Tell me about Oak Park/Northwood

2,031 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by SLF11
Pendragon12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Trying to figure out what neighborhoods I want to focus my home searching in, and Northwood seems to keep popping up as a possibility. Seems to strike a balance between decent prices, decent lot sizes, some nicer renovated homes, good school district (for resale purposes, doesn't bother me at all), and a good location.

How's the safety aspect of it? I like to run and walk my dog before and after work, so safety is a concern. What about air traffic - is it bad or not that big of a concern? Close-ish to some fun places to hang out as a late-20s single person?

I'm currently a little north of Stone Oak, and I just want out of my current neighborhood. I can just foresee some not as desired development happening around me in the future once 281 is finished, and I want to bolt before it does. Work is on the northside along 281, so going west just doesn't seem like an option if I want to keep my sanity (I abhor 1604). Hollywood Park is also in the running, and they seem fairly similar in terms of prices, lot sizes, homes, etc. so just trying to narrow it down. I've posted on here before asking for neighborhood advice, but I've finally narrowed it down to "I don't know, everywhere" to hopefully these two areas.
p_bubel
It's one of my favorite neighborhoods in town. Close and convenient with homes on decent sized lots that have been mostly well maintained.

There are no "deals" to be had there anymore. Those days are over. The price difference between AISD and the NEISD sections of the neighborhood isn't nearly as pronounced as it was just 5 years ago. The airtraffic noise I don't/didn't notice but it is there. The further south of 410 the less there is.

AISD is great for resale, but you pay the price to get in.

About 3 of my friends have taken their profits and moved across 410 just behind Macarthur Park in Forest Oak. The prices are much more manageable and the schools are the same save for the elementary school, IIRC. Deals don't pop up much in that neighborhood anymore but the overall prices can still be significantly lower than the equivalent NEISD home in Northwood. The homes were built by the same builders around the same time as Northwood.

My buddy just bought a place on his old block so I ran some quick and dirty numbers for the NEISD section of Northwood that can give you a rough ballpark.

2100 sf, good condition by not really updated runs between $300k-$350k while renovated homes get up to $375k to $400k.

I have noticed in general listings in $400K+ in the 78209 zip are sitting on the market a little longer than it was just a year ago. I don't know if that's just a little breather or an overall market slow down above that price. There's been a ton of flipping going on over the past 10 years.

I can't speak to Hollywood Park directly since I have not had a job up there in over 6 months but it's generally a great neighborhood. Neither have a lot of streetlights so you kind of need to be smart while jogging at night.
p_bubel
There are 2 HEBs within the neighborhood and Central Market wasn't that far. The Pearl is 15 minutes at most and I could be anywhere in town in less than 20. Loop 410 off peak is still the best way to get around town, IMHO. That's what I miss the most about the location.
Pendragon12
AG
A deal would be awesome, but I bought a basically new home 5 years ago and my DIY knowledge is minimal save for painting. So I would probably be contracting out most work...it's not necessary. I just want a good home at a good price for the location. I actually enjoy living in Stone Oak, but I find myself wanting to do more and more closer into town now that I'm through my first few years at work.

I'll take a look at the neighborhood you mentioned too. And noted on street lights. My current subdivision is fairly dark right now, and I've thought about adjusting my schedule before. With traffic it just hasn't been feasible, but the move would reduce my traffic-sitting time so it would make more sense.
PrestigeWorldwideAg12
I always keep my eyes open at Churchill Estates and I'm north of Stone Oak as well. Taxes are just so much more. Where are you up here? We are near Canyon Golf and Overlook
Pendragon12
AG
Marshall rd

I need to drive around some of these neighborhoods more. I like getting perspectives from people who have actually lived there though.
spankfloyd
AG
FWIW I've lived in MacArthur Park for almost 3 years now and love it.
PrestigeWorldwideAg12
Yea I understand. Come on up closer to Borgfeld and get out of the taxes and get into the Smithson Valley zoning
Pendragon12
AG
PrestigeWorldwideAg12 said:

Yea I understand. Come on up closer to Borgfeld and get out of the taxes and get into the Smithson Valley zoning

That's the opposite of getting a shorter drive for when I have Spurs season tickets though.

