Relocating to SA

3,502 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Ulrich
adamsbq06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Howdy.
I have been offered a position with one of the largest employers in SA and thus I am relocating my family.

I grew up in San Antonio (Madison HS) but I really haven't paid attention to the growth of the city as well as trends. I am looking for someone who can help us find a home.

We'd like to stay in Bulverde/Spring Branch as my brother is in Spring Branch and my Inlaws are in Dripping Springs.

I will be commuting to I10/Fredricksburg Rd.

Any recs for Realestate brokers?
GinaLinetti
AG
There are a few but holy hell that will be a ****ty commute. Especially when they tear up 281 soon. Welcome to the hood though
adamsbq06
AG
Coming from Houston... I think I will be fine with the traffic. I drove from my Brothers house in SB to Campus last week during rush hour it was much better in comparison to what I have been dealing with the last 10 years in Houston...
Roger That
AG
Keep in mind summer traffic is NOT indicative of normal traffic. It'll suck.
Obi Wan Ginobili
BBatt2006 said:

Coming from Houston... I think I will be fine with the traffic. I drove from my Brothers house in SB to Campus last week during rush hour it was much better in comparison to what I have been dealing with the last 10 years in Houston...

That's summer traffic. You might think it's not a big difference, but it is. A big difference. School starts next week. Try it again and see how you like it.

You also haven't factored in how people drive here. It's different than in Houston. Slow and steady is the theme here for some reason. Think about what it's like when someone drives 10 MPH under the limit in the fast lane in Houston. Now slow it down 10 more MPH and add 15 cars doing the same thing.

Can we interest you in the Fair Oaks/Boerne area? The commute from there to USAA is a straight shot down I-10, and a scenic cruise down 46 to get to the Bulverde area.
Kashchei
AG
Sorry, we're full. Go back to Houston.
Picard
AG
TImberwood Park. You can get to/from USAA via 1604 or completely on surface streets. And you're on the edge of Bulverde too.

88planoAg
AG
I used to recommend Boerne before anywhere else, but the schools - especially south - are very crowded. Depending on the ages of kids, this won't be fixed for a few years either. Best bet with Boerne schools right now might be in the north side where they feed into BMSN and Boerne HS. (both my kids are in south schools)
GinaLinetti
AG
Trust me. I know Houston traffic is balls. And the traffic here is a zillion times better in 99% of the city. 281 north is the one area I'd say hell no to. Once they get closer to completion of the construction maybe but I'm betting an hour + commute to get to 1604 south and the same north for the foreseeable future once they tear it up. I'd second what the guys said about doing a test drive in and out at the time you will be commuting next week or the week after. North side doesn't start til the 28th so even next week may not be a true picture. Spring branch is beautiful I'm just afraid I'd go homicidal
adamsbq06
AG
Good points. We have lived on 290 for about 6 years so know all to well about what happens to a congested area when you literally blow it up. We have expanded our search to include Fair Oaks and Boerne as well
F4GIB71
I live near Smithson Valley, essentially Bulverde/Spring Branch. I dread the next three years with construction in 281. There are currently 13 traffic lights from 46 to 1604. Should be great when done though. As bad as it will be, I can't imagine it being as bad as 290 in Houston. If you are going to USAA, you might look at 46 to Bergheim, through Fair Oaks to I-10. Beautiful drive and less traffic that 281. I just looked at my map app. Shows 49 minutes from my house vs 42 if you go 281-1604-10. That is at 2100 on Thursday night. I'd drive 7 minutes longer rather than content with all the lights.
88planoAg
AG
F4GIB71 said:

I live near Smithson Valley, essentially Bulverde/Spring Branch. I dread the next three years with construction in 281. There are currently 13 traffic lights from 46 to 1604. Should be great when done though. As bad as it will be, I can't imagine it being as bad as 290 in Houston. If you are going to USAA, you might look at 46 to Bergheim, through Fair Oaks to I-10. Beautiful drive and less traffic that 281. I just looked at my map app. Shows 49 minutes from my house vs 42 if you go 281-1604-10. That is at 2100 on Thursday night. I'd drive 7 minutes longer rather than content with all the lights.
That drive is a nice one. But lots of school zones on 46, and some construction around Bergheim on 46 right now. Wonder how much the time would change based on time of day.
F4GIB71
You are right about the school zones on 46 through Bulverde. I am in industrial sales so can somewhat plan around school rush hours. From SV I use my app. Depending on where I'm going, if 3009 through Garden Ridge to Schertz or 46 through Bergheim is even close to the 281 option, I will avoid 281
UnderoosAg
AG
Good friend of mine lives at 529 and 6 in Houston, not far from 290. He works downtown.

I live at 1604 and Braun and work right next to North Star Mall.

