan13
AG
Don't go to la fogata mediocre tex mex
AgCWby90CS
AG
Bee's Mexican Restaurant & Bakery on Lockhill Selma just off Blanco Rd.

Very good authentic food.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Bee's+Mexican+Restaurant+%26+Bakery/@29.5235221,-98.5081109,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x865c600cb4516af3:0x86f3da4dfc83afc8!8m2!3d29.5235175!4d-98.5059222
CWby '90
Ag86Hotard109
AG
Title of thread.....at the Y of course!
Bluff Rat
AG
Ag86Hotard109 said:

PLUM LOCO
AG
Bryan98 said:

BoozerRed78 said:

I'm coming from Houston, not California.

Sure, but the ones in SA are better.
jgh85Ag
AG
Ag86Hotard109 said:

The YMCA at tripoint (Saint Marys st) has a coffee/snack bar but it is nothing special.
On step 12 of 22 step BAS Anonymous program. Please donate, the struggle is real.
TX AG 88
AG
azulAg said:

Don't go to la fogata mediocre tex mex

If you go to La Fogata and order cheese enchiladas, you're doing it wrong. I agree it's mediocre Tex-Mex, but their Mexican food is different and good!
aggie_fan13
AG
the whole place is just suck fest central tbh
TX AG 88
AG
i guess we just won't agree on this one.

I also like El Jarro de Arturo but do not like El Buccanero (ironically, with about the same assessment you gave to La Fogata and admittedly because of their poor Tex-Mex...) for points of reference.
GreasenUSA
AG
Definitely El Bucanero if going with friends and you like ceviches.
AlexSAWineguy
AG
J Prime on a Sunday evening for their Prix Fixe dinner. Very good and a little upscale, for a change in SA.
A2
Tecolote
AG
Rosario's and La Fonda are both excellent.
Bryan98
AG
I'm back! Here's what I ate:

Bottling Dept Food Hall - ate at the burger place. The cheeseburger was fine, and the bacon cheese fries were really good.

La Villita Caf - Aggie owned and operated, apparently. The breakfast tacos were fine, although some others really rave about them.

Mexican Manhattan - Since many of y'all mentioned it, my friends and I tried it. With its downtown Riverwalk location I was expecting a happening place where the drinks flow freely. Instead, we stepped back in time to the sixties, in a diner-looking place that served seriously old-school Tex-Mex. Setting my expectations aside, I really dug it. The food was great. No one did any drinking, though, because of the atmosphere.

Garcia's Mexican Food To Go: Love this place. Legit brisket as the centerpiece of a Mexican meal? Fantastic.

Chris Madrid's - Hey, it reopened just in time for my friends and I! In temporary digs, but it's worth it. Good lord those burgers and fries. Amazing crunch to the fries and to the toasted buns. I've been there three times now and I'm a bigger fan now than ever.

2M Smokehouse - Awesome brisket. Very good, unique beef sausage. The macaroni & cheese with chicharrones on top was delicious.

Thanks for all the suggestions!
aggiebrad94
AG
Quote:

Mexican Manhattan - Since many of y'all mentioned it, my friends and I tried it. With its downtown Riverwalk location I was expecting a happening place where the drinks flow freely. Instead, we stepped back in time to the sixties, in a diner-looking place that served seriously old-school Tex-Mex. Setting my expectations aside, I really dug it. The food was great. No one did any drinking, though, because of the atmosphere.
Best description of this place I have read in a while. I love MM's. Just know I'll have to step up my workouts and fiber for a few days after.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.