Master planned communities along I-10 W

2,120 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by BTA2014
BTA2014
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Moving to the area in June. We really like the strip along I-10 W between 1604 and Boerne. Does anyone have recommendations for communities I should look at along this strip including the Boerne area. Budget is 300k and would love a larger backyard.
AggieDarlin
AG
I love living along parking lots, too
BTA2014
AG
Coming from Houston, that stretch is a dream compared to what I currently deal with on a daily basis. However, I would take other suggestions on areas as well. I will be working near La Canterra and would love a 30 min or less commute.
AggieDarlin
AG
OilFieldIRI
S
Don't do it...

One fender bender anywhere on I-10 will stop traffic for 10 miles. I have friends who live out that way and they tell me it's getting way to congested.
Good luck and welcome to SA
TX AG 88
AG
Helotes
UnderoosAg
AG
BTA2014 said:

Coming from Houston, that stretch is a dream compared to what I currently deal with on a daily basis. However, I would take other suggestions on areas as well. I will be working near La Canterra and would love a 30 min or less commute.
Less sucky is better than more sucky, but it's still sucky. I-10 inbound from Boerne is sucky, and will only get worse in the next few years. A good part of it is currently all torn to hell, and once done, will get capacity to probably where it should have been five years ago.

Burdizzo
AG
The way txdot is goin to increase capacity is by adding a managed (toll) lane to the inside.
88planoAg
AG
San Antonio is annexing everything that isn't already Incorporated all along there, btw.

BlackLab
AG
Checkout Leon Springs area.
SanAntoneAg
AG
Driving back home from deer camp today (Sunday) at 3 p.m. and folks are braking through the construction south of Fair Oaks the traffic came to a complete stop several times between Leon Springs and The Rim. For no damn reason.

Inbound and outbound I-10 between 1604 and Boerne is completely obsolete. I can't fathom driving that ***** daily during rush hours.

Edit: braking not breaking
BTA2014
AG
Thanks for the reply. Definitely something to consider. Does anyone have thoughts on Helotes, Alamo Ranch, or Northwest Park areas? How would the drive on 1604 be going east towards I-10 towards La Canterra?
BT1395
AG
I live in the Leon Springs area right in the middle of the area you are considering. I hate traffic as much as the next person, but I honestly don't think it should dissuade anyone from moving here. If you consider Helotes, then you've got to deal with 1604 and Bandera. If you do something in Stone Oak, then you've got 281 (and likely 1604 as well) to deal with. Point being, the infrastructure is woefully underbuilt here due to the fact that our tax base can't support the population, but it's nowhere near as bad as Houston or Dallas or Austin.

I work downtown and it takes me between 25-30 minutes to get into work from home and about 30-35 to get home in the afternoons. Cut that in half if you'll be working around the La Cantera area.
88planoAg
AG
To add to the traffic discussion - there is major construction between 1604 and Boerne, which should be ending in the next couple of years. Traffic will hopefully be better after that.
PLUM LOCO
AG
Quote:

Don't do it...

One fender bender anywhere on I-10 will stop traffic for 10 miles. I have friends who live out that way and they tell me it's getting way to congested.
You don't even need a wreck to cause this to happen.
BTA2014
AG
Thanks for the reply. As I mentioned before I am coming from a 50 min commute in Houston. So the thought of a 20 min commute sounds amazing to me. Overall would you recommend the Leon Spring area?
BoozerRed78
AG
Leon Springs/Fair Oaks Ranch
88planoAg
AG
Do you have kids?

Fair Oaks is in Boerne isd, LS is in northside. Fair Oaks is its own little 'town' so cannot be annexed. Most of the rest of that corridor is in the middle of an annexation controversy. I don't know the details of Leon Springs and the annexation.
BTA2014
AG
No kids. But wife is a teacher and kids are coming soon. Is there a major difference between the two school districts?
88planoAg
AG
BISD is very good. Northside is huge - close to 100k kids total. So it matters where in Northside you are talking about. I think the LS area has good schools, but I don't know any details. As far as working, BISD is hard to get into but the teachers seem satisfied; not too much turnover.
f2foxes2001
AG
Boerne has been ruined and is now overcrowded. Traffic out 10 is hell. Northside ISD is maxed as well. I would recommend Shavano park, Hollywood park or castle hills. You get your email own pd, fire and email, but no traffic hell you get by living with the cargo shorts crowd in the burbs.
Macarthur
f2foxes2001 said:

Boerne has been ruined and is now overcrowded. Traffic out 10 is hell. Northside ISD is maxed as well. I would recommend Shavano park, Hollywood park or castle hills. You get your email own pd, fire and email, but no traffic hell you get by living with the cargo shorts crowd in the burbs.

This is sound advise and parts of Stone Oak are not too bad. I live in Rogers Ranch and it's not too bad.

That 300k is going to be a problem in some of these areas, but not impossible.
UnderoosAg
AG
BTA2014 said:

Thanks for the reply. Definitely something to consider. Does anyone have thoughts on Helotes, Alamo Ranch, or Northwest Park areas? How would the drive on 1604 be going east towards I-10 towards La Canterra?

Bandera to Babcock along 1604 headed to I-10 is a parking lot every morning from about 645-815am, then about 445-645pm going back the other way.
UnderoosAg
AG
BT1395 said:

I work downtown and it takes me between 25-30 minutes to get into work from home and about 30-35 to get home in the afternoons. Cut that in half if you'll be working around the La Cantera area.

What time do you go in and leave?
BT1395
AG
Leave Leon Springs at 7:40 and head home (leave downtown) around 5:00ish.
BTA2014
AG
How bad would 1604 be going towards I-10 from rogers ranch or stone oak? Assuming I leave around 6:30 am and come home around 4:30pm
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.