My commute takes longer in the morning. He wins in the afternoon.

Houston is 30lbs of **** in a 20lb sack. SA may only be 20lbs of ****, but we have a 10lb sack. Don't let the Houston is bigger/worse stereotype fool you. SA can F up traffic with the best of them.
The Lurker
AG
Looks no further, perfect house for you here: http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/14911-Dancers-Image_San-Antonio_TX_78248_M78741-75100#photo0

You should offer a big premium to those very kind homeowners.
Macarthur
BBatt2006 said:

Good points. We have lived on 290 for about 6 years so know all to well about what happens to a congested area when you literally blow it up. We have expanded our search to include Fair Oaks and Boerne as well
Think about Rogers Ranch. I like it because it's got quick access to 281 or I10 and it's just outside of Stone Oak.

Boerne is changing rapidly and not in a good way.
valtosca
AG
Sent you a PM. I would love to help you find your next home. Whether it's "The Lurker's" which is my listing or another home.
AgsMyDude
AG
Picard said:

TImberwood Park. You can get to/from USAA via 1604 or completely on surface streets. And you're on the edge of Bulverde too.

We're here too and love it. Excellent community. The commute isn't nearly as bad as some other are mentioning.,
Whitetail
AG
Not sure I'd put Rogers Ranch in the "its got quick access to everything" category. Quite the contrary. Nice neighborhood though.
Macarthur
Whitetail said:

Not sure I'd put Rogers Ranch in the "its got quick access to everything" category. Quite the contrary. Nice neighborhood though.
Well, I live there and think it's good access.

281 and I10 are not good so It's relative, but if you are going to be anywhere around 1604, it's going to be a pain. I work in Stone Oak and find it pretty easy to get to work.
TXAggie4Christ
AG
Howdy BBatt,

Was trying to stay off TexAgs during FB season but couldn't help myself.

If you haven't moved to SA yet, I'd be happy to help. Realtor in Schertz on the NE side and Buyer's Rep is free.
Better yet, I'd gift you at least $500 at closing to help with closing costs.

I'm thinking I'm a few weeks late to the party, but if not, you can message me or get my cell at BuySellSanAntonioHomes.com

Aggie Class of '96 and Daughter is Aggie Class of '13.

God Bless & Gig Em

CD
PrestigeWorldwideAg12
I drive from WW White / 410 area to Borgfeld everyday during rush hour and can make it home in roughly 50 minutes on average (29 miles) and going into work (6am) I can make it in 25 minutes. Traffic is terrible here and people drive like they have no purpose in life most of the time. No puffery needed on the time it takes.
Producers_96
AG
PrestigeWorldwideAg12 said:

Traffic is terrible here and people drive like they have no purpose in life most of the time. No puffery needed on the time it takes.
I've often said that the average San Antonian has no future, and they definitely drive like they're not in a hurry to get there.
PrestigeWorldwideAg12
Producers_96 said:

PrestigeWorldwideAg12 said:

Traffic is terrible here and people drive like they have no purpose in life most of the time. No puffery needed on the time it takes.
I've often said that the average San Antonian has no future, and they definitely drive like they're not in a hurry to get there.

I wish people would drive here like they do in Dallas on the Tollway. Would be less stress
Kramer
AG
I live in Spring Branch and I'm assuming your going to USAA as do I.

The commute is about 1 hr 15 mins. Most of it in San Antonio. You can get there a number of ways. 281 past Bulverde Rd is NOT a way I EVER go. Borgfeld, 46 to 10, Blanco rd to huebner. All about the same.

During the summer, the commute drops to a little under an hour.

What else would you like to know?
Whens lunch
AG
1604 westbound at NW Military turns to crap even at off hours. I haven't figured out why traffic comes to a complete stop and then improves approaching I10.

I can understand it when I can see slow moving trucks in the vicinity of the quarries, but traffic there can back up there with no trucks in sight.
bam02
AG
Kramer said:

I live in Spring Branch and I'm assuming your going to USAA as do I.

The commute is about 1 hr 15 mins. Most of it in San Antonio.

Holy hell! You do that every day???
Roger That
AG
Whens lunch said:

1604 westbound at NW Military turns to crap even at off hours. I haven't figured out why traffic comes to a complete stop and then improves approaching I10.

I can understand it when I can see slow moving trucks in the vicinity of the quarries, but traffic there can back up there with no trucks in sight.

There's a little hill and a curve... And then some folks merging just ahead of that. Combine that with ****ty drivers and you get everyone slamming on their brakes.
Ulrich
Whens lunch said:

I haven't decided which is more frustrating: 281 because the dip****s who thought traffic lights on a highway were a good idea aren't there to scream at, or I10 because the dip****s who slow down for no good reason are there to scream at.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.