Living in New Braunfels

2,887 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by James Walker `02
thriller03
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Might have an opportunity to relocate to the New Braunfels area in the next few months. Was hoping I could post a few questions and get some responses from those who are there or familiar with it regarding life in the area. Many thanks ahead of time for any responses. Just trying to get a feel for the area, as this just came up and I nothing about living in that area and don't know too many folks in the area right now.

• In general, how is it to live in New Braunfels?
  • Would you recommend the area?
  • What did you like?
  • What didn't you like?
  • For work, I'd be traveling to the Schertz area near 3009. How is traffic on 35 heading that direction and then home in the afternoon?
  • How is life in the summer when the weekenders come around? Annoying, or generally non-disruptive?
  • How are the schools? NBISD or CISD?
  • Where around town do people live? (Which side of 35, particular neighborhoods, etc?)
  • This move would likely be fairly permanent barring unforeseen circumstances...where are new or newer homes at?
  • How is cost of living? Cost of housing?
  • What is there to do? (I can answer some of this, just seeing what other folks say.)
  • My wife and I are mid 30's, no kids yet but trying and planning. Is there an area better for young families?
  • Church is important to us...generally speaking we are Church of Christ, but have gone non-denominational as well at times. Anybody have recommendations?
  • In particular, anybody familiar with New Braunfels Church of Christ? How active is it? What is the demographic?
  • How does retail break down, i.e., smaller mom/pop shops versus larger dept stores and grocers?
  • Is there an area between San Antonio and New Braunfels that is better? Selma, Schertz, etc?
Beckdiesel03
AG
It's a great place to live and that commute won't be bad at all unless there is an accident on 35. We have lived here for 14 years and enjoyed it without kids and now with kids we like it more. So close to both SA and Austin. Stay on the west side of 35 and both districts are excellent just need to pay attention the particular elementarys your zoned too. All the things I wanted NB to have in my earlier years we now have and I don't use and now I wish we had less so people would quit moving here . The summer traffic sucks but you can avoid it-we just happen to live close to the rivers and schliterbahn so it can be a pain.
BurnetAg
Very interested in in the answers as well as we are moving in June. I keep trying to find a house on the west side of I35 but just have been disappointed in them. We found one in Southbank that might be the one but too soon to tell.
thriller03
AG
You with an agent or looking online? I haven't seen a ton yet in my limited looking online.
BurnetAg
We have an agent but I'm also looking online at zillow.com or realtor.com.
bbry81
Be careful in south bank and all that side of town when it comes to foundations. When we lived off walnut over there every house in our neighborhood either had it fixed or needed it fixed. Our foundation guy told us even the brand new subdivisions were having them fixed before the houses were even done.
Tursiops93
AG
I live just south of NB in Schertz and we love it. We are in Comal county and the schools are great! I am 5 minutes from NB and 10 minutes from 1604 (The Forum). A TON of new housing going up in this area. Traffic isn't bad going North on 35, but South gets heavy as you get closer to SA.
Vernada
AG
Quote:

• In general, how is it to live in New Braunfels?

It's pretty great. We have quite a bit of family here. We had been trying to relocate to NB (from houston) for years. The O&G downturn finally gave us the kick in the pants to get it done. When I lost my job we really didn't have an excuse not to move.

Quote:

• Would you recommend the area?

Personally, I would recommend 'old' NB if you can find a house. We got pretty lucky and fell into a house that is right next to both rivers. All of my family lives inside the loop so the furthest we have to drive is about 2.5 miles to visit one of them.

Quote:

• What didn't you like?

Not too much. It can get pretty crowded on the summer weekends and would avoid or bypass certain areas.

Quote:

• For work, I'd be traveling to the Schertz area near 3009. How is traffic on 35 heading that direction and then home in the afternoon?

That won't be bad. The only thing that might be a pain is if you end up in a house somewhere west of town off of 46 or something. But the 35 part should be pretty easy.

Quote:

• How is life in the summer when the weekenders come around? Annoying, or generally non-disruptive?

Like I said above, you figure out what areas to avoid or alternate routes. Or, time things differently. Want to go to the library on Saturday? Better get it done before noon.

Quote:

• How are the schools? NBISD or CISD?

We are currently at private school.

Quote:

• Where around town do people live? (Which side of 35, particular neighborhoods, etc?)

I would suggest you stay west... but the closer to 35 you can stay, the easier your commute will be.

Quote:

• How is cost of living? Cost of housing?

We paid around $190/ sq ft

Quote:

• My wife and I are mid 30's, no kids yet but trying and planning. Is there an area better for young families?

The Children's museum is nice. Landa Park is great. The Library is really nice. There are some other good parks around. But everything is really close.

Quote:

• Church is important to us...generally speaking we are Church of Christ, but have gone non-denominational as well at times. Anybody have recommendations?
  • In particular, anybody familiar with New Braunfels Church of Christ? How active is it? What is the demographic?

Can't help with this.

Quote:

• How does retail break down, i.e., smaller mom/pop shops versus larger dept stores and grocers?

Pretty much everything you would need. Both mom/pop and big name. You'll grocery shop at HEB. We hit Arlans when we don't need a lot.

thriller03
AG
I appreciate everybody's responses and insight.

My wife and I ultimately decided it's not the best opportunity for our family right now, so we are staying put. Thanks again.
msaggie98
AG
You peaked my interest with your private school comment. We are planning to move from B/CS to the NB area this summer. Our kiddos are at Brazos Christian now so we'd like to continue on the private school path. Which private school are you guys attending?

Vernada
AG
msaggie98 said:

You peaked my interest with your private school comment. We are planning to move from B/CS to the NB area this summer. Our kiddos are at Brazos Christian now so we'd like to continue on the private school path. Which private school are you guys attending?

I did have the school name but decided that's probably not great info to have on a public board given how small the schools are.

There's a Lutheran and a Catholic school in town.

If you have any specific questions I'd be glad to answer via email

vernada1999 at g mail
AgPT06
AG
Sts Peter and Paul Catholic is 100+yrs old and the most established school. New Braunfels Christian Academy is well respected and may be a larger school (not positive on that). Cross Lutheran is the smallest and newest but growing.
PFG
AG
I would't move here. Too many people. Summer traffic. Ewww. Stay away.
msaggie98
AG
Thanks for this info...we have been in contact with NBCA and it seems the most similar to our current school. But we do intend to check them all out.
End Of Message
AG
msaggie98 said:

New Braunfels Christian
mtony77
AG
River Place and River Forest probably two of the best neighborhoods not in old NB. Close to 35, Gruene, and river access.
Aggie_3
Yes stop moving here I here crime rate has skyrocketed
msaggie98
AG
Just saw your reply...do you have kids there?
brotheraggie
Beckdiesel03 said:

It's a great place to live and that commute won't be bad at all unless there is an accident on 35. We have lived here for 14 years and enjoyed it without kids and now with kids we like it more. So close to both SA and Austin. Stay on the west side of 35 and both districts are excellent just need to pay attention the particular elementarys your zoned too. All the things I wanted NB to have in my earlier years we now have and I don't use and now I wish we had less so people would quit moving here . The summer traffic sucks but you can avoid it-we just happen to live close to the rivers and schliterbahn so it can be a pain.
brotheraggie
brotheraggie
James Walker `02
AG
If you haven't found a realtor yet you need to talk to my wife Jordan Lippe Walker class of 02. She is a Broker and a great agent. If I do say so myself.
www.lakemcqueeney.com
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.