I've thought about saying screw it and moving farther north, but I think I want to be closer in. Knowing everything is pretty much developed around me is nice. I'm so tired of storage unit places popping up everywhere.
PrestigeWorldwideAg12
Oh I agree to that. So many of them. And hey, what's an extra 5 minute drive? I have to go all the way past ATT center everyday for work. About 27 miles each way
GCRanger
AG
Northwood is awesome. I grew up there and just bought a place on my old street, that P mentioned.

Lots of people out riding bikes, walking, jogging. Wide streets, .25 acre lots or bigger. Lowe's, target, Wally world easily accessible on Austin highway. The Quarry is 5 minutes away. Easy to get downtown, out i-10 East, up 35.

Other than the airplanes it's a very quiet neighborhood with little traffic.

The streets are pretty dark as there aren't lots of street lights. I personally like it that way. It's very safe but has had a few crimes like any neighborhood. There are some crappy apartments closer to Austin highway and Harry wurzbach that need to be torn down.
Emotional Support Cobra
AG
Northwood is awesome. We live nearby in Terrell Heights, which is worth a look too. I love being in my little bubble with everything I need nearby.

I run and bike, and always feel safe, and I often ride my bike through Northwood down Urban Crest to enter the Salado Creek Greenway behind Oakwell Farms.
aggieSO
Pendragon12 said:

Trying to figure out what neighborhoods I want to focus my home searching in, and Northwood seems to keep popping up as a possibility. Seems to strike a balance between decent prices, decent lot sizes, some nicer renovated homes, good school district (for resale purposes, doesn't bother me at all), and a good location.

How's the safety aspect of it? I like to run and walk my dog before and after work, so safety is a concern. What about air traffic - is it bad or not that big of a concern? Close-ish to some fun places to hang out as a late-20s single person?

I'm currently a little north of Stone Oak, and I just want out of my current neighborhood. I can just foresee some not as desired development happening around me in the future once 281 is finished, and I want to bolt before it does. Work is on the northside along 281, so going west just doesn't seem like an option if I want to keep my sanity (I abhor 1604). Hollywood Park is also in the running, and they seem fairly similar in terms of prices, lot sizes, homes, etc. so just trying to narrow it down. I've posted on here before asking for neighborhood advice, but I've finally narrowed it down to "I don't know, everywhere" to hopefully these two areas.
If you don't have kids, go with the Northeast ISD part. Everybody I know lives in the AHISD part but that's cause they have kids. The elementary school is almost as good as Heights, the middle and high schools leave more to be desired, but it is still a very nice area. Many parents that live there use St. Marys Hall too. No worries with walking at night, I live just South in Terrell Heights which is considered a smaller/poorer version of Northwood and I walk at night myself, even with the proximity to Austin Hwy which has a bit of a reputation at night. The area east of Oak Park by Country Lane is probably the nicest part of the whole neighborhood. Rick Riordan the writer used to and may still live on Tophill. LMK if you have anymore questions, lived in the area all my life.
aggieSO
Also may try to look into Oakwell Farms and Bel Meade
aggieSO
>There are some crappy apartments closer to Austin highway and Harry wurzbach that need to be torn down.

Start with Rainbow Road and the ones at Austin Hwy and Vandiver (possibly the same apartments)
SLF11
AG
Originally started my search for a home in the Oak Park/Northwood area and found that it was slightly out of my price range - ended up shifting to Crownhill Park, Shearer Hills and Olmos Park.

Any thoughts on trends in these neighborhoods? looking for a starter home that i could possibly work on and then upgrade in 2-4 years.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.