Lasik Recommendations

2,348 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by F4GIB71
wrightman1210
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Live on the upper north side near bulverde.

Looking for recommendations on Lasik Surgery. Any recommendations in the greater SA area will be appreciated.

Thanks,

AW
agdoc2001
AG
Avoid Manrique like the plague. I spend a lot of time fixing his screw ups. In San Antonio, I would use Jason Burns at MCOA. Full disclosure, I used to work there but do not any longer and have no financial ties.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
F4GIB71
We are giving our son LASIK as his college graduation gift. Based on recommendations from optometrist, we have pre-screen appointment with Dr Parkhurst at Parkhurst Nuvision next Monday. Credentials and background are very impressive. I can post an update after our visit. Would probably schedule the surgery the following week..
russaggie
AG
Dr Tommy Stark at Ultravision is great. I and several people I know have used him all with great results. I highly recommend him. He's located near I-10/1604.
AgShaun00
AG
if you do a search, you will see Stark has a ton of people that went to him and like him. I am one of them.
F4GIB71
Cannot speak more highly for Dr Greg Parkhurst of Parkhurst Nuvision. Our son went in last week at 20/400 and was 20/15 and 20/20 next day. Today was one week followup and doing great. He wore contacts but his glasses were missing a side piece. He had to be out of this contacts pre-op for several days. After his prescreening exam, one of the optometrists did a full exam for glasses. We walked out of the office at 1800. The next day at 1300, I received an email that his glasses would be ready for pickup in two hours. They made glasses in less than 24 hours and only charged $50. After the Lasik surgery, we just donated them back to the Lions Club through them.

My wife had Refractive Lens Exchange yesterday from Dr Parkhurst. She went in 20/600 (couldn't see the big E) and has worn glasses since she was 5. Today she was 20/20 distance and 20/30 reading after only one day. Should continue to improve over next month. None of the typical but temporary side effects like light halos. She couldn't be more excited.

Everything about this practice is first class, professional, and welcoming from reception staff to technicians to Dr Parkhurst himself. Spent all the time we wanted (wife is nurse practitioner so asked LOTS of questions). Dr Parkhurst spent several years (eight?) as an Army doctor performing thousands of vision correction procedures on servicemen. They give a $500 "heroes" discount for anyone military or veteran.

They are located a couple of blocks from Wurzbach @ I10 not far from USAA. They offer a 24 month 0% interest plan so am using their money.
brew82
I'm 51 years old, been wearing glasses or contacts since I was a youth. Is 50+ too old to have lasik done? Worth even looking into?
F4GIB71
I would consult Dr Parkhurst or another vision correction opthomologist. When we did the screening for both my son and my wife, he described the "three milestones of vision". In the 18-45 ages, the treatments are Lasik, Visian ICL, and PRK. For the over 40, treatments are Blended Vision Lasik, Corneal Inlay Procedure, and Reactive Lens Exchange (what my 59 year old wife had done). Over 55, cataracts can be a problem. Treatments are Laser Cataaract Surgery and Advanced Lens Options. Our son at 24 was a candidate for Lasik or PRK. We selected Lasik in his case. My wife has never been a candidate for Lasik but was told by our eye doctor in Houston, that as cataracts developed, there were lens replacement options. When I mentioned that at our son's screening, the doctor said she did not have to wait until cataracts developed. She opted for the Refractive Lens Exchange.

Any of these surgeries are essentially elective until a medical condition such as cataracts develops. At that point, insurance or Medicare will cover. As I understand, they will only cover single vision correction, i.e., distance only. We chose multifocal lens that correct near, mid range, and distance. This will also preclude an future possibility of cataracts.

I am just relating what I learned these last two weeks. Dr Parkhurst (and I'm sure most good eye correction surgeons) offer free screening to see if you're a candidate and for which procedure. I have no connection to this practice other than being so pleased with the outcome for both wife and son. Only reason I looked into them to begin with was the high recommendation from an optometrist in New Braunfels.

Good luck.
brew82
Thanks for the reply.
agdoc2001
AG
brew82 said:

I'm 51 years old, been wearing glasses or contacts since I was a youth. Is 50+ too old to have lasik done? Worth even looking into?

Nope. Refractive lens exchange or if you wait a few more years - just plain old cataract surgery will get you the same result.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
jgh85Ag
AG
I am 54 and had my annual check up with my ophthalmologist last month. No luck with cataracts. I am 20/600 and 20/400. What chart? maybe next year.
agdoc2001
AG
jgh85Ag said:

I am 54 and had my annual check up with my ophthalmologist last month. No luck with cataracts. I am 20/600 and 20/400. What chart? maybe next year.

You don't have to have big cataracts to get them taken out. You could still have surgery, only difference is who pays for it - you or your insurance company.
Hey Nav
AG
He's in Austin, but here's my plug for Dr Steven Dell.

I had LASIK 18 years ago in SA and had some not-so-desirable outcomes. The surgeon accomplished a "fix" 6 months later. Things got worse. This was a Dr with a great reputation. Maybe just bad luck. Pretty much loss my ability to drive after dark.

Went to Dr Stark later but he wasn't able to help.

Finally found Dr Dell in 2012. He fixed things with Advanced Surface Ablation. One eye in 2012. The other eye in 2013. It has been a huge huge quality of life improvement.

Dr Dell's staff are all top notch, in my opinion.
agdoc2001
AG
Hey Nav said:

He's in Austin, but here's my plug for Dr Steven Dell.

I had LASIK 18 years ago in SA and had some not-so-desirable outcomes. The surgeon accomplished a "fix" 6 months later. Things got worse. This was a Dr with a great reputation. Maybe just bad luck. Pretty much loss my ability to drive after dark.

Went to Dr Stark later but he wasn't able to help.

Finally found Dr Dell in 2012. He fixed things with Advanced Surface Ablation. One eye in 2012. The other eye in 2013. It has been a huge huge quality of life improvement.

Dr Dell's staff are all top notch, in my opinion.
I've inherited several of Dell's patients who came to me because Dell refused to see them post-operatively.
Hey Nav
AG
Hmm. Interesting. I haven't had this problem.

But come to think of it, my annuals since the ASA have been with Dr Cunningham OD. I haven't had a need to see Dr Dell.
chewy03
AG
Dr. Parkhurst, I had Lasik done back in February of this year. Everything was first class and I never had any issues with getting my questions answered by him or the optometrist there.
F4GIB71
Update on my wife's Refractive Lens Exchange surgery with Dr. Parkhurst. Today was two month follow up. She was 20-15 both eyes distance from 20-600. Her implants were multifocal. Mid range is fine. She had a little issue with near vision but last week he did a laser procedure that cleared up some lens opacity (common after RLE). She sees near now as well. We couldn't be more pleased with the results. Our son is 20-15 and 20-20 from 20-400 after his LASIK three months ago.

Finally, I recently found out that I have cataracts. Was excited that I'd be next. After all the mapping tests, Dr. Parkhurst advised against any surgery at this time. He said he did not want to do anything unless he was confident that he could improve my vision and certainly did not want to take a chance of making it worse. This further reinforced my view of his integrity. Clearly this is not a LASIK mill.
OldArmy71
AG
Glad to hear the good news in the update!
F4GIB71
Trip, what do I need to do to get you to come to one of our monthly '71 lunches?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.