Nice Restaurant for Engagement

5,163 Views | 40 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by brotheraggie
GT_Aggie2015
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Hi all. I'm helping a buddy with his engagement and he wants to have dinner the night of somewhere downtown or along the Riverwalk followed by a carriage ride. Any suggestions? Keep it decently priced and no preference on food. Just not sushi...
aggie_fan13
AG
Boudros, or just go find something at the Pearl
p_bubel
The Fig Tree
who?mikejones
AG
Watch out for this guy:

GT_Aggie2015
AG
Thanks for the suggestions. I sent him the menus and he likes the recommendations but his gf would probably not. As he put it, "she's basic." No rule #1 btw.
p_bubel
While I would't really call it "romantic" the menu and food at Las Canarias is worth a look.

https://www.omnihotels.com/hotels/san-antonio-la-mansion-del-rio/dining/las-canarias
Nick Papageorgio
AG
Paesano's on the Riverwalk is always a good choice.
Nick Papageorgio
AG
Bohanan's is the best restaurant downtown but it's not "decently priced."
aggie_fan13
AG
Paesanos , where every 16 year old in San Antonio goes to have their birthday dinner because they think they're adults
Whitetail
AG
Grey moss inn.
Obi Wan Ginobili
If it's the dinner leading up to popping the question, Bohanan's isn't THAT expensive, assuming you can lay off the overpriced alcohol. Throw in a couple bottles of wine and dessert and that's when the bill gets scary.

If he drops $50-80 dollars on a steak for her and she doesn't say yes, that will be a much cheaper lesson in love than a divorce a year later.
GT_Aggie2015
AG
Again, thank you all for the suggestions. These are really good. And by decently priced I meant nothing where the total bill comes out to $200+ for the night. His gf is going to without a doubt say yes according to sources he says so he just wants to make it memorable with a carriage ride and all that jazz.
SA Texas Ag
AG
Bella on the River a quaint romantic restaurant on the river try the eggplant appetizer wine and beer only. consistently ranks high on the best restaurants in the city. Bohanan's they can make it right for a special occasion but at the high end in price.
p_bubel
Instead of the carriage ride, maybe combine the dinner and ride into one:

http://sanantoniodinnercruises.com/dinner-cruise/
AccountantAg
AG
GT_Aggie2015 said:

Again, thank you all for the suggestions. These are really good. And by decently priced I meant nothing where the total bill comes out to $200+ for the night. His gf is going to without a doubt say yes according to sources he says so he just wants to make it memorable with a carriage ride and all that jazz.

I can't imagine the idea of proposing without already knowing the answer.

I worked at Abuelos during college and some dude popped the question during lunch and she said no. That was awkward.
mike_ags_fan12
La Gloria
mike_ags_fan12
GT_Aggie2015 said:

Hi all. I'm helping a buddy with his engagement and he wants to have dinner the night of somewhere downtown or along the Riverwalk followed by a carriage ride. Any suggestions? Keep it decently priced and no preference on food. Just not sushi...

You're not third wheeling on the carriage ride, are you?

Awkward..
GT_Aggie2015
AG
Hell no! Lol I'm just helping him with logistics. My other friend will be discretely photographing.
bonfarr
AG
Grey Moss Inn
The Lurker
AG
SA Texas Ag said:

Bella on the River a quaint romantic restaurant on the river try the eggplant appetizer wine and beer only. consistently ranks high on the best restaurants in the city. Bohanan's they can make it right for a special occasion but at the high end in price.
+1 for this and then walk over to get dessert at Chart House in Tower of the Americas overlooking the city.
Represent830
AG
Bella
GT_Aggie2015
AG
Thanks for the recommendations. He ended up proposing out at some vineyard/winery near Fredericksburg. But, he did ended up going to Bella on the River afterward to celebrate!
jgh85Ag
AG
Tell him not to let her eat the cake.
Ted Logan
AG
Southerleigh. Then stay at Hotel Emma
brotheraggie
Good Luck!!
Tursiops93
AG
If they are carnivores (LOL), The Brazilian Steakhouses downtown are awesome. Fogo de Chao and Texas De Brazil. Nice atmospheres with a different dining experience and great food. Both are right downtown and close to catching carriages and/or going to the Riverwalk.
GT_Aggie2015
AG
Guys, it's over. The engagement is done. Read my update above.
aggie_fan13
AG
GT_Aggie2015 said:

so whens the engagement ?
GT_Aggie2015
AG
azulAg said:

GT_Aggie2015 said:

so whens the engagement ?
You *******.
aggie_fan13
AG
Tursiops93
AG
But did she say yes or should he have chosen a different restaurant???
AgsMyDude
AG
Bohanans is amazing
GT_Aggie2015
AG
She said yes! They want a short engagement and she wants a Sept date but all of us told him we wouldn't show up because of football.
jgh85Ag
AG
If she insists on Sept it might be a short engagement.
GT_Aggie2015
AG
jgh85Ag said:

If she insists on Sept it might be a short engagement.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.